1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre pressure confusion

replicant71 Jan 5, 2019

1. replicant71

replicant71 Member Team Ara Blue Sportback Audi RS3

Hi folks.

I have the staggered tyre set up, 255/30 up front and 235/35 at rear.

What are the correct pressures for these (with a light load as only ever me in the car)?

The tyre sticker on my car is very confusing, which set of pressures should I be using, the top set or middle set?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. 5Pot wingnut

5Pot wingnut New Member

What I’ve done with my staggered setup is the pressure of the front for the wider tyre and the rear pressure of the thinner tyre.

It presumes that you have the same width front and rear but it gives you pressures for every tyre size/combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team Daytona Team Phantom Audi S3 Audi RS4 Audi RS3 Audi A1 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic

Why’s that confusing?

2.7 F &R or
    3.0 if loaded up.

5. phantom_s3

phantom_s3 Member

39psi front 35psi rear or 44 & 39 if loaded up

E15 likes this.
  6. replicant71

I just find the way the sticker is laid out confusing, it's not clear which figures to use. The figures above or below the tyre size? Seems @RGBARGEE and @phantom_s3 are both reading it differently.

7. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team Daytona Team Phantom Audi S3 Audi RS4 Audi RS3 Audi A1 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic

It’s surely 39 39 front and rear for normal use!!! In old money.

I’m not confused

8. Jonny B

Jonny B Well-Known Member Team Nardo Audi RS3

9. Jonny B

It’s 39 /35 , the top one has two tyre sizes for the staggered setup . The second line is for a different tyre .

sve170 likes this.
  10. phantom_s3

phantom_s3 Member

The way that I have always read the label (it's very similar on all the VAG cars I have had)

As I have the staggered set up only use the info in the red box
    Green box states the staggered set up tyre sizes 255 front 235 rear
    Front tyre pressures are in the blue box under the arrow from the front tyre on the outline of the car
    Rear tyre pressures are in the yellow box using the same principle

I could be wrong but that is the way that I have always worked

Attached Files:

DW81, zippster, Phil3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jonny B

That is correct . Spot on .

12. Avatar

13. 5Pot wingnut

5Pot wingnut New Member

I’ve also used the pressures in the green box but I’ve recently put winter tyres on that aren’t staggered so I went with the 235 M+S pressures

14. RGBARGEE

It makes no sense having different rear tyre pressures with staggered option. I see the confusion now!!

15. zippster

zippster Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team V6 Audi S3 Audi S4 Audi RS3 quattro

I have the same setup and run 39/39 (as others have said) you must look at the F&R values in our case for normal load it’s 39/39

sve170 and RGBARGEE like this.
  16. Jonny B

39 rear on that sticker is referring to M+S tyres I think u will find .

sve170 likes this.
  17. Jonny B

You take the pressures that appear above each tyre . At the top you have two tyres for the staggered set up . Just read up . That’s what I’m doing anyhow !!

sve170 likes this.
  18. replicant71

VAG need to seriously re-design their labels! They are not easily read! lol

19. zippster

Wow looking at that again I see th error in my ways .. will adjust them tomorrow

Do you think I’ve done I’ll have any pre-mature wear to my tyres after 499miles since I picked it up in september?:wink new::wink new: I know I know I need to get out more

#nearlyrunin

20. sve170

sve170 Well-Known Member Audi S3 Audi RS3

Yep spot on, I can see how it is confusing but the staggered set-up is the top box.

21. teslaboy

teslaboy Mythos black RS3 8v FL Audi S3 Audi RS3

I read it as, if you're running staggered set up then there is a difference with the fronts higher than the rears as per Phantom_S3 post earlier.

Agreed though, Audi need to be clearer with their labels !!

22. replicant71

Thanks guys, I've now adjusted my pressures to 39/35 :thumbs up:

E15, zippster, Jonny B and 1 other person like this.
  23. mz21

mz21 Member

my car has 235/35 in all four corners, what are the correct pressures then? I 'm using more pressure at the front, I'm I doing it wrong? That's how I interpreted the label.

