1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues [Search] 21-22/07/18

We are currently rebuilding the site's search index due to an earlier database problem, so search results will be incomplete for a time. The process happens quite quickly, and we'll be keeping an eye on it. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

Facelift Tyre pressure loss indicator fault?

Darroch Jul 12, 2018

1. Darroch

Darroch Active Member

Is anyone’s tyre pressure loss indicator unreliable? I’ve had it at the dealer to check for a fault but they’ve said all tyres are fine and it will be due to uneven tread between the tyres as one of them was replaced. Wondering if I should take it back to get the part replaced as it’s coming on at least a couple of times each month.

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Chris43

Chris43 Well-Known Member Team Nano Grey Audi A3 S-line owners group

TPMS works by comparing the rotation speed of each wheel on the same axle, a sudden loss of pressure causes the diameter of the tyre to change and therefore the rotational speed. I believe it utilises the same sensor as the ABS system. It could be the ABS sensor on a particular wheel that's playing up.

Have you tried rotating tyres on the car, if the TPMS warning keeps occurring then it could be the tread depth and overall tyre diameter. A good friend of mine is an experienced tyre fitter, apparently vastly different tread depths / tyre diameters play havoc with the control system on 4wd cars so there could be some fact in Audi's claim.

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  4. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Funnily enough ... wife has just called me to say her TT has just flashed up loss of tyre pressure.
    She has visually checked and all 4 tyres look fine.
    My initial reaction was that it could be a nail / slow puncture.
    But seeing this thread, it could be a faulty sensore.
    Will inspect the car tonight, takes readings of the tyre pressures to see if I can see which tyre ... or does the computer tell you which tyre ?
    If I can't see anything then could be the sensor.
    Can you reset this or is it a Dealer job ?

5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

If the abs sensors are at fault there should be a fault code..

6. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Checked all 4 tyres.

Visually all fine.
    Pressures all fine.

Reset pressure sensors in mmi ... all good so far :icon thumright: ?!?!?

7. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

we have found that you need to replace all 4 tyres at the same time on a BMW X1 or it brings the ABS lights on so it could be the tread depth.