Tyre recommendations

maxpayne

Reaction score
It appears that a good chunk of rubber on the sidewall of the the front passenger tyre has come off on out A3 after my misses managed to curb the wheel. Oops! I'd rather err on the side of caution and thinking it's time to get the front set replaced.

Looking for a decent set of tires that won't break the bank and will last long. Currently the car has Nexen N'Fera SU4 (the ones that require replacing) at the fronts, while the backs are Pirelli P Zero. For the record, the car doesn't see more than 5k miles a year (more like 4k for the last two) and mainly gets used from supermarket runs and occasional motorway trips down the M1.

My quick research indicates that Avon ZZ5 (or ZV7 what's the difference anyway?), Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and
Barum Bravuris 3HM seem to be good choices. On top, there are three wild cards: Kumho KU39, Nankang NS 20 and Ovation VI-388. All these are between £50 - £70 fitted/tyre, which is my effective budget.

Wondering if anyone has experience with any of the tyres above?

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I know this particular topic has been beaten to death, but the threads I found were mostly from a few years ago so I thought, why not?

Whats the tyre size? The uniroyals would be my pick out of the ones you mentioned. Are you sure you cant stretch to Goodyear eagle f1's? If you shopped hard you might find them cheap depending on the wheels size. They would outperform the above tyres mentioned in just about every area.

My advice is don't skimp on tyres. Who set your budget? Also, some of the tyres you quote have horrific wet weather characteristics. Do a bit of research and get the very best tyre you can afford. Even a 1m improved stopping distance from 50mph could be the difference between a near miss and writing your car off. And that would cost you a lot more than £40 extra on a set of decent front tyres.

I've just needed 2 rears due to a slow puncture, Blackcircles currently have some great deals on fitted tyres.
I managed 2 Pilot Sport 4's fitted for £105 each.
Could have saved a few pounds and got some cheaper tyres but these are quality and last well too.

Reactions: S.
Had a set of Falken ZIEX ZE914 on the car for two years now and they are a good mid range option. They are quieter than most other tyres. Good all rounders I would say.

Reactions: maxpayne
My advice is don't skimp on tyres. Who set your budget? Also, some of the tyres you quote have horrific wet weather characteristics. Do a bit of research and get the very best tyre you can afford. Even a 1m improved stopping distance from 50mph could be the difference between a near miss and writing your car off. And that would cost you a lot more than £40 extra on a set of decent front tyres.
No one set my budget, I just feel that given the type of usage the car gets a premium set of tires might be bit of an overkill? I'll look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 and Falken ZIEX ZE914 as suggested earlier.

Update: Asda Tyres (yes I know of all the places) will do the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 for £185 fitted for the fronts. I think that's a pretty reasonable deal?

Update: Asda Tyres (yes I know of all the places) will do the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 for £185 fitted for the fronts. I think that's a pretty reasonable deal?

I got these tyres last year and they’re spot on. Got them through Asda aswell, I think I found a discount code online which made them even cheaper.
I then got another 2 of the same tyres and at that time F1 Autocentre came out as the cheapest price(again, with a discount code).

All round good tyre to be fair.

I use to try a few different brands tyres for the last 6-7 years but because i was driving diesel as daily won’t really matter !
Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric 2 - amazing side wall and tyre!
Barum Bravuris 3HM (Highmiles ) really nice as they were bought from Continental.
Before that Kimho LeSport KU39 - they were nice as well !
All of these were nearly same price and i can tell you only good things about them !
Now on the S4 i’m with Dunlop as i bought it with them - will see when i need new

IMG 8733

IMG 8602

IMG 3524

IMG 4059

Hope that will help

Audi S4 lover

Reactions: maxpayne