Tyre Pressure Monitor

PetrolAholic

Reaction score
Hi all, I tried the search button as thought this would be a common thing but cannot find anything relating to my problem.

Basically had some new front tyres fitted a few weeks ago and since then the tyre pressure monitor has being playing up all the time. I chose "wheel change" and "store pressures" when I fitted the new tyres and basically since then sometimes when I drive up the road I get the warning symbol for a flat tyre, but will not tell me which tyre. I have checked the pressures in all 4 tyres but seem to be fine, could this possibly be a dodgy sensor/flat battery?

I tried calling my Audi Dealer but they are about as much use as a chocolate firegaurd as I didnt buy the tyres from them (I paid £180 as opposed to the £270 they wanted!!)

I think it could possibly be related to the cold weather we are experiencing at the moment but as its the first winter I have owned the car just want to check to be safe.

Just spoke to a friend about the problem and he said should the tyres be Nitrogen Filled?

Any ideas?

No.

Air contains around 80% nitrogen already. The only reason people and manufactures now put nitrogen gas in the tires instead of air is because air contains atmospheric moisture. Getting rid of the moisture inside the tire limits the likelyhood of your wheel and inner casing from deteriorating and corroding.

Its not needed, though does sound cool for pub talk. It also doesen't increase in pressure as MUCH as air does when the tire is warm, but unless your doing 180mph+ for long streches you needn't worry to much about this

Its most likely a loose connection or a worn out sensor. Try cleaning with electrical cleaner or replace if needs be.

Crikey 80% nitrogen, takes me back to them science classes at school lol.

I'm thinking it is a dodgy sensor but it's an intermittent fault. Which is annoying as them types of faults are always the costly labour intensive ones!!! I deflated the tyres to 2 psi down then set my pressures, then put the pressure back in and so far no problem but like I say it seems to be a bit of an intermittent problem so today could be just a good day.

Thanks for your response.

Happy to help mate. I did a bit of reading and apparently rather than a faulty sensor, sometimes it's that the sensors are TOO GOOD. If you look in the manual, there's a way to re-set the sensor range so that there is a larger range for tire pressures to vary before alerting the sensor. If that doesn't work, make sure you check the tire pressure of the spare - that could be a little leaky and cause a warning.

The tire sensors send a signal if its below 25% of the prescribed psi. You may need to RESET or adjust your sensor pressures in the MMI. Look in your manual. It should have the information how to do so inside.

Any questions, feel free to ask.