Tyre rubbing on coilovers..HELP!!

Sean's AGU

Reaction score
Hi guys I've just recently stuck jom coilovers on my audi a3... The problem I'm having was the tyre rubbing on the adjuster ring..so I put 5mm spacers on yesterday and drove it for about ten miles and it was fine...but then I grounded out on my mates street and now the anti roll bar is rubbing on the driveshaft, accommodating with a high pitch squeal and the front tyres are rubbing against the adjuster again :( where should I go next? 10mm spacers on the front? What? Had enough already :( its lowered 60mm on the front and rear

Any advice will be a help

...in all seriousness... you can try larger spacers but chances are the tyres will then rub the arch instead... seeing as the platforms screw down to lower then you need to raise the suspension a bit to ensure the platforms miss the tyre...

As for the ARB, this is also a common issue when lowering an A3 (All mk4 platform cars using the over the driveshaft type ARB suffer from this)... again the solution is typically raise the suspension a bit... you can also buy adjustable drop links that will raise the ARB a bit... this hs been discussed quite a few times here as its a common issue..

<tuffty/>

Cheers mate I raised the front by 20mm and its stopped the tyre scrubbing the adjuster ring but my anti roll bar is still rubbing on the driveshaft but only the near side?? Basically just seeing what adjustable anti roll bar links you guys recommend cheers

Cheers... Just read on another thread mate that adjustable don't help??? Summit about a whiteline arb to solve the problem?

Spacers and roll the arches? You can do what I did in the mk4 and just cut out the ARB :0 but Id only recommend that if you are going all out slammed( Helpers out, No adjusters etc out back). Dont bother with adjustable droplinks they dont work the majority of the time. You can get an ARB with a larger loop or get an r32 one and get a competent welder to retro fit a bracket onto your coilovers, The R32 ARB goes under the drives, If you plan on going any lower you will also need a chassis notch otherwise your drive will be like this

IMG_0130 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

I would also advise a sump guard or shallow sump, The sumps are crap and will crack very easily.

TT ARB will stop it rubbing as it goes under rather then over the shaft.

i had to fit 20mm spacers to stop rubbing on the front.