Tyre Issue?

I also got a response from Pirelli, they said nothing wrong with the tyres has to be something to do with the war the car is set up or wear of the suspension...

IMG 1439 copy 2

I actually wonder how many people have this and don’t know! Car ownership is such a remote experience for most drivers these days ! People can’t change a bulb or a wiper let alone take off wheels to inspect wear patterns!

A bunch of informed and relatively car savvy people here spotted a problem - I don’t think that means it’s just a handful of cars have this issue, I’d wager it’s not at all uncommon!

I was hoping for the best and got lucky.

My S4 Avant 2017MY has now almost 10k miles (14774km) and my front tires are impeccable. So not an quattro design related issue.

Edit:

Car has never been aligned, tires are original Hankook marked RO1, no spacers no aftermarket stuff whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiPie, SMI77 and Daggerit
Another one to have this issue on my FL Rs3. Got 8000 miles out both my front Pirelli’s. Car has aftermarket wheels and spacers which equals a total poke of 17mm if I remember correctly so definitely not catching on anything inside.

Also had a 4 wheel alignment and was told it was perfect. Nothing was out. So I presume as it is perfect to alignment from factory. Maybe the alignment from factory is wrong and should something else.

I was hoping for the best and got lucky.
My S4 Avant 2017MY has now almost 10k miles (14774km) and my front tires are impeccable. So not an quattro design related issue.
...Yeah, but you picked yours up from the factory ;-)

Could geometry change be happening after it leaves the factory, eg. what tie points do they use to restrain the vehicle when it is in train/ship car carrier transit?

I like detective mystery threads...

Can we clarify some elements?

Assumptions:

* Happens only to one make or model of tyre?
* Happens to front or rear on 4wd cars?
* Happens after a certain age or mileage?
* Happens on perfect factory geo settings?

Reactions: cuke2u
I rather feel we seem to be clutching at straws instead of actually doing something. If it had happened to my car, which it hasn't, then I would get in the experts, instead of second guessing. Only professional engineers in suspension and tyres can legitimately find a reason behind this abnormality. If indeed it is.
Yes it might cost some money upfront but if, and a big if, Audi were proven to be causing this this I would get my money back.
To give this thread any credibilty it needs to be done...

Yes the guy suggests he has proven it's not the tyres, according to Pirelli, who could be viewed as biased though. Plus the vehicle is not the same as the A4's experiencing the issue here. A different suspension setup and geometry, one has also been modified by the owner which might not be corrected by an alignment check alone, as another has suggested it might need a castor change to compensate.
Having said that I would have expected more form Audi thus it might be better for all of those owners having this 'issue' to get together and consider some kind of class action against Audi. It might just wake them up and elicit a response.

Having said that I would have expected more form Audi thus it might be better for all of those owners having this 'issue' to get together and consider some kind of class action against Audi. It might just wake them up and elicit a response.
It is a fact of life that a class actions takes a lengthy time and $$s to mount, only to be constantly delayed whilst solicitors drag it out, argue and build up a sizeable bill. Unfortunately the average owner would not get involved, unless it was to support the family of an owner that died as a result of an incident that was officially determined to be caused by Audi's lack of "duty of care".

* Happens only to one make or model of tyre?
* Happens to front or rear on 4wd cars?
* Happens after a certain age or mileage?
* Happens on perfect factory geo settings?
* No one brand
* Not aware of any rear tyre problems, only fronts.
* No age or mileage, but would appear to be the original tyres fitted by the factory.
* The 'perfect' is the issue, but appears to be the vehicle's original factory settings.

Well y'all can take this with as much credibility as you need from a stranger on a public forum, If it happens to me I would do these things in this order:

* Assume Audi and the tyre manufacturer will fob me off but never the less, record the event properly with photos and contact them with the evidence.
* When the expected fob is offed, buy a set of tyres from a company that has made good tyres for all my other sports cars (Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin Super Sports etc)
* If it happens again its clearly the car, so assume the geo settings the factory uses are the problem or the suspension geo changes too much under hard acceleration and braking causing the wear. Therefore go with some fast road settings that are within the limit of adjustment without needing camber arms or castors etc
* Sell the car / end the PCP and moan a lot on the internet

* No one brand
* Not aware of any rear tyre problems, only fronts.
* No age or mileage, but would appear to be the original tyres fitted by the factory.
* The 'perfect' is the issue, but appears to be the vehicle's original factory settings.
I believe there is one in here who reported the same issue with a rear tyre...

