tyre size

putang

Reaction score
I am looking to get a set of bbs 18" wheels for my s3 and i am wondering what you guys think the best width and tyre size to go for is.

Cheers

Robert

I went for 215/35/18 on my 8.5inch....Looks cool but doesnt grip aswell as the 225/40/18 i had before.

There may be insurance implications with fitting narrower tyres than those approved for the car (except dedicated snow tyres)...so best to check with your insurance company.

There may be insurance implications with fitting narrower tyres than those approved for the car (except dedicated snow tyres)...so best to check with your insurance company.

To be honest if you run a 215 over a 225 you wont have an issue with your insurance as its not a silly stretch.

Stretched tyre legality debate is as old as the hills and there's no real answer unless you dig into Construction and Use Regulations (dont do it!!...BORING!).

Chances are if you're running a stretch and you have a feeling its not legal then it more than likely isnt. The next tyre down in the width stakes doesnt really cause any problems but you may not have such a good ride as the sidewalls are stretched and wont cushion as well.

T

cheers, think i will stick with the 225/40/18

The standard S3 18" upgrade wheels come with 225/40/18's so i'd stick with that

To be honest if you run a 215 over a 225 you wont have an issue with your insurance as its not a silly stretch.

It's nothing to do with stretch...
It's how the Insurance Company perceive the original spec of the car being changed - or downgraded, with potential safety concerns.

Fitting narrower tyres than the car was designed for will potentially reduce grip, increasing the possibility of an accident.
You and I both know it's unlikely to matter in the real world...but in an assessors view, in an attenpt to get out of paying a claim, who knows.

An example:
If you run a Porsche and don't have the correct 'N' rated tyres fitted (N rating is Porsche specific approval for the chassis) your insurance CAN be invalid in the case of an accident - that's even the same size tyre as standard, just not N rated...because you have reduced the standard approved specification.
There are only 5 makers that meet N rating...of course you can fit Toyos or anything else you want...but cross your fingers if you have an accident.
No thanks...

So fitting 215s to a car sold on 225s could land you in hot water.
Personally, I'd want it in writing before doing it.

Fussy mfo's those insurance companies. Anything to squirm out of a payment