Tyre recommendation

Is there a difference between the normal G/Y Asymmetric 5 and the AO version? Apart from the fact that the AO version is £10 more expensive? Also, can an Asymmetric 5 user be kind enough to post some pics with the rim protector, please?
Cheers

Hi all.
Had my G/Y asymmetric 5's AO fitted yesterday and I can confirm that the rim protector is rubbish. Because I've fitted only 2 wheels I can compare with the Continentals which the car came with and the latter are much better. Measured with a depth tool and the Contis rim protection was 4 mm and the Goodyears was 3. Not a big difference in numbers but it looks worse by eyes only. One plus is that the subjective noise in the cabin seems a tad reduced and that's with only 2 wheels replaced. Hope this helps @winrya

Cheers,

Dan

Reactions: winrya
Ive been using goodyear eagle f1 for the last 6 year, currently got the assy 5’s on the now, decent tyre but i would say the assy 2 and 3 versions where a much better tyre with more grip, the best thing i like about the eagle f1’s are the sharp steering feel they give you unlike the conti 5’s and 6’s That where both on my last two a3’s when i bought the car

Anyone tried ao fitment f1 supersports yet?
£87 on black circles fitted at the moment

I have an S3 and TTS.

Between both cars have used PS4/P Zero/ZV7

My order of preference:
1) ZV7
2) P Zero
3) PS4

The worst tyre I used over the last few years, cross climate!

Reactions: Dubjam
Yeah had them fitted for about 6 months now and love them to bits. only down side not much rim protection

Is it really bad or just not massive like the p zeros ?

how is steering feel?
how is the ride?
And how is fuel consumption ?

appreciate the feedback!!

I have an S3 and TTS.

Between both cars have used PS4/P Zero/ZV7

My order of preference:
1) ZV7
2) P Zero
3) PS4

The worst tyre I used over the last few years, cross climate!

Why do you prefer the Avon over the PS4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you prefer the Avon over the PS4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also a biker, been using Avon's on bikes for years, tried them on the TTS first, now the S3.
Stick to the road like glue and fantastic price.

I'm also a biker, been using Avon's on bikes for years, tried them on the TTS first, now the S3.
Stick to the road like glue and fantastic price.

I’ve used them as a budget on my first A3, never had any complaints with them. I’m just not sure if I’d trust them as much as the Michelin’s on my S3 under high stress.
I agree they are a much more affordable tyre than higher performance competitors.

I’ve used them as a budget on my first A3, never had any complaints with them. I’m just not sure if I’d trust them as much as the Michelin’s on my S3 under high stress.
I agree they are a much more affordable tyre than higher performance competitors.

I ran Avons for years on a 5oobhp Subaru Impreza, wonderful tyre, and fully trusted on the track at limits way above road use and way above S3 levels of performance. I use them now, and always will do.

I often feel the 'not trusting' mentality comes from the marketing trap of thinking because something is cheaper means it's of lesser quality or the 'reviews' that are more often or not paid or back hander driven sponsorship. I was much the same till I tried them.

Avon's just don't suffer some of the taxes foreign counterparts do so the price remains lower.

Reactions: Kayobong
Is it really bad or just not massive like the p zeros ?

how is steering feel?
how is the ride?
And how is fuel consumption ?

appreciate the feedback!!
Rim protection is virtually none existent. As far as handling is concerned it feels really planted with plenty of feedback and not any more noticeably harsh ride either, saying that my only previous experience of tyres on this car was when purchased a budget set of UHP tyres fitted by previous owner for resale which aquaplaned quite scarily or the winters I had on the first year so comparing to others is hard for me . But believe me I did a hell of a lot of investigation into the F1 supersports compared to the other top rated tyres before buying and considering how close they rate to them on most tyre tests it was a no brainer at the reduced cost to fit all four, As far as fuel consumption I probably have lost maybe 20 miles to a tank if I'm honest but that could just be down to the heavier foot with the new confidence they give me in the dry and definitely in the wet compared to before

Im running 4 Bridgestone All Weather Control A005’s

what they lack in dry weather performance i am expecting them to excell over the next 6 months so i can be all smug.

they are already unbelievable in the wet, massive downpour the other week all cars around me are squabbling and having to reduce their speed to around 50 on the motorway, i can’t say i noticed any change and was breezing along through the standing water.

Rim protection is virtually none existent. As far as handling is concerned it feels really planted with plenty of feedback and not any more noticeably harsh ride either, saying that my only previous experience of tyres on this car was when purchased a budget set of UHP tyres fitted by previous owner for resale which aquaplaned quite scarily or the winters I had on the first year so comparing to others is hard for me . But believe me I did a hell of a lot of investigation into the F1 supersports compared to the other top rated tyres before buying and considering how close they rate to them on most tyre tests it was a no brainer at the reduced cost to fit all four, As far as fuel consumption I probably have lost maybe 20 miles to a tank if I'm honest but that could just be down to the heavier foot with the new confidence they give me in the dry and definitely in the wet compared to before
Rim protection
17fcdb17c2a622254a8e2e812bea0287.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ve finally made the change. Went with assymetrical 5’s as I felt like they were the perfect compromise between performance and wear rate.

Usually have a bad tyre fitting experience with alloy damage, poor balancing etc but tried Costco this time around as all 4 were fitted for £265.

45 mins, no damage, perfectly balanced.

Too early for much feedback but planted the accelerator a few times from standstill and no hint of any traction loss. Steering feels a little lighter which I generally don’t like but seems to weight up well in the bend. Noise is lower than p zeros as they got a bit drony as they were well worn to 2mm all round. Ride feels firmer and a little more choppy. Need to check pressures

Ordered standard fit as AO wasn’t listed on site but they’ve actually fitted Audi original tyres. Don’t know if that’s because they linked it to my reg being an Audi or if I’d have ended up with these on a none Audi vehicle?? I know Costco are pretty fussy with tyre fitting, new must go on rears etc so wouldn't surprise me. More rim protection than the above supersports by the looks of things. £1 sits with another mm or so to spare. Has a big rim protection logo on the tyres. Do the supersports have the rim protection logo listed on them?

IMG_1910 by win rya, on Flickr

IMG_1911 by win rya, on Flickr

IMG_1912 by win rya, on Flickr

first time with p zeros,
come with loads of tread new and excellent wide tyre with great rim protection and good feel,
ware nice and even too.

sadly they dont last amazingly but would get them again, there kind of mid range price wise if i compare on camskill.

my bros been running Goodyear's, hes not impressed by lack of rim protection and grip with his latest set...

I think the rim protection differs with wheel type. I see @winrya has better rim protection than me despite having the same tyres fitted, only the wheels are different.

I think the rim protection differs with wheel type. I see @winrya has better rim protection than me despite having the same tyres fitted, only the wheels are different.

Are yours also the AO versions ?

now I’ve done 100 miles or so I can say that grip is a good chunk better than the p zeros. Low speed fast direction changes no longer under steer. Steering feels good now pressures have been adjusted. Only negatives are the ride is much firmer than before and they don’t look as nice as the p zeros

Are yours also the AO versions ?

now I’ve done 100 miles or so I can say that grip is a good chunk better than the p zeros. Low speed fast direction changes no longer under steer. Steering feels good now pressures have been adjusted. Only negatives are the ride is much firmer than before and they don’t look as nice as the p zeros

Did you get a price for the p zero's I could imagine they would of been a lot more than £265 for a set .

Yes, AO's. Hope this helps someone. My wheels are the bog-standard 18'' S-line wheels p/n 8V0601025BL.