1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Turbo replacement

Peaky Dec 23, 2019

1. Peaky

Peaky New Member

Looks like my turbo is on its last legs. Is there anywhere in Bolton/Manchester that can replace. My car is a A4 1.9tdi 130 quattro AVF 54 plate. I was toying with the idea to fit myself as it's a bolt off bolt on, but I'm worried if I come into any problems. Is this a straight forward job I have had the egr off and cleaned checked all the pipes and all seems good. Any help appreciated.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Well-Known Member

It's very common for the turbo vanes to start sticking on VW/Audi TDI's so it's worth doing the Mr Muscle treatment before throwing a new turbo at it. A search of this forum or Google will reveal how to do it.

4. pauldazzle

5. Peaky

Peaky New Member

Thanks for the reply. The vanes aren't stuck i can hear metal on metal sounds like the bearings gone.

6. pauldazzle

New turbo needed then. If your ok with the spanners it's not a hard job to replace.

7. Peaky

Peaky New Member

My main concern is priming the turbo properly with oil. Is there any how to guides about?

8. pauldazzle

Priming the turbo is at about 6.35 min.

9. Venomuk

Venomuk New Member

The turbo failed on my PD130 Golf a few years back and I used these videos on how to remove, strip and rebuild my turbo. I found them very helpful, I just watched them over and over and had them on hand when it come to strip down. I didn't strip the VNT side down as mine was moving freely and look quite clean. I did, however, make a cocktail of petrol and injector cleaner in a bucket and rested the HOT side of the turbo in that for a few days giving it a little agitation now and again to make sure it was 100% clean and moving freely.

I removed the crank sensor so that the car wouldn't start and cranked a few times to ensure oil had reached the turbo and then took a deep breath and fired her up. No leaks and you could feel the difference a new core made to the car. After 1000 miles of slow driving I was happy things were settled in and later that year I took it on a 1000 mile trip to the ring and back and happy to say the car is still going strong now

Hope this helps

10. Peaky

Peaky New Member

Thanks for that. I'm doing a similar thing between my Haines manual and online videos to build my own picture and shopping list needed.

11. QuattroCalum

QuattroCalum Well-Known Member Saloon saloon Audi A4 Black Edition Manual

Melett supplied my new CHRA, £149 delivered not a difficult job.