Whimsy

Reaction score
Hi, this might be nothing, but checked tyres today ( long trip tomorrow ) and the 245/45 R19 102y on my A6 Avant that haven't been touched since leaving the showroom a month ago are at 50 PSI.

All the tables I can see are set at 35 / 2.4.

Have Basingstoke Audi once again stuffed up ? Or am I reading things incorrectly?

I had an A5 once that was left on 50psi, it was a garage f@&* up. Car felt jittery on the motorway.

Reactions: Whimsy
Is it like that for storage and they just forget to change it ?

Hi, this might be nothing, but checked tyres today ( long trip tomorrow ) and the 245/45 R19 102y on my A6 Avant that haven't been touched since leaving the showroom a month ago are at 50 PSI.

All the tables I can see are set at 35 / 2.4.

Have Basingstoke Audi once again stuffed up ? Or am I reading things incorrectly?
probably not lowered as part of the PDI, cars are shipped from the factory with over inflated tyres. Not the first time from any dealer and won't be the last!

I have asked Audi UK for a complete list of all the checks that are supposed to be undertaken prior to a new car leaving the garage so i can get them checked.

Yes these are the transportation pressures, it's not uncommon for a dealership's PDI to miss adjusting them. I think I might have noticed the harsh ride though...

Yes these are the transportation pressures, it's not uncommon for a dealership's PDI to miss adjusting them. I think I might have noticed the harsh ride though...

Yup it didnt feel right, but thought it was just the difference with an old Golf and new bigger car :-( Grr!

Reactions: cuke2u
Update :

So I asked for the PDI sheet from Audi mentioning safety issues / concerns and general fed up-ness with them so far, they contacted Basingstoke ( Lookers ) Audi who then called me. They put their hands up to having failed to check / change the tire pressures. I asked what else would have been missed ( particularly after the paint debacle ) and was told nothing. I asked if there was a bit of paper saying this, but there isnt.

It seems that the PDI checks are done when the car comes into the garage and then every 90 days afterwards. These to me dont really sound like PDI checks in the sense I know them in. When I buy a bike ( even from Halfords ) they check the bike before it leaves their shop. They ( should ) torque check every bolt, check brakes, gears etc and tick off and sign to say its been done correctly. Its deemed as safe to ride and is certified as such. Audi garages dont seem to do this, its assumed things on a new car are okay and from what I was told the computer is checked for faults etc mostly. The PDI check does show that they put the tires to 50 PSI when it was checked in, so it was stored correctly.

So if this 90 day check isnt the right thing, I asked what the checklist was for when a car is purchased and prepared for release to a customer. The actual checklist to release a brand new car of from the showroom is as follows :
  • Take car computer out of parking mode ( maybe reset it ),
  • Fix number plates ( if not registered )
  • Set tires to correct pressure.
Thats it, nothing else is checked or done to the car ( not including washing ). Nobody signs to say this has been done or if the car is safe to drive. Seems a little risky to me as 50 PSI tires wont do what they are expected and I am still dubious about what else was supposed to be done but wasnt.

Basingstoke Audi have offered to re PDI check the car, but I am not sure if thats worth it the hassle of getting the car in or not ( if they wont check things like the pressures etc ). Any thoughts ?