There is also another thread here from an RS3 owner. He has had the tyres inspected too .....

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/pirelli-tyre-defects-response.382143/

They’d never admit liability to the customer, they’d also try a wriggle out of liability with the OEM. If they admitted liability there would be a recall which would cost an absolute fortune. Notice they blame the vehicle in the letter..
I’d go back to the dealer a create a fuss.
I’d also do wheel alignment and change the tyres to see if it sorts out the problem otherwise it could cost you another set of tyres in the long term. If it happens again on new tyres with alignment then you have some proof something is not right. Could be tyre, could be car... which ever one it is it’s going to be difficult for you to prove.

If there’s enough people with the same problem and the dealers not willing to sort out maybe complaints to watchdog may help. Got to worth doing cause they’ll get experts to review the tyres and vehicle setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a fact of life that a class actions takes a lengthy time and $$s to mount, only to be constantly delayed whilst solicitors drag it out, argue and build up a sizeable bill. Unfortunately the average owner would not get involved, unless it was to support the family of an owner that died as a result of an incident that was officially determined to be caused by Audi's lack of "duty of care".
Well complaing about it on a forum without any real evidence to prove anything isn't going to resolve it either.
The more you have the more the costs can be shared, but first and foremost you have to have a case that proves liability.
Not car related but I have been there and done it...

Reactions: SMI77
So not bad - not bad enough to warrant adjusting in my book.

Attachments

• A87CA67C-938F-4891-A067-1D780799C41A.jpeg
    A87CA67C-938F-4891-A067-1D780799C41A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
Looks a deceptive angle. Seriously, can anyone suggest Audi would release cars where the suspension made contact with the tyres when nobody has been able to see this contact?
Do you not think this would have been revealed when cars were being serviced by audi, or non-audi technicians.
Or when owners have had their tyres replaced? Why would it happening to some S4's and not others.

Last edited:
Looks a deceptive angle. Seriously, can anyone suggest Audi would release cars where the suspension made contact with the tyres when nobody has been able to see this contact?
Do you not think this would have been revealed when cars were being serviced by audi, or non-audi technicians.
Or when owners have had their tyres replaced? Why would it happening to some S4's and not others.

Of course NOT.

The suspension cannot make contact with the tyre !!! That upper linkage moves with the tyre/wheel.

I’ve just recently got rid of my 8v S3 for a 2019 B9 avant. I had a replacement rear fitted due to puncture while he was at it he noticed the fronts had been scrubbed out exactly like what most of ou have experienced. The car has done 8500 from new and he said I’d be lucky if I got to 10k on the fronts. Mine has the 19” Hankooks fitted. Is this a tracking issue or a tyre problem?

I’ve just recently got rid of my 8v S3 for a 2019 B9 avant. I had a replacement rear fitted due to puncture while he was at it he noticed the fronts had been scrubbed out exactly like what most of ou have experienced. The car has done 8500 from new and he said I’d be lucky if I got to 10k on the fronts. Mine has the 19” Hankooks fitted. Is this a tracking issue or a tyre problem?

I had 17k on my Hankooks when I sold it and they were alright. I had the tracking done quite early on because I’d stuck lowering springs on though. So don’t think it’s a tyre problem, I’d say tracking or that the tyre is touching something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/front-tyre-wear-2-0tfsi-quattro.407459/#post-3601251

I have just posted on the above thread this text:

"Dear All,

Never thought this would happen on my S4 as I had rotated tyres 12k miles ago and wear was perfectly even.

Today I replaced the 4 tyres for a new set of Hankooks.

To my surprise, fronts were exactly as you've all described.

I'm stuck with my new set of Hankooks, so any advice would be very welcome!

Thank you so much,

Filipe"

Would love to have a solution!

Again, thank you so much, Filipe

I have finally received a factory reply.

Audi does have any knowledge of this or any similar problem with the A4/S4 8w.

Some input from other users would be most welcome, thank you so much!

Very very interesting thread. Just read through it all (yes I was that curious/bored haha).

I've got an A4 Ultra (no Quattro) and noticed on my health check after I bought the car used in Jan that the wear seams to be like everyone is describing. All tyres still had between 5-7.5mm on them but the wear on the inner was considerably more.

Don't want to say much more now, just curious to see what the consensus is on this. I think I will wait until my oil change in November as by then I will have done at least a few more k in mileage to see how the wear is.

Keep us updated :icon thumright:

Reactions: Filipão