24. Phil3

Phil3 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Saloon Audi RS3

You should be looking at the middle set of pressure for yours mate... obviously depending on load, then go from there :icon thumright:

25. Jonny B

I think you mean the lower pressures . Isn’t the middle one for M+S tyres . Regular square set up is lower one ..

26. Jonny B

I read that as 235/35 r 19 all round . = 44

27. mz21

mz21 Member

What I understand from the sticker is that for 235/35 all around, front should be 44 and rear 39, that is what I'm using. So the correct pressures are 44 in all tyres? I thought it was F44 R39 since the front of the car is much heavier than the rear.

28. Jonny B

I don’t disagree that to compensate for the weight of engine and transmission to retain an even contact patch you would have higher pressures in the front , therefore more even pressures when fully loaded with compensating weight in the rear . I just don’t read that sticker as that for reasons already mentioned. I’m staggered 45 / 40 which feels fine to me . In normal road driving I’m not sure a few psi is noticeable, may add to premature wear I guess . As long as it’s not under or over inflated the tyre limits , experiment as to what drives best ? . I think the label is badly designed..

sve170 likes this.
  29. Doohie

Doohie Member

Actually the same as the 255 set. You see 3 wheels on the image I have framed them with white. Above each wheel are the dimensions with the necessary tire pressure. I also use front 2.7 and rear 2.4 with all mine 235/35.
    [​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

30. Hal Adams

Hal Adams Well-Known Member Team Nardo VCDS Map User Audi RS3 Black Edition

Gawd - what do you guys want?

The label cannot be any more pictorially clearer than it is! What you do is look at the picture of the funny looking car - there is an arrow under front and back wheels. Follow the arrows down to the tyre configuration as shown by the picture of a wheel....

Oh, for heaven's sake, I give up...:hopelessness: I have seen more intelligentsia in the A1 forum.

31. zippster

Chill and keep taking the pills dude.

Jonny B, teslaboy and Callump01 like this.
  32. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

I'm not sure why they decided to use -- instead of just repeating the numbers, is the 235 setup really meant to just always be at 3bar/44psi?

33. Avatar

34. Jonny B

Calm down dear .. this isn’t real life ..

zippster likes this.
  35. Hal Adams

Hal Adams Well-Known Member Team Nardo VCDS Map User Audi RS3 Black Edition

Looking at the label again, this time without a load of MPs bleating out nonsence on the TV in the background, I concede that the label is indeed confusing in one aspect - in that it does not give a rear value when using 235 91YXLs all round.

Apologies:blue:

Jonny B likes this.
  36. E15

E15 Active Member

I can't see the problem to the OPs question.

It clearly shows 39 and 35.... :icon thumright:

37. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

Unless taking the car on the track, as long as tyre pressures are fairly even with maybe slightly more in the front tyres, I think possibly people are worrying too much about this. If mine had 35psi/33psi front to back, I'd be fine. I probably wouldn't be panicking unless they were below 30psi tbh!

Wheels years back were notoriously bad for losing pressure. When checked, all four tyres usually would be at vastly different pressures. My dad didn't concern himself unless it went below 20!

38. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

I think cars with 235 all round from factory have a different sticker, mine certainly does

[​IMG]

39. D0C

44psi to me seems very high to me. Would be like having concrete wheels.

40. Phil3

My mini compressor only goes to 40psi so I’d be a bit stuck trying to get to 44 :tearsofjoy:

...something around 40 front, 38 rear does me, had no problems and just give them a check every couple of weeks

41. D0C

Never checked mine! They get the occasional kick and glance at and look fine. Good enough for me.

Over 13000 miles now and my tyres look brand new.

42. EdmundVR4

EdmundVR4 New Member

What about the last selection (at the bottom of the sticker) 44 psi listed for front tires with light load... no pressures listed for rear tires?
    Am I missing something? What's up with that?

43. Phil3

I was like that with my little run about work/dog car... that’s got low profile tyres etc and I thought they were fine, checked them the other day and they were about 24psi all round :seenoevil: