Tyre pressure monitoring system not working on S3 8v PFL

RC-S3 8v

Reaction score
Hello

yesterday I came out to a deflated tyre, took it straight to a petrol station to pump up and was found at 9 psi. Pumped all up to 33 and reset MMI stationary. Checked over and found a screw in middle of tyre. Went out this morning to get repaired and again tyre was deflated (as expected) at 9 psi BUT on both occasions my TPMS has not flashed on my dash.

Is this not set right by me on MMI or would this be a fault?
thanks

Depends what monitoring system you have. Some have sensors in wheel which you can monitor individually on the mmi standard just measures the difference In wheel speed which means the car has to drive to flag the problem

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On the MMI it just states store all tyres when setting not individually. Oh ok I thought it would show on initial start up, cheers

A big loss like that in such a short time should have set it off. Mine went off a few months back one morning when we got the first very cold spell of weather, the pressure was only a few bar under what it was set at, yet the cold had lowered it enough for it to kick in.

When I had the 2015 S3 it went off a total of 3 times as I was driving! The first time was after I'd hit a big pothole in the middle of nowhere on the NW coast of Scotland, luckily it had just thrown a wobbly and gone off, but after that scare I bought a compressor to keep in the boot. That saved me the 2nd & 3rd time, on both of those occasions = punctures, I managed to get home on one and off the main road to a safe place for the other. I'd never be without one now, I've helped a couple of mates out as well with it, enough to get them home!

Yeah it’s made me think about getting a tyre pump on the boot. It’s a huge nail in the tyre and had lost well over 24 psi over a day and still no warning.

Yeah it’s made me think about getting a tyre pump on the boot. It’s a huge nail in the tyre and had lost well over 24 psi over a day and still no warning.
Well worth it mate, only has to get you home once and it's paid for itself!

As it appears to be abs based system, a reset takes little while to calibrate usually to store a reading, only then does it decide any difference in measurement will flag a warning, also you'd need to be driving for that to happen unlike the wheel based pressure sensor system, given its gone flat when standing it wont warn you until you drive with the flatter tyre, hence no warnings thus far.

this.

I’ve had 2 tyres ruined by fact the indirect ABS TPMS is slow to pick up on a partially flat tyre.
Active TPMS is far better as it reacts the minute you move the car, I’ve had 2 warnings so far after the car was parked up overnight because a tyre went down, saved the tyre because I didn’t drive on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I only drove to the nearest garage at 40mph for about 2 minutes. Sounds like it wasn’t enough time for it to register the low tyre and alarm on dash.

Remove the screw ot nail, put loads of superglue on a screw, screw it back in the hole, this works well, its only to get enough pressure to drive to get repaired, however a guy in a jag electric car had a flat, I did this for him & it pumped up fully & ran for days due to covid closures lol, tried & tested