Tyre/Wheel tolerances for 19" V spoke B9 S4

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Morning homies.

Just had rear left tyre changed due to slow puncture. Just got a cheapie as I'm changing to all weathers/winters next month.

I asked the lads what my wheel tolerances were for tyre size as I really want the Michelin Cross-climates and I'm struggling to find them for the S4.

I've seen some 19" sizes for say...an SUV or alike but these 245s are weird.

Anybody know just how much wider, lower/larger profile etc you can go with these V spoke 19s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.willtheyfit.com

That's a good site so you can try out some options. They used to use 255/35/19 tyres so I can't see it being a massive issue with them?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
http://www.willtheyfit.com

That's a good site so you can try out some options. They used to use 255/35/19 tyres so I can't see it being a massive issue with them?

Hey bud. Yeah I seen this site but I don't know the wheel specs/offset etc to tinker with the calculator. You know them? Yeah, used to be 255 and 96 load rating. Wonder if slighter less width aids their new MPG figures Tyres on the drive bring up the 255 when you put your reg in.

Not sure of the wheel sizes off the top of my head, I think they're an 8.5" ET38 or thereabouts?

If you're just comparing tyre sizes then you can just choose something close as that's not the bit you're changing on the site anyhow.

I've actually heard good things about the Nokian winter tyres. And anything is better than normal summer tyres when it gets really cold and snowy.

Not sure of the wheel sizes off the top of my head, I think they're an 8.5" ET38 or thereabouts?

If you're just comparing tyre sizes then you can just choose something close as that's not the bit you're changing on the site anyhow.

I've actually heard good things about the Nokian winter tyres. And anything is better than normal summer tyres when it gets really cold and snowy.

Haha. Well...yeah. Good point. I guess that's what I'm ultimately after. When I just got the car last December, the brand new Hankooks were SCARY on the snow. It's a miracle the car got to where it needed to be.

Watched some reviews recently and any summer tyre is just a no no.

Reactions: Daggerit
Morning homies.

Just had rear left tyre changed due to slow puncture. Just got a cheapie as I'm changing to all weathers/winters next month.

I asked the lads what my wheel tolerances were for tyre size as I really want the Michelin Cross-climates and I'm struggling to find them for the S4.

I've seen some 19" sizes for say...an SUV or alike but these 245s are weird.

Anybody know just how much wider, lower/larger profile etc you can go with these V spoke 19s?

OEM 19" wheels are 8.5 ET 40.

I asked the Dealer Principal, who has done car racing, who in-turn, asked Audi Australia about this subject, as I noticed A5/S5 have 255 x 35 OEM's.
AA advised the A5/S5 have in-fact, wider wheel wells to accept the wider tyres, and 245 x 35 is the maximum width Audi would homologate for Aust.

Our S4 actually has 19 x 9 wheels, as did not like any of the wheels available ex-factory.

The test car had Hankook tyres, and saw no problem with a 1/2" wider ET 42 OZ racing wheel. However, our S4 arrived with Pirelli P Zero 245 x 35 tyres, which were transferred over to the wider wheels. Because the Pirelli's have a very wide 'cone' style sidewall, they actually protrude by the tiniest margin outside the guard. They will be replaced in time with Bridgestone 001's tyres, possibly 255's, which have a more conventional vertical sidewall.

I am not very technically minded, but to me, with a minimal 40 vs 42 ET difference, a 1/2" wider wheel only makes the wheel 1/4" closer to the guard. So, owners who fit 12mm (1/2") spacers actually make the wheel the full 1/2" closer to the guard.

I had the Nokians on my XF and they were a good tyre. Felt good when the temps got low, especially as it was rear wheel drive.
I won't hesitate in getting them again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OEM 19" wheels are 8.5 ET 40.

I asked the Dealer Principal, who has done car racing, who in-turn, asked Audi Australia about this subject, as I noticed A5/S5 have 255 x 35 OEM's.
AA advised the A5/S5 have in-fact, wider wheel wells to accept the wider tyres, and 245 x 35 is the maximum width Audi would homologate for Aust.

Our S4 actually has 19 x 9 wheels, as did not like any of the wheels available ex-factory.

The test car had Hankook tyres, and saw no problem with a 1/2" wider ET 42 OZ racing wheel. However, our S4 arrived with Pirelli P Zero 245 x 35 tyres, which were transferred over to the wider wheels. Because the Pirelli's have a very wide 'cone' style sidewall, they actually protrude by the tiniest margin outside the guard. They will be replaced in time with Bridgestone 001's tyres, possibly 255's, which have a more conventional vertical sidewall.

I am not very technically minded, but to me, with a minimal 40 vs 42 ET difference, a 1/2" wider wheel only makes the wheel 1/4" closer to the guard. So, owners who fit 12mm (1/2") spacers actually make the wheel the full 1/2" closer to the guard.

Not technically minded? You certainly sound it Great info there. I 'thought' the S5 had 255s...

The Nokians make a 245 so all is well but you think a 255 would be fine then?

I had the Nokians on my XF and they were a good tyre. Felt good when the temps got low, especially as it was rear wheel drive.
I won't hesitate in getting them again.

Good good. I compared them to all the competition and they had B grade in Wet and C for fuel. Also the quietest. So, I'm happy going for these.

Anybody used Mytyres.co.uk before? They stick them. I've asked tyresonthedrive.co.uk and they can't get the Nokians.

I think I bought mine from mytyres. I had the spare set of wheels refurbed so I had the tyres delivered direct to them. No problems with mytyres.

Do Audi charge (silly question) for fitting tyres?

Say, if I buy these Nokians from mytyres now (they're on sale) and take them to Audi in a month, what are they likely to charge to fit them?

Cheers

Minimum 225 to maximum 255 width on the stock wheel

Not technically minded? You certainly sound it Great info there. I 'thought' the S5 had 255s...

The Nokians make a 245 so all is well but you think a 255 would be fine then?

Sorry for the late reply.
Do not know enough about Nokians, so can not comment.
With 255's, it will depend on how vertical the sidewall is.
Perhaps other members and/or the tyre dealer can assist with that.