Tyre size on 8J rim? affect on handling?

AudiiduA

Reaction score
Hi all, the standard wheels on my 3.2 are 7J 225 width tyres! i now have 8J rims and 225 40 18 tyres fitted, thing is it handles terrible in the wet! really bad! tyres seem too narrow for the rims! is this the cause or am i running to high pressures? 36 front 32 rear!
wheels were fitted when i bought the car but my mate has same car with standard wheels and tyres and its on rails wet or dry!
any help or advice? personal experiences?
Thanks Lee

225 on an 8 is the correct size. 205 on a 7 would be correct. Pressures are about right too.

What make are the tyres and are they knackered?

My door sticker says 42 psi front and 33 rear, so to me those pressures are too low. But, thats my door sticker! lol

Standard wheels are 17", i think 225 45 17?? my tyres are all new! ok budget performance ones but its like driving on ice round some roundabouts! good fun though! my rim sticks out more than the tyre so bad for kerbing! lowered pressures tonight to 28psi all round and seems better but not great! will try higher pressures tomorrow if i get time?
Thanks for replies so far!

Budget tyres are labelled ditchfinders for a reason! Could be your issue.

my wheels are 8.5j and I'm on 225's mine is a bit hairy in the wet too one thing you could try is drive slower lol