Turning off lane assist

A6 Avant

Reaction score
Has anyone worked out how to make lane assist stay off (by default) without having to turn it off each time you start the car?

It’s only really useful on the motorway in my experience but I’d rather turn it on for that and have it off by default because it can be dangerous when overtaking cyclists/parked cars etc.

Yes, you can through the ODB11 app:

Yes, you can through the ODB11 app:
Thanks, I'll try and get an obdeleven and give that a try then. Any idea what other tweaks like this it can do on the A6 C8 please?

One I'd really like is to be able to close the boot via the key rather than having to press the button on the car but I think I remember reading about needing to have the storage pack or something like that.

Only caveat to that I would add is that what is possible with OBDeleven or VCDS will depend on whether the car has MIB-2 or MIB-3. Cars built mid(ish) 2020 will have MIB-3 (USB-C sockets in arm rest is the most obvious identifier) and Audi has made it much harder to allow changes to be made to the settings on these cars so things you read on forums like this may not work on the newer cars. Trial and error is the only way to find out what works on your car and you need to make certain you know what you changed so if it does not work you can change it back to the original settings

Reactions: psychopomp1
Only caveat to that I would add is that what is possible with OBDeleven or VCDS will depend on whether the car has MIB-2 or MIB-3. Cars built mid(ish) 2020 will have MIB-3 (USB-C sockets in arm rest is the most obvious identifier) and Audi has made it much harder to allow changes to be made to the settings on these cars so things you read on forums like this may not work on the newer cars. Trial and error is the only way to find out what works on your car and you need to make certain you know what you changed so if it does not work you can change it back to the original settings
Thanks, mine's an earlier model with the standard USB sockets so hopefully it'll be ok. Any particular changes you can recommend?

Excellent point. I've noticed that on my 2022 VW Touareg hardly any OBDEleven modification or 'app' works. Worst mistake was buying a £200 Traffic Sign Recognition dongle from Kufatec only to find out that it did diddly squat on my Touareg after coding, despite the TSR option being selected in menu. That's 200 notes down the drain as Kufatec won't take the dongle back....100% my fault of course as I should have checked with Kufatec first :(

Thanks, mine's an earlier model with the standard USB sockets so hopefully it'll be ok. Any particular changes you can recommend?
From the top of my head these are the OBD11 mods i did when i had my A6 C8:
* Enabling rear DRLs (Scandinavian type)
* Audio chirping when locking/unlocking car
* Enabling handbrake automatically once putting the car into 'P'
* Enabling Wireless Apple Carplay
* Remembering last 'lane assist' setting

There's loads of others available but the above i found most useful/cool

Also if not already enabled, I highly recommend getting the Traffic Sign Recognition feature enabled, this could potentially save you getting points on your licence (or worse!) as the car will display the speed limit in dashboard based on posted speed limits. This feature can't be enabled in OBD11/VCDS (well not easily at least), buying a dongle like this is the only option realistically

But check with Kufatec first, by sending your car's VIN in case you need to return the dongle for a refund. Don't make the same mistake I did lol

Good luck!

From the top of my head these are the OBD11 mods i did when i had my A6 C8:
* Enabling rear DRLs (Scandinavian type)
* Audio chirping when locking/unlocking car
* Enabling handbrake automatically once putting the car into 'P'
* Enabling Wireless Apple Carplay
* Remembering last 'lane assist' setting

There's loads of others available but the above i found most useful/cool

Also if not already enabled, I highly recommend getting the Traffic Sign Recognition feature enabled, this could potentially save you getting points on your licence (or worse!) as the car will display the speed limit in dashboard based on posted speed limits. This feature can't be enabled in OBD11/VCDS (well not easily at least), buying a dongle like this is the only option realistically

But check with Kufatec first, by sending your car's VIN in case you need to return the dongle for a refund. Don't make the same mistake I did lol

Good luck!
Thanks, they all sound like good features to enable.

I think mine already has the traffic sign recognition as standard as the speed limit appears on the main sat nav screen (although not on the smaller screen in the speedometer).

Also did you try TPMS in dashboard? It's showing as an available app but I'm not sure if it requires extra hardware or not.

You do not have Traffic Sign Recognition as when installed it shows the speed in the instrument cluster. The speed shown on the sat nav screen uses the data in the mapping data and is often inaccurate, especially if the speed limit has changed in the last couple of years. Most A6s have the passive TPMS system which detects punctures based on the rotational speed of the tyres. Some cars do have the active system which uses sensors in the tyre valves and allows the tyyre pressure of each whee to be displayed in the dash, but I think only RS6 has had that option in the UK

You do not have Traffic Sign Recognition as when installed it shows the speed in the instrument cluster. The speed shown on the sat nav screen uses the data in the mapping data and is often inaccurate, especially if the speed limit has changed in the last couple of years. Most A6s have the passive TPMS system which detects punctures based on the rotational speed of the tyres. Some cars do have the active system which uses sensors in the tyre valves and allows the tyyre pressure of each whee to be displayed in the dash, but I think only RS6 has had that option in the UK
Thanks for explaining that. I've always found the speed limits to be accurate so far. I guess I should update my navigation software more often but I'm not sure how to do it without 'MyAudi' which I don't want.

It's a bit disappointing regarding the TPMS as the A6 is a much more 'premium' car than my previous BMW and that showed the individual tyre pressures as standard. I was also surprised when I found my A6 didn't come with basic blindspot monitoring as standard because most cars seem to have that these days and it's quite a useful feature. The A6 has got loads of other bells and whistles (including the annoying lane assist) but seems to be missing a few basic features.

I recently had a puncture and the TPMS warning didn't go off (luckily I noticed pretty quickly). Would this just be down to it not being reset correctly when the pressures were last changed or could it indicate a problem with the sytem? The former wouldn't surprise me at all as it was in at my local dealership a few days before for the alignment to be done and they don't seem to have done anything correctly. They also left all of my tyres massively over-inflated.