Tyre Pressure

T

Tristan2

what tyre pressure do you guys use for the S3 saloon?
Do use use what advertised or different?

Reactions: pburv
what tyre pressure do you guys use for the S3 saloon?
Do use use what advertised or different?
As it says on the sticker on the inside of the drivers door..:friends:

Reactions: davc, Rob2k68 and DJAlix
39/36 works well for me (Pirelli P Zero) :-

I've also heard of a 4PSI tyre rule where the optimal pressure is such that the temperature difference between a hot and cold tyre is 4PSI but this seems to be more applicable to 4x4 vehicles and for when towing.

Reactions: pburv and Tristan2
39/36 works well for me (Pirelli P Zero) :-

View attachment 86111

I've also heard of a 4PSI tyre rule where the optimal pressure is such that the temperature difference between a hot and cold tyre is 4PSI but this seems to be more applicable to 4x4 vehicles and for when towing.
Just to add confusion Rob...My car has different sticker on my door..:readit:
It states 225/40 R18 92VX L M+S (42psi front 39psi rear) Three people plus luggage
235/35 R1991Y XL (46psi front 46psi rear) Four people plus luggage.....:blink:

Reactions: davc and Rob2k68
Just to add confusion Rob...My car has different sticker on my door..:readit:
It states 225/40 R18 92VX L M+S (42psi front 39psi rear) Three people plus luggage
235/35 R1991Y XL (46psi front 46psi rear) Four people plus luggage.....:blink:

Ah interesting. I'm thinking because yours is a saloon whereas mines a Sportback. That would probably also explain why there's no mention of a 17" wheel. Would suggest 4 people plus luggage is maxed out for camping holidays only lol !!

There should be 3 and 4 people pressures shown for each tyre size option.

Reactions: pburv
I thought the M+S pressures relate to winter tyres?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Why would you do anything else?

The S3 is a big lump, but there's always room for playing with tyre pressures. The effect of altering the pressures is often easier to feel in small lightwieght cars, but the effects are common on everything from a caterham to a camper van. Tyre pressures are as influential on the cars ride and handling as damper settings and spring rates, and far easier to change.

On my old MR2 roadsters (2001 & 2004 models - the sub 1000kg mk3's), and the lotus Elise, the tyre pressures were so critical to handling (and safety!) that I'd check them every single time I filled up with fuel. A 1 or 2 psi shift could dramatically change the nature of the car, especially when it was on the edge, and even fitting different makes or models of tyres would result in many weeks of adjusting things until a happy setting was found.

Other cars have not been nearly so obvious in their sensitivity, but there are some surprises. A drop of 3 or 4 psi on the rear axle of my transit makes the rear end very mobile!

Tyre pressures are an invaluable tool for tuning your car to your tastes, whether that be more comfort, more direct turn in, more predictable grip to slip transition.etc... The sticker in the door jamb is a useful guide, but don't be afraid to experiment.

Reactions: Daveotto, Simon L and Rob2k68
Cheers Marky..I hadn't a clue what the M+S was about....:huh:

You're not alone mate. I thought Marks & Spencer's had started branching out !!

Reactions: davc, pburv and Simon L
The S3 is a big lump, but there's always room for playing with tyre pressures. The effect of altering the pressures is often easier to feel in small lightwieght cars, but the effects are common on everything from a caterham to a camper van. Tyre pressures are as influential on the cars ride and handling as damper settings and spring rates, and far easier to change.

On my old MR2 roadsters (2001 & 2004 models - the sub 1000kg mk3's), and the lotus Elise, the tyre pressures were so critical to handling (and safety!) that I'd check them every single time I filled up with fuel. A 1 or 2 psi shift could dramatically change the nature of the car, especially when it was on the edge, and even fitting different makes or models of tyres would result in many weeks of adjusting things until a happy setting was found.

Other cars have not been nearly so obvious in their sensitivity, but there are some surprises. A drop of 3 or 4 psi on the rear axle of my transit makes the rear end very mobile!

Tyre pressures are an invaluable tool for tuning your car to your tastes, whether that be more comfort, more direct turn in, more predictable grip to slip transition.etc... The sticker in the door jamb is a useful guide, but don't be afraid to experiment.

Yeah agree it's not an exact science, quite a lot of variation in tyre pressures between members. As long as you stick to the min/max for the tyres can't really harm them, not sure about variance in tyre wear though? I think the Contis are good up to 50psi so plenty of scope...........

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68