Tyre placement advice please

mpc

Reaction score
I am getting 2 new tyres fitted tomorrow. 1 on the front requires changing as does one on the rear. The car is an A4 2.0 TDi S Line Avant fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A0. I was going to get the new tyres put on the front and the 1 good one on the front put at the rear. The tyre dealership then said that Audi recommend having the new tyres put at the back!! Common sense tells me that a front wheel drive car should have the most grip at the front where the drive & steer is. Do you think the tyre place is getting mixed up with a Quattro car? I am on the phone now to Audi UK to try get there take on it but am curious if any of you have heard this one before.

I would agree with you in getting the 2 new tyres put on the front. Don't know why they would have told you otherwise. It also depends on how much tread is left on your good rear and what would the tread difference be with the leftover good front tyre.

Last edited:
It's a tough one because at normal driving speeds, if you hit a patch of ice or oil, understeer is far safer and easier to control than oversteer so I see what they're saying in that respect

2 new tyres, fit to front or rear?

This was a question asked elsewhere on the internet. Below was the response.

Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!"

There is no "even if" to this one. Whether you own a front-, rear- or all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on the rear.

First time I've ever heard that! They always say for a front wheel drive car to put the newest tyres on the front!