Tyre wear

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
I'm shocked to see that my front tyres are wearing quite harshly especially in the centre. I've done 7800 miles and the centre ring on my Pirelli Pzero's is nearly at the flat spot! Is this the same on everyone elses? Both fronts are at exactly the same level. I mean I've never spun my wheels never skidded to a stop and I've only had the ABS cut in once and that was in the rain. The wear rate seems really bad.
When are you recomended to replace them? I'm on the maintenance thingy as well so I take it they'll replace like for like (Pirelli for Pirelli)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

well mate in my opinion your tyres are over inflated, what size are yours and have you checked the pressure in them. would of thought about 32 in the tyres.

I checked the pressure about 3 weeks ago and they we what ever the sticker said inside the petrol flap (can't remember what that was). I'll let some out. Maybe they were over inflated from new!!

Maybe time to change your pressure gauge reader? If its a local garage one you are using, they are notoriously inaccurate.

I thought Pirellis were pretty hard wearing.

It's the local ASDA one!! Maybe I'll try the BP garage next time! I'll call in tonight and check - Thanks for that I didn't think about that.

No probs - remembered reading a report on garage air pumps recently. Found the link now:

Click here

Slightly scaremongering report perhaps but still probably worth a trip to Halfords to buy a decent gauge imo, for the convenience factor if nothing else.

Should really check your tyre pressures every week - could one day save your life

There are about two or three setting inside the car depending on ladened or not defo about 32psi.

hi ive got audi tt and noticed my front tyres wearing in middle as well at bout 8000 miles now the backs are getting near the limit at 9000, have checked pressure every other wk and go by the pressure guide on the sticker in fuel cap must admit bit peeed off as tyres are £120 a piece

i always over inflate at the garage,then adjust the pressure using a digital gauge i got from halfords,seems to be ok,never trust a gauge at a garage!.

Looks like i'll be taking a trip to halfords tonight or at the weekend then!! Thanks tho guys!

I have exactly the same problem with mine but it has done 11k, reckon they will need replacing in 2-3k time. The rears are near perfect......

same as, i've done 8 1/2 k and mine are starting to bald in the middle, the flap says tyre pressure 36psi at the front and 34 rear.

cheers

migzy

So it aint just me.... that makes me feel better! Might be worth lowering the PSI in the tyre a little to slow this process down?!?!

I don't pay for my tyres (lease car) so I am not really that bothered, but it does seem a little odd... my sticker lists 35/30 standard pressures for 225s on 18s.....

pirelli thingys steve, your like this one had brake fluid change today and mentioned the fact that my tyres would need replacing to service bloke, he said that i should get more mileage out of them than the 8k 9k and that it is either pressure in them or it could be the quattro system, which isnt covered by warranty, if they checked the quattro system it would cost £290, i asked why it wasnt covered by warranty and he explained that due to the fact that i may have been driving the car up and down kerbs at speed, audi would not cover the work. Also when i got home after 25 mins on motorway noticed brake fluid on bonnet and grill, Audi have assured me that new brake fluid does not corrode paint work if taken off in time It better not either.

[ QUOTE ]
Audi have assured me that new brake fluid does not corrode paint work if taken off in time It better not either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bear in mind that Audi say the same thing about bird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pirelli thingys

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure these are as hard wearing as the Michs Pilot Sports that they also put on TTs, but still - 8/9k mls out of them doesn't sound good enough.

I used to run pirellis on my old Fiat Coupe Turbo and putting 230 bhp thru the front end meant I was lucky if I got 9k out of them. The michelin are definately are harder compound.

Contray to audis beliefs new brake fluid DOES disscolour the paint work and my car is booked in for respray soon, only good thing about this saga is that ill get to test drive a different model for 2 days

[ QUOTE ]
Contray to audis beliefs new brake fluid DOES disscolour the paint work and my car is booked in for respray soon, only good thing about this saga is that ill get to test drive a different model for 2 days

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very poor customer service mate. Are they compensating you for the hassle, free service next time?

no havent tried that yet, the two streaks that where diss coloured have now dissapered but the paint has gone back to the black about quarter of inch, im just glad i took it back otherwise they may have just said that i had done it, ill have to try the compensation route when i take it down there, bit peeved as i said its only about quarter of inch where the paint has gone, cant believe the streaks which where about half inch and 1 inch in lengh have dissapered im just wondering if they hadnt tried to wax them out if the paint would have been ok today perhaps he went mad with the wax

Back to the subject posted.... I had 31.5 in the fronts and 33 in the backs! I've changed these to match the pressures inside the fuel cap... (30/29) So not far off. And the car handles completly different lets hope the tread lasts until the service.... I'll be keeping a close eye on um!

