Tyre temperatures

JGRS3

Reaction score
Morning All,

Last night my driver's front tyre pinged up a pressure warning light. I went to petrol station and checked the pressures which were all fine. I topped them up anyway (I think I did 2.8 at the front, 2.7 at the back based on the sticker on the car).

The below picture was taken after about 20 minutes of driving smaller roads and motorway with only me in the car. I noticed the front driver wheel was significantly higher on tyre temperature than the others. I'm wondering whether it might be a faulty sensor...or is there a reason that the tyre temp for the driver's front tyre would be higher because of maybe driver weight or proximity to something hot in the engine bay?!

Probably an easy question for people that know...I've never had a tyre pressure display that also shows tyre temperatures before, so I was curious.
Tyre temps

Morning All,

Last night my driver's front tyre pinged up a pressure warning light. I went to petrol station and checked the pressures which were all fine. I topped them up anyway (I think I did 2.8 at the front, 2.7 at the back based on the sticker on the car).

The below picture was taken after about 20 minutes of driving smaller roads and motorway with only me in the car. I noticed the front driver wheel was significantly higher on tyre temperature than the others. I'm wondering whether it might be a faulty sensor...or is there a reason that the tyre temp for the driver's front tyre would be higher because of maybe driver weight or proximity to something hot in the engine bay?!

Probably an easy question for people that know...I've never had a tyre pressure display that also shows tyre temperatures before, so I was curious.
View attachment 259418
It could be a faulty sensor but if the sensor is indeed working correctly then it could be the signs of the tyre failing in some way. You'll know by touching it vs the others if it is carrying significantly more heat. If it is indeed, I'd be getting it checked at your earliest convenience as you will not want to risk a blowout.

Reactions: JGRS3
Can't help, most of us don't have that feature because it was removed from our cars before we got them! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Jokes aside, I'd look at them right at the start of a journey to see what they say as that's the point the temperatures should all be the same and you'll be able to tell. Also, if the tyre is in the sun and the rest are in the shade you'll find it's a lot hotter.

• Haha
Reactions: DangerMouseUK, Terminator x, IanL-RS3 and 1 other person
Thanks for the replies guys- I'll have a look when they are cold and then most likely get it checked to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Daggerit
Morning All,

View attachment 259418

Always been the same, I used to get variance on the 8V system which is exactly the same as the 8Y system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning All,

View attachment 259418

Also it’s not a 100% accurate system.

I’ve had times when the gauge at the pump tells me one thing, and the TPMS display said another.

The 8V did generate extra heat in its off handed brake disc, one had inner veins going the correct way and that aids heat flow through, the other had them going the wrong way and always ran hotter as a result.

Plus you’ve got to factor in what the front tyres are actually doing load wise.

I’ve had times when the gauge at the pump tells me one thing, and the TPMS display said another.

The 8V did generate extra heat in its off handed brake disc, one had inner veins going the correct way and that aids heat flow through, the other had them going the wrong way and always ran hotter as a result.

Thanks mate

£60k or so car and they still don't have handed discs :tearsofjoy:

TX.

C’mon John, you still can’t be surprised by now at the tricks Audi get up to.

When the 8V came out in 2015 at say £42k perhaps non handed discs could be just about accepted but not now when the cars are all £60-70k. Anyway I despise the Audi brakes full stop, shockingly **** for their top performing cars.

TX.

Reactions: 8YARWY
When the 8V came out in 2015 at say £42k perhaps non handed discs could be just about accepted but not now when the cars are all £60-70k. Anyway I despise the Audi brakes full stop, shockingly **** for their top performing cars.

TX.

I have no issue with them on the new car though.

O/T but if they gave us the option of upgrading to AP Racing or something I would take it up.

TX.

It’s not a keeper as I’ve said John…….so unless something drastic happens I’ll not be spending anything on it this time…..

Funny things tyre temps, mainly used at tracks etc and then normally taken with a tyre temp pyrometer at 3 to 4 points across the tyre about 3mm into the tyres rubber, generally not on the surface.
You then need to make a judgement as to why they are like whatever reading you get (Middle higher-too high pressure, outer higher-not enough camber etc) whilst allowing for the fact that the car is also going down the straight bits as well as the corners.
Some use a system of infra red pyrometers on each tyre.
I wonder how the Audi system works it out? Is it from wheel temperature from the part on the rear of the inflation valve?

