Tyre wear - 2.0Tdi 190

mjcourtney

Reaction score
Morning all. I've just checked the tread on my tyres and realised the fronts are pretty much on the limit. The car is 9 months old and has covered about 9k miles - I can't believe how quick they've worn! Is this normal for FWD diesels? My previous 1.4 A3 managed 20k+ before needing new shoes so i'm pretty surprised at this.

Is this another 'perk' of having a heavy / torquey diesel engine?

What make of tyre and is it even wear across the whole tyre?

My A6 Avant 190 S-Tronic got 25k from the original front set (Bridgestone) with no issues

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 K117 is what it came out the factory with. Yes, wear is even across both tyres.

Pretty much down to the wear indicators already!
1613929598f9e1bbfebcacd4942c384c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It depends upon the manner in which a turbo diesel is driven really, if you are doing some hard acceleration, braking and cornering then, coupled with that heavier front end, this will all have an effect upon tyre wear. I once had a Mondeo 2.0l diesel where the front tyres were completely worn after only 7k, but then it was all around town driving. The Hankooks are a mid range tyre so don't expect them to last as long as a higher range but also the A4, like many Audi's it seems,, appear to be blessed with the ability to spin up the front wheels far easier than any other make I have driven, aside from a cavalier of course which was terrible...

Mine came with Michelin primacy 3s and they're not quite at the limit yet, probably at 2mm, but I've covered 15,500 miles now.

My wife has those same hankooks on her golf and they are at 2mm after 2 years and nearly 18,000 miles.

Mine came with Michelin primacy 3s and they're not quite at the limit yet, probably at 2mm, but I've covered 15,500 miles now.

My wife has those same hankooks on her golf and they are at 2mm after 2 years and nearly 18,000 miles.
Yeah, 18k I think is closer to what I was expecting - not less than half that!

I'll have a look at the Michelin primacy 3s as the Hankook prices are £130+ per corner which doesn't seem very mid-range to me!

Ok when talking tyre wear you need to compare like for like, same cars, same engines same driving conditions. There is no point otherwise because of the variables...

Yeah, 18k I think is closer to what I was expecting - not less than half that!

I'll have a look at the Michelin primacy 3s as the Hankook prices are £130+ per corner which doesn't seem very mid-range to me!

Which size https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=H...id-sonymobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
68% wear rating http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/Ventus-S1-evo2.htm
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91862/hankook-ventus-s1-evo2-review

Last edited:
Totally agree that we should only compare like for like. Interested to hear what mileage other Avant 2.0tdi S-line owners are achieving on the hankooks.

Tyre size/profile is 245/40/18 Y

What make of tyre and is it even wear across the whole tyre?

My A6 Avant 190 S-Tronic got 25k from the original front set (Bridgestone) with no issues

The Bridgestone is a very hard tyre compound I had them on my old Leon which got driven hard and they lasted 19k

****** noisy and poor wet grip however

Reactions: Jelhead
Ok, I never really know how to compare one tyre brand to another, is the Michelin primacy 3 equal to the hankook's, there are so many different types these day it becomes very confusing. Other subjective comments based upon experience also muddy the decision even more...

I'm not much help with the OP query, but your right about the Bridgestone being a hard wearing type, but I've no experience with Hankook - it is not a tyre I would ever buy. The worst tyre for lasting on any of my cars was Continental SC 5.

Currently have Michelin PS4 on my A3, and I can't recommend them enough.

Last edited:
My recently delivered 190tdi Avant S-line came on Pirelli P7 Cinturato tyres. Maybe because it's an Ultra? Only done 1k so far but maybe can report back later with wear rates.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just changed the front's on my 2.0Tdi Sport at 15 500; they were, and are again, Primacy 3 and even on the wear bars they were outstanding in the rain

Not quite on the wear bars on mine and I'm at 16,700 mls.
Hankook Stevo's on 19's

Cuke2's comment about different drivers, different cars etc is so true! But for what it's worth, a few of my experiences are:
Hankooks - had them on a lowly Corsa on the recommendation of the garage who were servicing the car when they noticed that the fronts were at the limit. At that time had never heard of them, but if the garage were recommending them I thought them worth a try. Big disappointment as we were replacing them soon after
Continental Contact Contisport 5s - had these on my A3 8V and there was still plenty of tread left on them at 17,000 miles when I sold it
Pirelli Zero Rosso - had these on my A3 8P. Had to replace the fronts after 14,000 miles which disappointed me somewhat
Bridgestone Turanza - had these on a Seat Altea. Hideously noisy, but when I sold the car at 22,000, the fronts were just getting down to the wear indicators. My A4 Avant has Potenzas and we'll see how they go. Can't say they're particularly noisy but the car is so well insulated it would be hard to tell with the windows all closed. Wife has Bridgestones (not sure which type) on her Ibiza and the fronts will soon need replacing after 15,000-odd miles. They are also very noisy and I'm thinking of Dunlop Sport Maxx or Goodyear Efficient Grip for replacements as they have a lower noise rating

Reactions: mjcourtney
Thanks all. Think I will look at some conti's as replacements as too had them on the A3 and they lasted a good long time.

