Tyre topic again

Rickjog

Reaction score
Hi guys, im a owner of a RS3 8V Nardo since one week. Ive got the 8.5j on the fronts.
Im searching for new tyres. Ive seen alot of topics and read alot of them so now i have some questions about some options.

i really like the looks of the OEM Pirellis but i prefer the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S because had them on my A45 AMG they are perfect also for the 1/4 mile drag !

so my first question are the OEM Pirellis from now a days better then before ? Otherwise i would take the Pirellis bevause my rear tyres are 50%

i was considering to take 245/30/19 front and 225/35/19 rear with MPS4S.

last one, do you guys have some pictures of your wheel/tyre combination? Thanks in advance kind regards Rick from Holland

4S, no question, simply the best all round tyre on the planet.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Do a search in this forum, you will find hundreds of owners reviews and pics on this very topic

Do a search in this forum, you will find hundreds of owners reviews and pics on this very topic

As i said ive seen them but didnt find what im looking for.

somebody has 245/30/19 and 225/35/19 on the staggered 8.5j and 8j wheels ?

I've generally run MPS4S but with the new wheels going on I'm going to give the Nitto Invo a try - I don't track the car and do limited hills runs - so for half the price thought I'd give it a go. Will report back once fitted and tested. :)

As i said ive seen them but didnt find what im looking for.

somebody has 245/30/19 and 225/35/19 on the staggered 8.5j and 8j wheels ?

The OEM Pirellis have had consistently poor reports for pre mature wear and being easy to damage on potholes.
I have the ps4s and they are a major improvement on the pirellis.

Most guys in Australia run the ps4s square. Either 245/35 or 235/35 all round. It’s not recommended to run staggered as they are not matched in size like the OEM Pirellis.

In a Australia there are many running the 245/35 tyres all round on the 8.5/8” wheels and that works well.

I think we need to do a tyre sticky on the forum as this is and will be an ongoing question.

Reactions: Rickjog
@Slowracer Thank you very much for your answer. I totaly agree with you about made a tyre sticky.

I see many guys on the forum here they are driving 255 front and 235 rear with the Michelins, with some mathematics i see its 1.8% difference in rolling circumference.
And with 245/30/19 front and 225/35/19 rear its 1.6% so i gues when 255/30/19 and 235/35/19 gives no problem then its has to be good, but wat you said, there are a few problems with staggered setup as we know.

@Slowracer Thank you very much for your answer. I totaly agree with you about made a tyre sticky.

I see many guys on the forum here they are driving 255 front and 235 rear with the Michelins, with some mathematics i see its 1.8% difference in rolling circumference.
And with 245/30/19 front and 225/35/19 rear its 1.6% so i gues when 255/30/19 and 235/35/19 gives no problem then its has to be good, but wat you said, there are a few problems with staggered setup as we know.

I had the staggered PS4S setup fitted last Thursday (255 fronts 235 rears) and not a single instance of TC light so far.

I think the issue may be people fitting different brands on axles. As the rolling radius between brands differs so 255 Michelin on front with 235 pirelli on rear could potentially be an issue or vice versa.

The rolling radius difference between 255 & 235 Michelin will be exactly the same as the difference between 255 & 235 pirelli. RO2 spec are generic for Quattro models and simply have a more angled shoulder rather than a square shoulder from what I've read.

giphy.gif

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Oh yes, forgot the review part lol

Well first of, and this may be a deal breaker for some, these tyres are noisy. Not as noisy as an R-spec tyre but certainly nosier than a MPS4S for example. However, in terms of performance I really don't have any complaints. These things stick to road incredibly well and inspire a lot of confidence through corners. They are progressive in that you can modulate throttle throughout a turn and get usable and effective feedback from the tyres. The ride is solid thanks to relatively stiff sidewalls.

Performance in wet is yet untested - we are just coming in to Autumn here so stay tuned. We did have one wet day and it behaved very well but I wasn't attempting to find it's limits - will save that for a Youtube video maybe! :)

Wear - well it's early days yet but I've done some spirited driving and there doesn't seem to be any glaring issues that have cropped up - still looking minty fresh.

Overall, for the price differential it's a good choice. You will compromise on in vehicle noise, but my stereo is usually that loud that it doesn't bother me, and arguable the Michelins are a more comfortable ride due to softer sidewalls.

Lastly, it may matter to some that are chasing fitment goals, the Nitto 255 is slightly narrower than the Michelin 255 by about 4mm (yes, not all 255's are the same)

Hope that helps some...

I just wacked a set of MPS4S 235/35 on my staggered setup saloon.

Massive difference to feel. The car turns in sharper, feels lighter and is all-round better to drive. The downsides: Slight increase in road noise (nothing the B&O stereo doesn't fix) and a bit more understeer. As a daily driver not a track weapon, definitely better.

Massive difference to feel. The car turns in sharper, feels lighter and is all-round better to drive. The downsides: Slight increase in road noise (nothing the B&O stereo doesn't fix) and a bit more understeer. As a daily driver not a track weapon, definitely better.

Turns in sharper but a bit more understeer

Reactions: Count Drunkula
Turns in sharper but a bit more understeer
Yes. When the front wheels have grip, the resulting change in direction per degree of steering wheel turn feels more responsive. Likely down to sidewall differences between Pirelli and Michelin.

When loss of traction happens, the car under-steers more than previously.

Yes. When the front wheels have grip, the resulting change in direction per degree of steering wheel turn feels more responsive. Likely down to sidewall differences between Pirelli and Michelin.

When loss of traction happens, the car under-steers more than previously.

How many miles have you done on them?

The pirelli rubber on my car was leagues worse for understeer than current PS4S particularly in the wet

My MPS4S'S were the same, did around 500 miles on them. I get what people are saying about the handling but I went back to the Pirellis because the road noise on the Michelins was terrible. Seems to be relevant in only a few peoples cases but on certain road surfaces the noise in the cab was awful.
Checking the pressures and inside edge wear on the Pirrelis weekly now to avoid any disasters. I'd rather be doing that though than putting up with the racket from the Michelins.
To reiterate though most people believe the MPS4S's are the second coming and don't report this issue with them, just not in this case.

My MPS4S'S were the same, did around 500 miles on them. I get what people are saying about the handling but I went back to the Pirellis because the road noise on the Michelins was terrible. Seems to be relevant in only a few peoples cases but on certain road surfaces the noise in the cab was awful.

Are you spending your entire time on the M25 on the M25 J8-12?!

It really is terrible on concrete, now stock wasn't great but the PS4S are a whole other league of din. But on tarmac I can't say I noticed any increase in road noise vs the Bridgestones. I do prefer to run lower pressure in them, not sure if that makes much difference in noise.

Reactions: LaRocK
Are you spending your entire time on the M25 on the M25 J8-12?!

It really is terrible on concrete, now stock wasn't great but the PS4S are a whole other league of din. But on tarmac I can't say I noticed any increase in road noise vs the Bridgestones. I do prefer to run lower pressure in them, not sure if that makes much difference in noise.

Up in Scotland, the worst surface was the A roads and side roads through and between towns, thankfully never had to run em on the M25. Tried various pressure setups and was left dismayed after spending the money on them. Loved the grip, felt the ride was a bit stiffer with them though. Glad lots if people are happy with them though as it's been a contentious issue on the car.