17"s from the looks of his signature...

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the subject posted.... I had 31.5 in the fronts and 33 in the backs! I've changed these to match the pressures inside the fuel cap... (30/29) So not far off. And the car handles completly different lets hope the tread lasts until the service.... I'll be keeping a close eye on um!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilko, I have been running 32 front, 36 rear for the last 12-13k miles in a successful attempt to reduce understeer. I am now on 16k miles and fronts are half worn and rears are a third worn. If anything the fronts are still wearing out a little more on the inner edges. The nearside rear on the outer edge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is with conti 2's

Japper, sounds similar wear to what I'm getting. I'm on Michelin Pilot Sports. Done 16k also and reckon I'm down to about 3mm on the front left, the rears are OK. The outer edge of the front left seems to be wearing a bit quicker though.

The front right is a Pirelli PZero. Not sure why this was changed as it was on there when I bought the car at 6,000 miles. Its in really good condition but I've no idea how many miles are on it. At least 10k I suppose. I might look at changing the rest to PZero's when they wear down since its looking really good.

I'm on about 33/34 front and back.

Mine are Pzero's the backs are fine but the fronts aren't wearing good at all! Seem grippier now I havent got as many PSI's in them!

Wilko, on a different subject - do you know of anywhere in Notts which will fit tyres at a reasonable cost (and not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif up my alloys)?

Just bought a pair of Eagle F1s and been so busy I've had them in my boot for over a week!

Had a few quotes (at around £20) but don't trust half of them.

Can anyone recommend anywhere local?

The P-Zero tyres are notorious for high wear rates I had a new Saab 9-5 Aero (250bhp/350nm torque) a couple of years ago and wiped out a set of 4 in 11,000 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Other 9-5 Aero owners experienced even worse wear rates - 9000 miles being about the average. The Mich Premacy Pilots I had on the previous year's Aero lasted for 26,000 miles plus but were very noisy. The P-Zeros are quiet, even on poor road surfaces with tremendous grip - almost 'sticky' to the touch.

That's the choice in the end - road noise is much lower with soft tyres (P-Zeros) and the wear rates higher. Get a better wearing tyre and it will be noisier with less grip.

When I got the P-Zeros replaced the Kwik-Fit fitter said that none of the big fleet companies will permit Pirelli P-Zeros to be replaced like for like - the tires reputation goes before it!

Oh yes and the Saab(s) were mine so I was buying the tyres.......ouch.

Depends where you live in Notts mate. I no a few places in the northern end of Notts which'll fit them for peanuts but I haven't used um since owning the Audi!! Not sure wheather I'd trust them on my new alloys. I'll have a think matey and if I remember somewhere I'll post it up!

No problem - probably going to go to Smart Car in Beeston on a friends suggestion - he had all four of his new alloys wrapped in rubber there. Quoted me £9 per wheel - will let you know how I get on.

What can I say? They fitted them with no scratches and with minimum fuss. Fast and professional. Got them done on my lunch today.

Can highly recommend them!

emailed pirelli and the reply was that anywhere between 10 and 20k is classed as normal tyre wear for the pzeros

Hmm, just had my A3 serviced and it seems the PZero is actually worse than the Pilot Sport on the other side.

PZero = 3mm
Pilot SPort = 4mm

I thought the PZero looked in better shape but it might be the difference in tread pattern that creates that illusion.

Anyway, that makes it a lot quicker wearing so I'll be getting 2 new Pilot Sports soon I think.

Mmmm, I've got Pilot Sport P2 225 R18 45 all round. Changed the front ones at 23k, which I thought was pretty good all in. Most of my travelling is motorway 80-90mph (apart from M4 Reading-M'head @ 8am on Monday!). Got them fiited by a company called Event Mobile Tyres for <£300, who offer a mobile fitting service, so came out to my office and fitted them in the car park while I was a in meeting. Kwik Fit wanted >£400 for exact same tyres. Can recommend Event Mobile Tyres to anyone in SE, no dinks in me S-line alloys, which is crucial! Monkeys at Kwik Fit don't have the same care and attention I have found in the past.