Tyre Wear - is it normal

cjp2k

Reaction score
Hi guys, my tyre wear isn't that even on the front wheels, the middle and outer edges are around 5ml, while the inner is around 4ml.

I do plan on getting the alignment done when i replace the tyres, however is this normal, i presume the car has some negative camber on it, and it pulls straight, just slightly odd tyre wear...

Sound to me like you have toe out like this \ / or negative camber.

Equal toe out on both sides would still make it go in a straight line.

I wouldn’t say it’s normal to have the inner wear more than the rest of the tread.

Only normal wear is even wear across all the tread or slightly more worn in the centre. The latter tends to happen when you do a lot of motorway driving for long periods. The centrifugal force of a wheel pushes the tyre outwards.

Sound to me like you have toe out like this \ / or negative camber.

Equal toe out on both sides would still make it go in a straight line.

I wouldn’t say it’s normal to have the inner wear more than the rest of the tread.

Only normal wear is even wear across all the tread or slightly more worn in the centre. The latter tends to happen when you do a lot of motorway driving for long periods. The centrifugal force of a wheel pushes the tyre outwards.

Agreed. Or something wrong with the camber as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, my tyre wear isn't that even on the front wheels, the middle and outer edges are around 5ml, while the inner is around 4ml.

I do plan on getting the alignment done when i replace the tyres, however is this normal, i presume the car has some negative camber on it, and it pulls straight, just slightly odd tyre wear...

I suggest you get the front alignment checked ASAP (rather than when you change tyres) because that's one of the main reasons which can cause uneven tyre wear on the front tyres.

Well i have rechecked the tread and ot looks like its slightly more worn in the centre. My tread depth guage was playing up and changing when i removed it from the tyre...

I do about 50 miles a day and 45 of those are motorway speeds

Sounds like it could potentially be slightly over inflated then if just the middle is a little low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WesT-gefül
About half a mm difference all pressures are to the spec on the car.... Presuming the petrol station air line is correct

Half a mm difference across a tread is nothing to be concerned about.

Apparently there can be up to 1mm difference across a tread.

My tyres after 10000 miles we’re up to 1mm more worn in the centres than the inner and outer.

Half a mm difference across a tread is nothing to be concerned about.

Apparently there can be up to 1mm difference across a tread.

My tyres after 10000 miles we’re up to 1mm more worn in the centres than the inner and outer.

Mines on 6 k so about correct then...

Wearing in the middle other than over inflation is hard corners. Sitting on half the tyre going round.
Actually, hard cornering wears the outside of the tyres. Negotiating a right hand corner quickly, the roll of the vehicle will put the wear on the outside of the kerbside tyre. Have had to replace tyres that were evenly worn across the face of the tyre, but the outside edges were ******** due to :yes:

Central wear only normally denotes over-inflation. If it is patchy central wear possible worn shocks. As said above, even perfect condition/geometry can result is slightly uneven wear.

Had my car in for some warranty work this morning. Audi flagged up that I needed 4 new tyres, I was aware that they were getting low but when the video showed the inside edges of the front tyres splitting away from the tyre I was really shocked.!! The car has done 22k miles and drives fine not pulling to either side! Booked in to have x4 Pilot Sport 4's fitted tomorrow.

Tyre wear
Tyre wear 2

That looks more like delamination to me and good job its been spotted as the results of the tread coming off completely doesn't bear thinking about...

All four tyres swapped for Pilot Sport 4's - the difference in less road noise and more grip is insane - certainly not going to have anything Pirelli in the future!

Reactions: rasA4

Just had my wheel alignment done yesterday, it was interesting as the mechanic took me under the car to show me why the alignment has never been done even though I paid the dealer for this in December and to point out that the car still has its original shock absorbers even though the same dealer said that they had replaced one of these too. What’s the chances that they put in the new clutch I paid for when the flywheel was replaced do you reckon?