Turbo whine, rebuild and whine again

jsosic

My 1.9tdi with around ~122k km (75k miles) developed a turbo whine.

First it started on downspool, when revving it in idle and releasing the pedal, then on ~1600->1000 rpm you could hear a whine.

After that it started becoming worse and worse.

I took the car for the turbo rebuild, and mechanic told me turbo "developed a play" and that's why it was whining. It didn't had too much carbon buildup, etc....

After the turbo rebuild, everything was quiet, but not for a long time :( I did around 700 miles of highway (~130km/h on cruise control) and sound started appearing again. And I've got the feeling it's getting louder again, which means, another rebuild after only 1500 miles of cruise controled highway?!?!

Now, either a rebuild wasn't done properly, or there's something else that's destroying a turbo and will happen again after another rebuild... Any ideas guys?

SootySport

Have you check the oil flow from the oil feed pipe going into the turbo? and flow returning to the engine. I’ve just been watching this-

nluk100

Who did your rebuild? What did they replace? Did they balance the turbo at high speed as they spin at over 120,000 rpm.