Tyre Issue?

BigAardvaark

Reaction score
Just wanted to let others know, I had a tyre change today (just fronts for now - Christmas is coming...) and thought I'd warn others who might be approaching similar wear or mileage - 34k miles - about the state I found the inside edges of the fronts (see pic). Both were like this. Very hard to spot with the wheels so tight in the arch and the front spoiler so low. 80% of the tyre is still above the wear indicator, it's just this inside edge that seems to have completely disintegrated. It looks almost like someone's taken a grinder to the edge, so much so I had a good look around the arch and suspension to see if I could spot signs of rubbing - I've only ever seen this kind of wear on cars with extreme "Barry Boy" negative camber. Another reason for me bringing it up is that a colleague has had an almost identical wear issue on his A4 he's just picked up with 30k on the clock, similar spec (but Avant) with the same Hankooks. I can put a bit of feathering down to alignment but nothing of this scale?

Rears show no such issues so far - and I don't think they will.

Please check yours, especially if you have the 19in Hankooks.

Any thoughts?

IMG 0195

Surprised you couldn't feel that when cornering. I had a similar issue with a Passat I had that was lowered with a good amount of camber on the wheels. It scrubbed the insides of the tyre like that but it wasn't as bad as that and you could feel it when cornering.
34K miles for a front set of tyres is very good. Can't imagine you would have got much further without having an issue.

Reactions: T-800
My 17” Hankooks in the front are nearly on the limit after only 17k / 2yrs. I’ll be changing them for Michelin’s, never been happy with them.

Mine is going in for it's service soon so I'll get some depth reading. But after two years of urban driving they look fine to me.
Comparing tyre wear is a little difficult as you would need to have the same cars that are driven in the exact same way under the same driving conditions. No good comparing a diesel that is driven around town with a petrol either as the diesel will put more weight on the front tyres..

It looks almost identical doesn't it. I'm due a service shortly and will deffo be flagging this up with them.

Some RS3 FL cars have suffered similar with the Pirelli R02 fronts.

So just why is this a different thread?? Makes it hard when trying to follow about the same subject....just saying

The other thread is actually a slight different topic that’s about the difference in tyre tread depths.

It’s mentioned later on in the thread by someone else that they have had an issue with their tyres wearing out on the inside, similar to the tyres on here.

I thought it would be a informative to make the OP aware of a similar occurrence as they might or might not be related.

I had a Mk4 Mondeo that wore out the inside of the tyres in a very similar fashion, but in less than 7k miles. I, obviously, complained to the dealership but was given some **** and bull story about speed humps, yet this happened to many owners. But 34k miles for front tyres is very good for any car these days.

I don't see any issues with tyres lasting over 34000 miles. I would say that is better than the majority of owners can manage even if there is slight more wear on the inside. It could be the case that the tracking went out, for one reason or another, in the life of the car..

Reactions: NevMan
It's exactly the same basically. Something's eating that inside edge, I've been driving for 30+ years and seen a lot of tyres over that time with some pretty shocking tracking issues, etc but I've never seen anything like this.

I am furious have just been fobbed off by Audi UK no one wants to take responsibility. Local dealer doesn't care because I did not buy the car from them. Wasted 2hrs on the phone today.

Did you get anywhere with Audi ? This is my first Audi and I am astounded with the way I have been treated !

Did you get anywhere with Audi ?

It's in for service in a couple of weeks, will be "discussing" it with them then. But I fully expect shrugged shoulders and a hefty quote to get an alignment done that doesn't need doing. Some dealerships are better than others in this respect and even then it's whatever side of the bed they got out of that morning....

Reactions: jrumball
It's in for service in a couple of weeks, will be "discussing" it with them then. But I fully expect shrugged shoulders and a hefty quote to get an alignment done that doesn't need doing. Some dealerships are better than others in this respect and even then it's whatever side of the bed they got out of that morning....

Good luck the level of customer service I have experienced is astoundingly bad from both dealers and Audi UK

Mmmm, had a similar issue with my last RSQ3 earlier this year - only it was the rear tyres that wore the inside edges out.

