Tyre wear on S3?

One Spoke

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick question.

I got my used S3 a year and a half ago and changed all four tyres last March. I went for Goodyear F1 Asymetrics having read good things about them on here, and haven't been disappointed.

I have done about 13,000 miles on them since and they are down to 3-4 mm all round. I was expecting the fronts to wear down faster than the rears, but they are wearing evenly. Is this common? (I guess at least it shows my Haldex is working :laugh:)

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy with 15k on a set of tyres (shame that's just over a year's driving though!) but was hoping to not have to buy them four at a time.

As for replacements, I've read that the Michelin PS3 is not actually a direct replacement of the PS2 and that a new Michelin Cup (?) tyre is due out soon which will be the PS2's replacement - can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Pete

maybe its because it 4wd its wearing like that i thought that was a common thing with 4wd cars
You're probably right. It's just that I've heard of others getting more miles out of the rears and I wondered if this is because the Haldex 4WD is not always engaged - i.e. in 'normal' driving it is FWD?

If that is the case, then clearly I give it too much stick - but I never do hard launches, I stick to 60mph on my 55 mile round trip daily commute and average about 30mpg, so it must be the play times at the weekends that do the damage?!

looks like it! Still, no point having an S3 and driving like a granny all the time!