Left field choices; Nokian Weatherproff or Michelin CrossClimate both excellent in all conditions with very quiet running.

I would expect the 1.4 to be easier on tyre wear as it has less torque than the 2.0l engine and a lighter engine...

As others have said its hard to be specific about the same tyre wear rates from car to car, as driver and conditions play a large factor also, but for what its worth our B9 3.0TDi Sport Quattro 218 Avant has now covered 14k so far and the fronts are nearer the wear indicators than the rears (big engine out front), we'll be switching front to rear in the next month and would anticipate changing all 4 at the same time by the time we get to 15.5-16k.

As our car is a Sport its running Michelin Primacy 3's on 17"s, which have been fine in all weathers, I'd consider switching but as its a company lease its likely to get a new set of the same.

As I stated, the carvand the driving conditions make any advice subjective. I had a 2.0l diesel mondeo where the conti's lasted 7k i had it remapped put on some falkens and they lasted twice as long...

Broadening the subject out slightly, does anybody have any experience of Avon tyres? Watching racing events there are always banners for Avon and the competitors often have it on their post-race baseball caps. My local tyre depot stocks Avon, but I don't know anybody who actually drives them. Are they perhaps more for racing than social, domestic and pleasure?

I put a set of 19" Avon ZZ5 on our previous A6 (2011, TDI 170) back in 2013 as I knew we were changing it in six months and decided to save a few pounds

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/ZZ5_2.htm

Found them to be a very good tyre, and compared very well with the Continental SportContact 2 that the car came with originally - good grip, quieter & no difference to fuel economy, but can't tell you about the longevity

Interesting. Thanks. So they are a mid range tyre and users give excellent feedback on them, well on the zz5s anyway. Doubt if I'll be buying them when the time comes, but at least I now know something about them.

I had the ZZ5's on the rear of my B8 when I bought it, saw toothed within 5k miles and had to replace them with over 5mm of tread left - found the noise unbearable.

From my experience the hankooks are very poor, I found the wet grip really really bad! Managed to scrub them off in just over 8k, then had them replaced with Michelin polo sport 3s which have lasted around 17k, so a lot better and the grip is better all round, quite disappointing that it's in its third set of tyres at 25k to be honest!
190 tdi avant, with DTUK box.

Has anyone noticed the odd tyre size audi have... the 18s are very expensive compared to the more common 225/40/18

Has anyone noticed the odd tyre size audi have... the 18s are very expensive compared to the more common 225/40/18

I noticed this with the B8.5 versus B9 and was curious... For the 19's it's 255-35-19 versus 245-35-19 respectively and makes the price that little higher per corner but I can't see why they changed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My S-Line A4 Quattro 2.0 TDI 190 came from the factory with 245/40/R18 93Y Bridgestone Potenza S001. I have done over 29,000 miles in the first 11 months and I still have 3mm on the front and 4mm on the rear. Mainly long journeys, although my wife wouldn't say that I drive that sensibly! I'm pretty impressed that I've got that kind of mileage on a single set of tyres.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjcourtney
My S-Line A4 Quattro 2.0 TDI 190 came from the factory with 245/40/R18 93Y Bridgestone Potenza S001. I have done over 29,000 miles in the first 11 months and I still have 3mm on the front and 4mm on the rear. Mainly long journeys, although my wife wouldn't say that I drive that sensibly! I'm pretty impressed that I've got that kind of mileage on a single set of tyres.

Wow, you're doing better than me. I have a 218 ps diesel Quattro on the same tyres and fronts are below 3mm after 9k miles. Rears are on 4mm. I had these Bridgestones in run flat guise on my previous BMW and they still had 3mm after 25k so not sure why I'm not getting more from them. I drive like a granny.

I've got the 190 2.0tdi with the Hankooks. 11k miles and fronts were down to 3.8mm.
Swapped them with the rears which were 7mm.