Had a 4 wheel geometry check done at Silverline http://silverlinewheels-tyres.com/contact/ in Warwick (about £60). Was a revelation, the geometry was way out (car effectively crabbed sideways) and aside from not ruining very expensive tyres (the RSQ3 uses an unusual size) the car drove so much better afterwards.

I've had the current RS4 a week now and that will be getting checked this week. The guys there indicated that most cars they encounter are out adjustment wise.

Thanks for your experience the weird thing is is the geometry wasn’t really out atall ! Will see on the 12th when Audi Milton Keynes has a look.....

I don't see any issues with tyres lasting over 34000 miles. I would say that is better than the majority of owners can manage even if there is slight more wear on the inside. It could be the case that the tracking went out, for one reason or another, in the life of the car..

Agree, that is seriously good mileage for a set, ESPECIALLY fronts!

Reactions: cuke2u
Mmmm, had a similar issue with my last RSQ3 earlier this year - only it was the rear tyres that wore the inside edges out.

Had a 4 wheel geometry check done at Silverline http://silverlinewheels-tyres.com/contact/ in Warwick (about £60). Was a revelation, the geometry was way out (car effectively crabbed sideways) and aside from not ruining very expensive tyres (the RSQ3 uses an unusual size) the car drove so much better afterwards.

I've had the current RS4 a week now and that will be getting checked this week. The guys there indicated that most cars they encounter are out adjustment wise.

I tend to get alignment checked every 5k or so. Did that with my Q5 recently and all was fine, so no charge. Use a local independent with a proper hunter system and the know how to go with it which is more important.

Similar experience... but at the rear

Audi dealership just gave my car the once over on my new, secondhand car. Found that one rear tyre, while 5mm on the outside (where I checked when I was at the dealer) was only 2mm on the inside. The other rear type had a non repairable puncture hidden in the inside wall!

Didn't help that they were cheap as chips tyres. My guess - the previous owner needed to get through the last few months of their lease and didn't give too many F's. So I will hold judgment on alignment or the car itself for now.

Having them changed tomorrow for some Continental PremiumContact 6. So I expect the car to be both safer and perform better!

It's worth getting a proper 4 wheel alignment check done - it's about £60 up in the midlands. Had my last RSQ3 done - turned out it was effectively crabbing and wearing the inner edges of the rear (unusual size - so expensive) tyres out. The all drive and handling experience was so much sharper afterwards. I'll get the current weapon done when the diary permits.

Reactions: Happy Grumpz and NevMan
My car had a full alignment done by Audi at the very end of September
But if the tyre was already worn on the inside by then the obvious happens. It is highly dubious it is the brand of tyre and manufacturers don't just fit any old tyre and not test them...

Reactions: Happy Grumpz
But if the tyre was already worn on the inside by then the obvious happens. It is highly dubious it is the brand of tyre and manufacturers don't just fit any old tyre and not test them...
I would of expected xtedbthe unusual wear to be pointed out by the csompsntinspwcting the tyres and doing the tracking !

Reactions: cosmicblue and Happy Grumpz
But if the tyre was already worn on the inside by then the obvious happens.

I totally get that, but keep in mind this was the same time my was in (for 17 weeks) while they were trying to find the source of the funny sound. You'd have thought they'd have inspected the tyres to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Reactions: cuke2u
There is somthing about the setup of Audi suspension that makes them susceptible to this kind of wear .

Had my service done 3 weeks ago at around 35,000 miles and I had exactly the same wear on one tyre more than the other. Both were Hankooks and both now replaced but the tyres looked ok but well worn u till you get them up in the air. I was surprised to find that these were the original tyres too .... I’ve done 18,000 miles in 7 months but mostly on motorways.

I totally get that, but keep in mind this was the same time my was in (for 17 weeks) while they were trying to find the source of the funny sound. You'd have thought they'd have inspected the tyres to make sure that wasn't the issue.
You certainly would seeing at my last service they wanted to replace my front tyres at 3.00mm left...

There is somthing about the setup of Audi suspension that makes them susceptible to this kind of wear .
It's probably doubtful, it may be due to many factors, driving conditions plus the state of the roads in the UK...