typical pence per mile for work expenses

euan_f

Reaction score
Just wondering what the typical prices people get for fuel when claiming it back from their work. I see the government suggests 12p for 2.0 and above for petrols and 16p for equivalent desiel.

Do companies generally stick to these rates, Or do people get alot higher?

My S3 would be costing me about the 14p per mile (rough calculations basing on 35mpg). Ill be looking to swap to a more economical car after a few months but initially it'll be the S3 getting used.

My company gives me 21p/mile for using my own car.

The numbers you've quoted above seem to be for a company car - see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advisory-fuel-rates/advisory-fuel-rates-from-1-june-2015

I'm guessing your S3 isn't a company one?

Remember you can claim the difference back between what your employer pays you and the HMRC limit as tax relief.
See https://www.gov.uk/rates-and-thresholds-for-employers-2015-to-2016#employee-vehicles-mileage-allowance-payments-maps for the rates

In my case that's 45p-21p = 24p/mile as tax relief for the first 10,000 miles. This goes into box 17 'Business Travel and subsistence expenses' in the employment section of my tax return.

Reactions: euan_f
Cheers for that dazzler. Seems ive alot of working out to do with the car then. Yeah ill get a company car allowance and i can claim the business miles back (unsure of business miles ill do yet).

Ideally i dont want to be out of pocket due to work. so think the S3 will need to go infavour of a TDI avant.

45p a mile for me as well, but, they have cut back a lot from when I started on what miles I can claim for.
I take it right out of them whenever I have reason to.

Been reading up on this abit more after dazzlers post. So under 45p and upto 10k miles you dont declare. But anything over 45p or over 10k miles is taxable?

Ive found what looks like a decent app for tracking fuel abd mileage called fuelio (play store). No need to convert litres into gallons then calculate. Works out pence per mile so will use that just now before i need to really use it if i get this job.

My company were pretty good about it, still are to an extent.
Every mile that I do pays me 45p tax free. I just don't get paid to take my car from the main office to the site I am supposedly based at.
If I use my money to buy fuel for their benefit, I do not expect to get taxed on anything I claim back.

I only have a 1 mile commute nowadays so my company won't pay.. Getting the union involved ;) Was use to getting 40p/mile...

Reactions: euan_f and newbster
Been reading up on this abit more after dazzlers post. So under 45p and upto 10k miles you dont declare. But anything over 45p or over 10k miles is taxable?

my reading of this was upto 10k miles the tax free limit is 45p, after that its a lower limit (21p?)

I claim 45p/mile, we also can claim a bit more if we have a work colleague with us

its all automated, slap in the mileage and its gets paid next week,

I get a car allowance, but reading our rule book, its supposed to be less than 10 years old, no one has noticed yet but I have a 2003 tdi sport, and I really don't want to change it

Cool i just wanted to make sure i waant going to be out of pocket qith their setup. Ill get a car allowance as well. So trying to work out what to replace the S3 with. Needs to be either a hatchback or a avant/estate. id have the value of the S3 to play with so just over 10k i think. Still want something fairly quick if im going to be in it alot. So either the 2.0TDI 170brake or the 3.0TDI.

Sorry guys - been away for the weekend.

To clarify (I hope):
- I get a monthly car allowance in salary
- The monthly allowance and my fuel expenses gets taxed via PAYE/P60 totals on my tax return as it's all taxable pay
- Up to 10,000 miles/annum you can claim relief for the difference between what your company pays and the HMRC max rate of 45p.
- Anything over 10,000 miles/annum you can claim relief the difference between what your company pays and the HMRC max rate of 25p.

So as my company pays me 21p/mile:
- If I do 9999 miles, I can claim 9,999 x 24p (45p HMRC max - 21p from the company) = £2399.76 as tax relief.
- If I do 10,100 miles, I can claim (10,000 x 24p) + [100 x 4p (25p HMRC max - 21p from the company)] = £2404.00 as tax relief.

I have to net-off the mileage to/from my 'base office' to home from my company expense claims - but I do not have to net-off that mileage from your tax relief claim.

I have an excel spreadsheet that works out the values needed for my tax return. Happy to share.

Reactions: euan_f and Jake 61