Tyre Recommendations for S3

Charlie23

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals,

That time has come to purchase new tires. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Reading reviews etc they seem to be the best tire about at the moment, but wondering what anyone else uses?

Read a review about the new Toyo T1R's which was pretty funny and made my mind up when they mentioned upgrading there Life Insurance now running these tyres.

Stick with what i know & have or Change & try something new (possible waste of money)

Look forward to hearing from you all.

I run PS4's but i find them not so good in icey conditions so have been looking at ctossclimate ones

Stick with the PS4’s. Toyo T1r don’t have the sidewall stiffness and not good in the wet.

I’ve been looking into this myself, I’ve read loads of reviews and forums etc and I’ve decided on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d already decided before watching this and its confirmed my choice. The better rim protection also sounds good as I’ll be fitting 225s to 8.5Js....

Don't blame you , my choice too as price is keen .

Wide wheel for tyre size , personally I'd look into a wider tyre for more grip .

8.5" , not heard of unsprung mass ?

I've 235 on 7.5" and the old boy went 245 on a 8" from 225 .

Don't blame you , my choice too as price is keen .

Wide wheel for tyre size , personally I'd look into a wider tyre for more grip .

8.5" , not heard of unsprung mass ?

I've 235 on 7.5" and the old boy went 245 on a 8" from 225 .

8.5Js can be safely fitted with 225s upto 255s. Whilst 235s would be better I’m told they’ll catch on the rear? (18”, 8.5J, ET45).

Last edited:
880e8e44b41ed88adc2719968961c81e.png

Last edited:
I just got some P4S's before winter set in. Does anyone else find them quite noisy? Mine drone quite a lot at 70(+).

Amazing dry traction and seem to resist hydroplaning very well. Will see how they do on ice though! If not for the noise I can't say I've ever had a better performing tyre.

8.5Js can be safely fitted with 225s upto 255s. Whilst 235s would be better I’m told they’ll catch on the rear? (18”, 8.5J, ET45).

But is a 235 a 235 ?

Depending on brand it could actually be in the real world a 225 - 245 !!

Reactions: J0N
With that in mind it’s probably best staying on the side of caution before shelling out for four tyres....

As long as it’s not the ‘stretched tyres’ kind of dangerous haha...

Cheers for the input guys,

After doing abit more re-search i might sway to the Goodyear Eagle F1's AS5. They seem to be quieter, last longer, Performance is the same as Michelin's and are £15/20 a tire cheaper. Downsides are the side wall doesn't look as good ha ha and wet braking was 0.1 second slower than the Michelin's.

Will see what is in stock and i can have the soonest and let you all know the outcome.

Last edited:
Abit of a Plan Change - Rang up to order some AS'5 and they mentioned the Super Sports. Had a little check and they seem to be a better tire for the enthusiast drive (dry weather) I will be doing a few track days this year if the world goes back to normal slightly so ended up ordering Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sports @ £82.75 each :racer:

Reactions: Gazwould
Stick with the PS4 or PS4S.
Eagle F1 assy 3 or 5 are decent, but the PS4 cannot be beaten IMO.

Reactions: Charlie23
PS4s are 10% off for 2 and 15% off for 4 at Kwik Fit.....

Priced up some Goodyear Assys through Black Circles fitted at my local ‘Just Tyres’, they worked out £80 cheaper (for four) than if I got them from Just Tyres.

Reactions: Charlie23