Turbo upgrade from K03S to K04

edgxxxr

Reaction score
Hello.
My car is Audi A3 quattro1.8t (ARY), that is currently running a stage 1 tune. On the dyno sheet it is clear, that the engine could not hold the boost for long time. The guys at the dyno said it is probably a broken wastegate, but the issue could be anywhere in a turbo. Right now I am thinking about switching to a completely new K04 turbo.
I have found an aliexpress seller, thet sells a complete kit with the new turbo, pipes, hoses, front mount intercooler, wastegate, manifold and other stuff. The whole kit with shipping will cost around 615EUR.
The question is, is it a good idea to buy that kit, or it would be better to look out for different one. Or it is better to build that kind of setup myself?
I am not chasing the maximum power figures, just wanted a more stable setup. As the turbo needs to be changed, k04 looks like a good deal for making around 250-270hp.
Aliexpress k04 turbo kit link

Attachments

• ZDX-Perfomance.jpg
    ZDX-Perfomance.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 188
Thats for an inline 1.8t (A4, Passat etc) not a transverse 1.8t...

<tuffty/>

Hello.
Thanks for your reply. Have you seen something simmilar for a transverse engine?

Personally I would avoid those kits like the plague... cheap crap components... if you are looking for a K04 then arguably source the parts from a K04 car (S3, TT, LCR) or go K03 hybrid...

K03 hybrid would typically require larger injectors, larger MAF housing and correct MAF sensor, suitable TIP (for the hybrid comp housing and larger MAF) and any other prerequisite/suitable mods (FMIC etc)...

K04 conversions require the exhaust manifold, oil and coolant lines, downpipe and all the other stuff above...

...plus a suitable tune of course

<tuffty/>

Reactions: danny_dj3
The wobbly lines is more likely related to the haldex... a lot of dynos will show that kind of graph if run in AWD mode on haldex cars

As for the boost.... as Karl said, K03 is out of breath almost as soon as it spools up and your curve looks pretty normal to me for a K03/K03s.... power looks about right too

<tuffty/>

The wobbly lines is more likely related to the haldex... a lot of dynos will show that kind of graph if run in AWD mode on haldex cars

As for the boost.... as Karl said, K03 is out of breath almost as soon as it spools up and your curve looks pretty normal to me for a K03/K03s.... power looks about right too

<tuffty/>
Hey. The second run was made with haldex turned off. The Haldex fuse was ejected so it should've been better. Am I wrong?

Should have been but looks like torque intervention to me tbh... could also be the map that contributing

<tuffty/>