Tyre Pressures

Reaction score
Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone has had a play about testing different tyre pressures?

I normally just run the recommended level Audi state but wondered if anyone has found any better pressures.

32 back 30 front on michelin pilot sport 235/40 18's

that seems a bit low?

Our fuel flap recons 32/32 for the standard 205/55r16 tyres but craigs S4 recons 35/35 for his standard wheels, i presume because of the lower profile tyres and the heavier car?

your quattro should probably be on higher pressures than a stock FWD...

im running my around the same 42 front and rear thats what i was told by the company that fitted my wheels with 225/40/18

Nope, not too high, perfectly normal.

Photo007.jpg

Ah yes, it's an RS4 sticker.

I ordered it, fuel grade sticker, along with the in-door barcode stickers, and the airbag replacement stickers, when I was ordering all my RS4 parts pre-surgery.

skits all over the place at anything over 35psi
used to run 35 all round, 1psi and I can feel it now
slightly higher rear pressure give a perfect balance of slight oversteer in conjunction with my coilover settings.

god knows what 42 would feel like with my coilovers! would have no teeth!

this is interesting i used to run 42 42 then was told that it was way too high when puchasing new tyres and put them to 34 34

tbh i'd rather believe the pressures audi recommend over what some guys on a forum have set theirs to. The only thing with that RS4 sticker is the pressures are for 255/35's and the 225/40 pressures are for mud and snow tyres, so perhaps not ideal for a road tyre. Be interesting to look at a B6 A4 which had 225/40's as standard and see what it recommends.

There is a way to check though, iirc it involves using chalk on the tyre and seeing if it wears off faster on the outside or middle.

tbh i'd rather believe the pressures audi recommend over what some guys on a forum have set theirs to. The only thing with that RS4 sticker is the pressures are for 255/35's and the 225/40 pressures are for mud and snow tyres, so perhaps not ideal for a road tyre. Be interesting to look at a B6 A4 which had 225/40's as standard and see what it recommends.

There is a way to check though, iirc it involves using chalk on the tyre and seeing if it wears off faster on the outside or middle.

you willing to try it out? if so let us know of the out come. lol

ragorn, I understand.

But I'm running the pressures for the 255 tyres.

The M+S 225's are even higher rated, at 48 / 48.

ragorn, I understand.

But I'm running the pressures for the 255 tyres.

The M+S 225's are even higher rated, at 48 / 48.

well i'm running 205/55r16's so i doubt thats much help for you...

Basically you draw a chalk line across the tyre and drive a bit (not sure how far, might only need a few feet, or perhaps a little further) then look at the line. If its worn off at the outside more then its too low, if the middle has worn off its too high. If its all worn off you drove too far ;)

your also running the pressures for 255's with the car fully loaded, ie 5 up and a boot full of luggage... driving about yourself should be using the 36/34 setting...?

The fully loaded pressure most of the time, yes.
Most of the time though, my car has a lot of weight in it.

The width of the tyres means excessive centre wear due to overinflation is very unlikely to be an issue.

Underinflation however, will definitely cause problems.