Tyres for 18inch coke bottle alloys

James Hilliard

Reaction score
Hi,
I have heard and read mixed stories regarding fitting 225/40/18 tyres on the 18 wheels.
Do they fit or don't they?
Do you need spacers to make them fit without rubbing?
I saw an S1 the other day with them on but on OZ wheels not standard ones.

Thanks

They do fit, might be a bit of rubbing on full lock.

No idea why so many do it, claiming ride comfort. I've had harder riding cars, I think the S1 is pretty good tbh. I certainly won't be moving away from 35 profile. Is there a reason why you want to do it, other than other people have?

When I was at CPL Automotive having my Sachs clutch fitted last week the guy there said my tyres were getting ready, which they are and he suggested it, said it helps the ride a lot, and was a popular thing S1 owners do.
But when I put my hand between my wheel and arch liner on the rear it seems pretty tight so thought I'd ask the question as I've ordered 4 new Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 5's and was worried they wouldn't fit

Hi,
I have heard and read mixed stories regarding fitting 225/40/18 tyres on the 18 wheels.
Do they fit or don't they?
Do you need spacers to make them fit without rubbing?
I saw an S1 the other day with them on but on OZ wheels not standard ones.

Thanks

I ran STD OEM 18-inch 7.5J ET39.5 OEM Audi 5-spoke Rotor wheels on my 185bhp A1 Black Edition A1 - the OEM tyre was a 225/35/18

But I changed and for SUMMER used a 225/40/R18 (92Y) XL (Extra Load) Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres

And for WINTER a
225/40/R18 (92V) XL (Extra Load) Toyo Snowprox tyres - and just brilliant they were!

No problem at all:

P1030560 A1 Winters PS: these winter tyres and rims are still for sale (A1 now replaced with an SQ5)

A1 Summers

Hi 45 bvtc,

Thanks for your reply, very helpful and puts my mind at ease, my wheels are different but hopefully will be ok, I'm not sure what the et is on the standard coke bottle alloy.

Hi 45 bvtc,

Thanks for your reply, very helpful and puts my mind at ease, my wheels are different but hopefully will be ok, I'm not sure what the et is on the standard coke bottle alloy.

The original AUDI A1/S1 8X S Line 'Coke bottle rim' has the Audi Part Number 8X0601025BS and those had an ET of 37.5mm

See: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original...512274?hash=item48d33b1e52:g:W68AAOSwn~JeKHGT

However, the original AUDI A1/S1 8X S Line Black Edition 'Rotors had an Audi Part Number 8X0601025M and those had an ET of 39.5mm

So for you, James, your rims will be 2mm inset i.e., 2mm closer to the inner wheel arch/suspension so may well touch on full lock; take care, you may need a spacer.

Otherwise, James, feel free to consider my rotors...

When I was at CPL Automotive having my Sachs clutch fitted last week the guy there said my tyres were getting ready, which they are and he suggested it, said it helps the ride a lot, and was a popular thing S1 owners do.
But when I put my hand between my wheel and arch liner on the rear it seems pretty tight so thought I'd ask the question as I've ordered 4 new Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 5's and was worried they wouldn't fit

Yeah it is popular but mainly because a lot of them think they ride hard for some reason - perhaps the roads are much worse than where I live. I don't find the ride hard (in dynamic all of the time). I see no need to go up a profile.

Mine is a late car so I suppose it's not impossible Audi adjusted something but I've been in far harder riding non hot hatch/sports so I really don't think it warrants it but each to their own as they say :icon thumright:

Hi Phazer, I think in dynamic it is an overly hard ride, mine is a 2016 plate. So a little more meat on the tyres will hopefully make the ride less harsh.

Hi Phazer, I think in dynamic it is an overly hard ride, mine is a 2016 plate. So a little more meat on the tyres will hopefully make the ride less harsh.

Fair enough, as I say each to their own. Based on feedback I've seen the 40 profile should do what you need. Hopefully you'll be putting some decent tyres on like PS4's?

Had them fitted yesterday, fine on the back , fine on the left front, on the right front with full left hand down it rubs by a mil but literally holding full lock down so it's fine.
I put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's on all round. And yes, the ride is less harsh and quieter.

Reactions: Phazer and 45bvtc
Just as an update for those wanting the 40 profile tyre, Michelin will be releasing the PS4S variant of this tyre very soon..

I have H&R springs on mine, so not sure whether it will be compatible. I suspect the PS4S will be better than the Mich super sports with 35 profile, as PS4S is allot newer technology..

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread. Really considering the size up to 40 purely to be able to buy the PS4, anyone else gone to 40 on the coke bottle wheels? Thanks