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and RS03???
Quite a variance in temps today

Nice trip to Abersoch…….

28159fe0efb6d040cac04361f3702f06.jpg

Nice trip to Abersoch…….

Maybe the Left Hand side gets more of the road camber and heats up?
With something like a Porsche GT3 Cup car the start tyre pressures to achieve a working pressure of 31/32psi on a RH circuit would be
FL 25psi FR 26psi
RL 19psi RR 21psi

Nice trip to Abersoch…….

That's similar to my difference, except my passenger front doesn't heat up to the same level as my driver's front...I've booked into Audi- earliest appointment in like six weeks, so plenty of time to monitor it!!

Strangely my driver's front brake has developed an intermittent screech when slowing down (literally just as it's coming to a stop it does it)...this is the same wheel that's registering the much higher temperature. Maybe be unconnected but that sort of plays into the overheating issue mentioned above.

Don't seem to have any pressure readout in any of the menu's... is this no longer a thing?
No, it was removed after the Launch Editions and first few demos arrived. I'm pretty sure the Vorsprungs were supposed to have it, especially if they had the dynamic pack because of the 180mph raised limiter, but none have it now. Chip shortages...

That being said, I'm hoping to get it retrofit over the next week or two as it's a relatively cheap add-on.

Reactions: Gazjs
Don't seem to have any pressure readout in any of the menu's... is this no longer a thing?

Just Launch cars.

I have it on mine.

Very useful and pretty easy retro fit though.

Reactions: Gazjs and Daggerit
Just Launch cars.

I have it on mine.

Very useful and pretty easy retro fit though.

The demo car that my local dealership had in also had it. It was one of those weird standard car specs though, had matrix lights but not the rest of the pack you had to spec it with at the time, the silver wheels, the fabric and fake leather seats, etc. Strange spec overall, but 100% had the TPMS as well and I just presumed it was in all the cars but turned out not to be on any after the first little batch came through.

The demo car that my local dealership had in also had it. It was one of those weird standard car specs though, had matrix lights but not the rest of the pack you had to spec it with at the time, the silver wheels, the fabric and fake leather seats, etc. Strange spec overall, but 100% had the TPMS as well and I just presumed it was in all the cars but turned out not to be on any after the first little batch came through.

Those are launch cars too.
There’s launch edition and launch to market cars.

Those are launch cars too.
There’s launch edition and launch to market cars.

Ah, I just automatically read what you said as Launch Edition... Yeah, you're totally right, it was one of the launch to market cars. Very annoying they put stuff on those cars that was never carried over onto delivery cars.

Ah, I just automatically read what you said as Launch Edition... Yeah, you're totally right, it was one of the launch to market cars. Very annoying they put stuff on those cars that was never carried over onto delivery cars.

Lol I’m not too annoyed about it as I bought one

• Haha
Lol I’m not too annoyed about it as I bought one

So you did! Not jealous at all that you got things like that... :tearsofjoy:

As long as the sensors arrive in time, I should have them installed Friday afternoon and the receiver fitted and coded on Saturday so I can be a little less jealous.

Reactions: RS03???
So you did! Not jealous at all that you got things like that... :tearsofjoy:

As long as the sensors arrive in time, I should have them installed Friday afternoon and the receiver fitted and coded on Saturday so I can be a little less jealous.

It is what it is at the end of the day.

I couldn’t be bothered waiting for my exclusive order and I’m now glad I didn’t wait.

I wanted the 8Y while it was still a new model, not 18 months / 2 years later

The extra things like B&O and Pan roof would make no difference to how I feel about the 8Y overall sadly.

It is what it is at the end of the day.

I couldn’t be bothered waiting for my exclusive order and I’m now glad I didn’t wait.

I wanted the 8Y while it was still a new model, not 18 months / 2 years later

The extra things like B&O and Pan roof would make no difference to how I feel about the 8Y overall sadly.

Yeah, I imagine that you made the right choice. I like my sunroof and B&O, but if the choice was to have neither and a car or to still be waiting then I know what I'd choose - and what you chose!