Turbo whine??

djcatfood

Reaction score
When you can feel the turbo kick in there is a whine noise??Is this normal or is it on the way??

Probably the turbo spooling mate? What sort of mileage has your car done? Could be a leaky boost pipe.

Spooling is where the turbo is spinning up to create boost. Has your car gone into limp mode at all?

No not yet! suppose thats the next stage,whats happens when it goes??It's not a loud noise faint wineing

Mine started to whine, faint at first but then gradually louder. It then started to overboost and eventually after about 4000miles went into limp home mode. Reconditioned turbo later, faint whine is still there(think this is normal although it never used to make the noise???) but driving fine.

Just a matter of time then!!:/ glad itook AA warranty cover!!

Whistle is normal, whine could be a sign of turbo on a way out.
Make sure your warranty covers the turbo.

A feint whistle is normal, mine is quite noticeable with the windows open. I have had several cars with turbos, think this one is number six, and they have all done it. The audi did sound a little harsh when I got it but after a service and some fresh oil sounds much better, difficult to describe but the spool up now sounds much smoother.

well this eve i have noticed a very faint sort of whine/whistling sound but this is isn't under heavy acceleration and its before the turbo kicks in then I can just hear it spooling up, does this sound like a leaky boost pipe? not really too sure if its something to worry about only noticed it as i didn't have the stereo on

Mine has a whine on it, but mine is intermittent and sounds more like it's the alternator than the turbo, like a belt whine if that makes sense?

well this eve i have noticed a very faint sort of whine/whistling sound but this is isn't under heavy acceleration and its before the turbo kicks in then I can just hear it spooling up, does this sound like a leaky boost pipe? not really too sure if its something to worry about only noticed it as i didn't have the stereo on

I noticed that after changing standard air filter to ITG panel filter.

I think a little bit of scaremongering going on here :)

Whistle/whine is normal to an extent, however your car has done 96k, the turbo's get caked up inside with sticking internals, now thats not to say yours is at that stage or ever will be, but I would do a scan of the car, if no signs of overboosting or errors in general I wouldnt worry about it, if it bothers you that much then get it looked at, check intake pipes are all tight & in place, check system for leaks, remove turbo check internals & see if its caked or not, also check if the bearings are loose, variety of ways to deal with, but unless you notice any performance differences I wouldnt worry yourself atm.

Mine went & replaced with a hybrid, my heart sunk as I thought uh oh new engine or car scrapped, luckily (in some ways) it was just the turbo, but the oil had gone into exhaust system, so had to drain this out & then pass liquid through to get rid of any clogged up excess oil, did it all myself, was a ball breaker, but I learnt allot from it & very glad I did it tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedDejavu and djcatfood
my tdi sounds like a police car is following me the turbo whines so much! doesnt seem to be any leakages or anything though...

When mine started whining (after I had only had it 3 weeks) I sent it back to the dealership and was told I needed a new turbo. Which the garage kindly paid for. And now it doesn't make a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As NHN says people are to quick to replace turbos.

When i bought my 54 plate 2.0TDI there were no whistles or whines, i gave it an oil change (with good quality recommended oil) and within 1000 miles it started to sound like a police car was following. 500 miles later it went into limp mode, this happened several times before i decided to take the turbo off and have a look. It was badly sooted up, but i could not see any wear at all. I gave it a clean with parafin and other chemicals i had laying around in the garage. It was soot free when i put it back together, i have done about 5000 miles since, it has not gone back into limp mode, and i have no loss in power.
However! I still have a faint whistle/whine, and there has been a couple of ocassions it was quite loud that worried me.

After reading a few more posts, I then checked my vacuum hoses to my intercooler and noticed oil around the joins, so purchased replacement seals thinking that would cure the noise, but the noise was still there, and when checking the vacuum hoses again a few weeks later, i noticed they were still dispursing a small amount of oil.
I will be replacing the hoses at some point, but in no hurry while the car is running fine.

Hope my experience can help!

How do you tell the difference between a healthy whistle and one you should worry about?

I've got a slight whistle from around 1300/1400 rpm, when the boost kicks in I can no longer hear it. I can only hear the whistle when the windows are up, when they're down I can hear more of a air suction sound if that's makes sense lol

Any advice would be great :)

a healthy whistle is what you'd hear on any turbo diesel you drive past, the siren you might hear (similar to the VXR Bathurst supercharger) coming from your turbo is NOT a healthy sound, and the lift-off dump valve type waste gate sound shouldn't be too excessive either, I just had my turbo removed, stripped and cleaned properly, it sounds like a new turbo, the lift off sound is nowhere near as aggressive and the whistle is now a very civilised one

Reactions: Mujnu
a healthy whistle is what you'd hear on any turbo diesel you drive past, the siren you might hear (similar to the VXR Bathurst supercharger) coming from your turbo is NOT a healthy sound, and the lift-off dump valve type waste gate sound shouldn't be too excessive either, I just had my turbo removed, stripped and cleaned properly, it sounds like a new turbo, the lift off sound is nowhere near as aggressive and the whistle is now a very civilised one

Thanks for that mate. Puts my mind at rest a little ha :)