Tyre Troubles

Dubbers1

Top Gear
Reaction score
Found I had a completely flat tyre today because of a mysterious hole near the inner wall

The problem I have is that the tyre is an Avon ZZ-3 that is apparently obsolete so damn near impossible to source

My question is, is it possible to fit a different model tyre as long as its not far from the current tread pattern? I was told i needed the exact same model tyre because of the Quattro system

Pics below:

01032012370.jpg

01032012371.jpg

01032012373.jpg

Any suggestions on tyre choice?

Thanks in advance

Thats rubbish. You can fit any tyre, as long as it's radial. Whats the wear level of the tyre on the other side? If there's going to be much more than 3mm or so difference in tread levels I'd consider buying a new pair and keeping the good one as a spare or selling it seperately.

There have been a few recent threads in the B6 section of tyre recommendations.

With quattro's the key is to have as close a possible match between front and rear tyres in terms of tread depth, from a personal perspective I always have the same tyre spec on the same axle, judging by the photo, the tyres were pretty well worn anyway, so I would check the tread all round on the remaining tyres, new tyres have 8mm, if the tyres on the other axle have less than 6, I would be replacing all 4, I think the official line from Audi is to have less than 2mm difference....

OK thanks

The rears have got good tread still, front have still got 6mm or so, I think I'll get 2 new ones for the front and keep the good front one for a spare for the back

Oh, one other thing, do the new tyres have to be directional like the ones fitted or can I get asymmetrical? Will I notice a handling difference?

Last edited:
You can get assymetrical ones, I very much doubt you would notice any difference.

Reactions: Dubbers1
Tyre looks well worn on edges anyways, is your tracking ok? , never been a bit fan of those avons imo, have fitted loads at work and customers never seem to get decent mileage from them, my choice would be conti's

I think the trackings OK because the other tyres OK, going to get it checked this week anyway

Sidewalls just worn because i drove with it flat without noticing for a while

Wont be going with Avons when i change them all because its the second one thats gone now

I think the trackings OK because the other tyres OK, going to get it checked this week anyway

Sidewalls just worn because i drove with it flat without noticing for a while

Wont be going with Avons when i change them all because its the second one thats gone now

My inner edges were wearing down like yours on my old wheels. Turns out it was because the tyre was catching one of the arms on full lock. Both fronts did it.

Got full tracking done today and damn near everything was way out of line, all adjusted now and I'm happy everythings pulling straight and true

Also managed to source a matching Avon for £130