Tyres and other maintenance questions

Ryanytchan

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few questions for the A3 (1.8 quattro):
1. Are the stock Continentals good? (Grip is my priority here)
When I test drove they were quite noisy. I did some research and have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (will this work in winter as well cause it seems to be a summer tyre) pop up a few times as a good tyre. Is 225/40 R18 92Y XL with rim protection (MFS) the correct specification and is mytyres.co.uk the cheapest site to get it from? They're quoting 108 per tyre now. Also if I get new tyres should I hold on to the old ones or sell them off as they're practically new?

2. Do you need an oil change after the first 1000 miles?

3. How long will the battery last without starting up the car? A few months? Is it safer to install a battery cut off switch?

4. I've bought the 3 year service plan as well, how often should the service intervals be set at? Is this dependent on how many miles I do and can I simply rely on the car to tell me its time for an oil change? I just want to take good care of the engine.

Thanks in advance :)

I have had a variety of tyres on 8p quattros and other Audi quattros too. A4/5/6 and 7.

In my opinion the following order give the best balance of noise and grip.

1 Michelin pilot sport
2 Dunlop maxx
3 continental
4 Goodyear
5 Pirelli

Current 8p came with bridge stones and ok for noise and handling but they wear out at over twice the rate of michelins on previous Almost identical 8P Quattro 170 TDi

Just paid £410 for x 4 Dunlops. £450 minus Tesco petrol voucher for £40

1. A few threads and differing opinions on this forum will give you some interesting reading on what tyres are good and whether the car has excessive road noise. IMHO, I have found the Conti's to be fine for grip, yes you do get some road noise on certain surfaces but I find this is due to the fact that engine and wind noise are much less then my previous 8P. in relation to your question on grip not sure there is enough history yet on the 8V as would need someone to be on their second set of tyres to be able ot make a valid real-life comparison but i am sure there are views on those with experience with other Audi's.
2.NO

3. why would you not want to start the car for severla months - sacrilige
4. The car will tell you when you need a service, you just need to sort out with your dealer whether you want variable or fixed service intevals which will depend on your average annual mileage.

1. A few threads and differing opinions on this forum will give you some interesting reading on what tyres are good and whether the car has excessive road noise. IMHO, I have found the Conti's to be fine for grip, yes you do get some road noise on certain surfaces but I find this is due to the fact that engine and wind noise are much less then my previous 8P. in relation to your question on grip not sure there is enough history yet on the 8V as would need someone to be on their second set of tyres to be able ot make a valid real-life comparison but i am sure there are views on those with experience with other Audi's.
2.NO

3. why would you not want to start the car for severla months - sacrilige
4. The car will tell you when you need a service, you just need to sort out with your dealer whether you want variable or fixed service intevals which will depend on your average annual mileage.
Alright, sounds like there's not an urgent need to switch out the tyres for better performance then.. how many miles do the Continentals typically last?
I might be out of the country hence the start up question

Got 24000 out of a set of Michelins on an 08 8p quattro TDi 170. The similar 2011 ripped through 6 Bridgestones in a similar period. Can only comment on Contis on A5's . Great handling tyre and cheap but not as long lasting as Dunlop SP Maxx (255/35 19)

Quite frankly I would wear out those you have and then decide.

Thanks for the info. Any idea if these stock tyres provide rim protection? Also how often do you need to rotate the tyres if it's a quattro?

Last edited:
Another Quattro question.

I know it's good practice on either RWD or FWD cars to replace the opposing wheel if you have replace one. When you have a Quattro is it good practice to replace all four when you have to change one or should I just stick to the opposing?

The Quattro has a front wheel drive bias so I would have thought tyre wear would be greater on the fronts. Thus I am sure you change the tyres as you would a normal front wheel drive car...

The Quattro has a front wheel drive bias so I would have thought tyre wear would be greater on the fronts. Thus I am sure you change the tyres as you would a normal front wheel drive car...
I thought so too, but is there a specific mileage where you would rotate them or is it dependent on wear?

Another Quattro question.

I know it's good practice on either RWD or FWD cars to replace the opposing wheel if you have replace one. When you have a Quattro is it good practice to replace all four when you have to change one or should I just stick to the opposing?

I think it's more to do with replacing tyres on the same axle rather than if it's rwd or fwd or Quattro tbh

No other road tyre can touch the Michelin pilot super sports!

I think it's more to do with replacing tyres on the same axle rather than if it's rwd or fwd or Quattro tbh

Are you using them on your S3? What's the verdict?

Don't have the S3 yet buddy but they will be going on in the spring no doubt!

Well the contis arnt all weather tyres anyway so no. The pss are miles ahead of the contis and I wouldn't use summer tyres in winter anyway. I have two sets of tyres now one for winter one for summer, best way forward for sure. Michelin pss and alpine ftw!

That's what I was saying about replacing the tyres. I've PS3's on my current car, seem ok and they have a 'anti kerbing' moulding to the sidewall for what it is worth. The problem with any low profile tyre is that the kerbs can often tend to be higher.

As I think I have posted elsewhere, I have run quattro Audis for many years and am of the view that if one axle front/ rear has 5mm or more stick the new pair on the front.

Make sure tracking etc is ok..

As I think I have posted elsewhere, I have run quattro Audis for many years and am of the view that if one axle front/ rear has 5mm or more stick the new pair on the front.

Make sure tracking etc is ok..
Any views on rotation mate?

That's what I was saying about replacing the tyres. I've PS3's on my current car, seem ok and they have a 'anti kerbing' moulding to the sidewall for what it is worth. The problem with any low profile tyre is that the kerbs can often tend to be higher.

I have PS3's on my GTi and love them, but they provide no anti-kerbing for my alloys, judging from the state of them. Maybe GTi alloys stand prouder than most? I never thought to check on the A3 how easy it's going to be to kerb them.

No they need to be 92 extra load. There not actually out yet but supposed to be imminent. Wouldn't really want to use them over winter either tbh.

Yes, I strongly recommend winter tyres. A set of Goodyear Ultragrips will go straight onto mine the day after delivery.

My a3 won't be here till April, so I'm thinking of getting the pss if 92 load is out then come winter time switch them out

You may not be insured if you deviate from manufacturers recommended tyre spec ie 92Y and correct size ! Worth a check. Audi will also not (so I am told ) retail a car with non approved bits, so you may take a hit at resale time. Buying cheap non original stuff is not a wise idea.

Well the tyre question seems to have been answered comprehensively.

Oil change at 1000, it's not necessary but getting it done wont hurt any. With modern technology and production methods there's less wear these days in a new engine than there was many years ago. Oils are better, as is filtration. But if it gives you piece of mind get it done. Running is is all important, there's lots of opinions but as Audi make the cars then I suggest you follow their advice in the handbook.

Battery's do not like to be left standing, there are small drains on modern cars, so it will eventually go flat. But even if you leave it disconnected it has a high chance to sulphate, thats difficult to recover from, with modern battery chargers they can reduce the plate sulphation but not remove the effects completely. So best option for anything over a couple of weeks is to connect up a battery charger, there are many made to constantly monitor and cycle the battery to keep it in tip top condition.
CTEK are very good.
Battery Chargers & Conditioners For Cars