Turning car off completely

Scuba Blue

Reaction score
Apologies if this is a really stupid question. I'm driving to Spain in a couple of months and will be dozing in the car for a few hours on the way. All my previous vehicles have had a normal ignition key, so when I stopped to sleep and turned it off it was fully off. With my A4, the car always seems to be awake when I'm in it with the key. The radio works as does the MMI screen and various other functions. Is there an amount of time after which it would fully shut down?

Reactions: Daggerit
Apologies if this is a really stupid question. I'm driving to Spain in a couple of months and will be dozing in the car for a few hours on the way. All my previous vehicles have had a normal ignition key, so when I stopped to sleep and turned it off it was fully off. With my A4, the car always seems to be awake when I'm in it with the key. The radio works as does the MMI screen and various other functions. Is there an amount of time after which it would fully shut down?

It will keep playing for a long time after turning it off with the key.

Just turn it off then open and close the drivers door and that should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kondax and cuke2u
As above, or you can hold down the volume button on the central console for a few seconds as that will also turn off the MMI after turning off the engine. The VC itself will automatically turn off after a while...

Reactions: Kondax and Daggerit
I've got a feeling the above will still leave some systems running for a while, so I'd suggest what @Daggerit said - turn it off, then open and close the drivers door. Everything will turn off immediately

Reactions: And1 and Daggerit
I've got a feeling the above will still leave some systems running for a while, so I'd suggest what @Daggerit said - turn it off, then open and close the drivers door. Everything will turn off immediately
Not if the ignition is off, by pressing and holding down the mmi volume it turns it off completely. Even when you do all of that and lock the doors and walk away there will always be something running, this cannot be avoided. The car automatically shuts things down itself...

Not if the ignition is off, by pressing and holding down the mmi volume it turns it off completely. Even when you do all of that and lock the doors and walk away there will always be something running, this cannot be avoided. The car automatically shuts things down itself...
I know the MMI turns off through that, but wasn't sure if it turned off things like Aircon or whatever else stays on (I can't remember what stays on apart from mmi now I think about it)

Ignition off means that only critical hardware has power, cooling pumps, which you would need operating, etc. The climate will be off as it would be with any other car...

Ignition off means that only critical hardware has power, cooling pumps, which you would need operating, etc. The climate will be off as it would be with any other car...
I don't know, I wouldn't count MMI as critical hardware :grinning:

I know they don't run when the ignition is off when entering the car, but turning the car off and remaining in will still keep somethings running which is where opening the door will come in useful for them to shut down..

The delay with the mmi is only like any other car, my ford had the same and it has a delay only for a drivers convenience. On some cars this delay can be changed. However switching it off by pressing and holding the volume button down switches it completely. I assure you. If you aren't sure then that handy booklet called a manual has the answers ;-)

The delay with the mmi is only like any other car, my ford had the same and it has a delay only for a drivers convenience. On some cars this delay can be changed. However switching it off by pressing and holding the volume button down switches it completely. I assure you. If you aren't sure then that handy booklet called a manual has the answers ;-)
I'm aware of that and have used it before. What I'm saying is that there might be other systems that run after you shut the car down and turn the ignition off independent of the MMI that aren't "critical". I mentioned earlier I don't know if there are any for definite, but opening the door is probably a safer bet than forcefully shutting down the MMI

You aren't forcfully turning it off, just turning it off as one can normally do. By opening the doors you are also unlocking them, which you may not wish to do if you wish to take a nap. I cannot see anything different happening to the systems by opening the door and closing it again other than the mmi going off.
But hey, it's up to you, I am only stating the alternative which is fact...

You aren't forcfully turning it off, just turning it off as one can normally do. By opening the doors you are also unlocking them, which you may not wish to do if you wish to take a nap. I cannot see anything different happening to the systems by opening the door and closing it again other than the mmi going off.
But hey, it's up to you, I am only stating the alternative which is fact...
I agree, "manually" would probably have been a better term for it, as it it's the car automatically shitting it down. It depends on if there's any other systems that run - but if there aren't, then turning the MMI off manually would achieve the same goal.

The car has smart charging system as well, so any redundant systems do get automatically turned off. Apologies if any of my use of terms confused...

Reactions: Daggerit and Kondax
Sorry, I was replying on mobile earlier and manage to fat finger my replies.

What I was saying was that it would have been better for me to call in "manual" instead of "forceful", as it isn't the car automatically shutting it down but manual user intervention to do so. I'm not sure if things like USB sockets would continue to charge phones when the ignition is off but you haven't exited, but if that is the case I assume manually turning the MMI system off wouldn't stop that whereas opening the door would

Reactions: cuke2u
No worries, the usb ports stay active for a while even when leaving the car and locking the doors...

Reactions: Kondax
No worries, the usb ports stay active for a while even when leaving the car and locking the doors...
Is this true with the OBD2 port too? I notice my dashcam stays on for a small amount of time after exiting the vehicle but it might just have an internal battery

Depends on what supply the cam is connected to as some 12v supplies also stay on. Mine is connected to a permanently live supply.
ODB port, yes as this is how thieves can start a car with a laptop...

Reactions: Kondax