Tyre help

czm

Reaction score
HHi have just got a set of RS4 5 spoke alloys for my 1.8t Avant

I was going for standard 235/40 18 but I have been offered a pair of mint 235/35 18.

could/should I run these on the front with the 235/40 on the rear?
other than the slight speedo change is there any other issue to prevent this set up.

May look a little odd though being a lower profile on the front and perhaps a tad harsher over bumps.
Other than that, will be fine.

May look a little odd though being a lower profile on the front and perhaps a tad harsher over bumps.
Other than that, will be fine.

Do you think

My previous 330 BMW touring had 35's front and 40's rear and it did not look add at all.

Should be fine, ran a similar setup on 19's with no issues (and no quattro malarkey haha). Eventually bit the bullet and went 35 all round, prefer same at each corner. Just remember tyres are economy, speed, breaking, handeling, etc... also money though.

The only issues I can see is that you speedo will not be accurate as you are reducing the rolling radius of the wheels and the ride may be marginally harder due to the reduced side wall

bmw's usually have 40 front and 35 rear and run a staggered set up on most e46 running 18's. in your case with the audi i can't see it would hurt and would bearly be noticable if you were to run the set up you talk of

It's still normal to have the wheel centres level and all the tyres the same rolling radius (and circumference).

An M3 running 225/40's and 255/35's 18" staggered has 1mm different rolling radii, although the tyres are 30mm different in width. The tyre's sidewall height will be near as exactly the same.

I'm not saying it's a great difference but if you've gone to the trouble of designing and making a car with near 50/50 weight distribution and equal corner weighting you're going to specify the tyres so it runs level.

The sidewalls of the 35 tyres in the OP's post are 9mm shallower and, if, on the speedo axle will be out by about 5mph.

My previous 330 BMW touring had 35's front and 40's rear and it did not look add at all.
BMW 330 have different width tyres front and rear. The 35 is a percentage of the tyre width in height.

Also how about the ABS?
It will see different wheel speeds so may make the ABS play up.

Tom.