tyre advice please...

nobbybonez

Reaction score
hi

i popped a tyre on a rock in the road last night, happily it was nearly dead anyways, as are the other three.
i'm currently running on **** budget tyres that came with the car when i bought it, so looking forward to getting some decent rubber on. wheel/suspension setup is standard, usage will be approx 5k year miles, school runs and hard driving without the kids. wet performance is important. not too fussed about ride, though the potholes don't get any better :(
i'm leaning towards pilot sport 3's or goodyear f1's, if anyone has good alternatives or a heads up on best pricing i would very much appreciate it...

nobby

Eagle f1 has been by far the best tyre I've had so far. Used to have toyo proxes which is a good tyre but these are another league in my opinion. I have heard some people raving about NSR tyres recently which could be worth looking into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks lemon. a mate used to rave about the toyos, but they never get the recommendations of the ps3's or f1's

going to chuck an extra question in... if there's a choice, 91y or 94y and why?

NS2R's are good but more track orientated,Eagle f1's like Lemon says

I've tried both Sport 3's and F1's, both are good on the road and perform as good as one another however I will for sure pick f1 assy 2 as they last a lot longer (I did 20-25k if I remember correctly) and also have a rim protector.

how in holy feck can anyone get 20k miles from a tyre? or is that for the whole set :p

cheers for the replies, keep sharing

To my understandings, always pick the load rating (91/94) according to manufactures recommendation. Picking the wrong one would either result in a harsh ride or your tyres wearing out quicker.

Enter your reg in the site below and it should tell you the recommended rating

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

no, was looking at those also. bit more expensive.

anyone tried vredstien ultrac sessanza's? i can get four for 240... but not sure they would handle standing water well...

I've got Goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 3's there latest type of tyre. Best tyre I've ever used. Grips well in wet and dry, noticed my fuel economy has gone up very slightly, I'm averaging out 32mpg now instead of 30-31mpg. Little to no road noise, depending on the roads of course, here in Herefordshire you may as well be driving down cobbled stone tracks the roads are that bad!

tyrereviews.co.uk review on Michelin PS4 said:
"in fact in gear five flooring it from 30mph the grip is shockingly superb"

great review - surprised he didn't light his wheels up

Reactions: tomjol
anyone tried vredstien ultrac sessanza's? i can get four for 240... but not sure they would handle standing water well...

I had these on my previous car BMW 320d great tyre but very very soft! They lasted about 8000 miles!

no, was looking at those also. bit more expensive.

Have those on my S3. I've had them before on my W124 and 540i. Great all-around tires, with good performance in the wet. But like all all-season tires, they don't do 1 thing brilliantly. But it's my opinion you can't beat them for the price.

They also have a bit of tire noise past 110kph. Driven over 10,000km on mine and still in good shape. I rotate my tires every 1000km though.

I recently fitted 4 new Goodyear F1 Assymetric 3's (18") to my S3 for £344 fitted. Seem really good so far.

almost hate to say it, but.. kwikfit had the goodies...

Ef1a3