Facelift Tyres and PCP

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the tyre guidelines are when trading the car back in after the PCP has ended?
When I was looking to trade in my privately owned A3 8P the Audi dealer had a checklist of things that affected the value. One of them was obviously the tread depth, but I'm sure there was something about having brands matching.
I've got the original Bridgestone's on mine and the fronts are going to need changing soon. They've done 15k miles, so I was wondering whether I can swap brands, or if I'd be better sticking to the same all round.
I don't want to save myself £50 on tyres only to find that they knock £250 off my value for having to swap tyres before selling it on.

I thought 15k was a little low after seeing people with S3's getting 24k. I don't drive it hard, but I do a fair bit of parallel parking in tight spots so there's a lot of lock to lock steering while not moving that's probably scrubbed them.

S3 tyres don't last long to be honest. My car has done 24,000 miles and is near the end of it's second set. I have Conti sport 6's on mine.

I think as long as the tyres are comparable, there shouldn't be any issues. Hand it back with re-mould eco tyres, or a very cheap brand, and they may have claim to say they need to re-tyre the car to manufactures recommended tyres. They have to move the car on at the end of the day. And who's going to want to buy an S3 with sh!t tyres on it?

From previous PCP returns my dealer told me that as long as they are legal they don’t really care, if matches the dealer criteria it’ll get new tyres and sold as approved stock, failing that the car will go to auctions without much doing to it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm tempted to look at other brands as the Bridgestone's are quite pricey and didn't really amaze me in any particular way, but I'd always go for a premium brand.
I wish I'd changed them a couple of weeks ago, they were awful in the snow with about 3mm of tread left. I also wished I'd gone for a quattro, but now we're back to drizzle I'm happy with my 2wd 1.4 and saving the petrol money for my weekend car.

I'm not going to ask for tyres recommendations as there are probably a million threads on that, but are there any premium tyres I should avoid?

Does anyone know what the tyre guidelines are when trading the car back in after the PCP has ended?
When I was looking to trade in my privately owned A3 8P the Audi dealer had a checklist of things that affected the value. One of them was obviously the tread depth, but I'm sure there was something about having brands matching.
I've got the original Bridgestone's on mine and the fronts are going to need changing soon. They've done 15k miles, so I was wondering whether I can swap brands, or if I'd be better sticking to the same all round.
I don't want to save myself £50 on tyres only to find that they knock £250 off my value for having to swap tyres before selling it on.

I thought 15k was a little low after seeing people with S3's getting 24k. I don't drive it hard, but I do a fair bit of parallel parking in tight spots so there's a lot of lock to lock steering while not moving that's probably scrubbed them.
You could look online at the fair wear and tear guide and get the info direct from Audi.

Are you handing it back or trading it in .... If your trading it in badly worn tyres will affect the price

S3 tyres don't last long to be honest. My car has done 24,000 miles and is near the end of it's second set. I have Conti sport 6's on mine.
End of the 2nd set!!! I sold the S3 at 17,000 mile still on the first set, think they were down to about 4mm.

I'll be looking for something better wearing than Bridgestones. Less than 11k and the front ones are ready for changing. Or is tyre life proportional to how much enjoyment you have had from them?

This is from the guide........

Acceptable
• ‘E’ mark European Standard tyre
• Correct size and speed ratings
• Minimum 2 mm tread depth across all treads, including
the spare
All vehicles must be returned with a spare wheel, space
saver spare wheel or a complete tyre inflation kit.

Not acceptable
• Less than 2 mm tread depth across all treads, including
the spare
• Uneven wear
• Incorrect speed rating
• Remoulds or tyres without a European Standard ‘E’ mark
• Any bulge, gouge, crack, cut, plugged or torn sidewall

Reactions: danb986
Weird, I’ve had Bridgestones on and off on my cars for years and they wear incredibly well?

I go through a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres a year. Circa mileage ~15K.

I'd be trading it in and going on another PCP, so I'll need to keep them happy.
Thanks Flowrider, that was the list I was looking for. I'd found it online before, but I was damned if I could find it again.

If you are trading in and not handing the car back then it will depend on the dealer what they are happy to accept. The normal rules wont necessarily apply.