Turbo questions

Jordan6

Reaction score
So I've got the 2.0 tfsi Quattro and I'm wanting more power I've been looking at the ko4 conversion and also reading on the ko3s but people are saying that the ko3s is better in power delivery and price.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers

The K03 will give you a decent shove in the back from low revs but tends to run out of steam. It spools up with very little lag. The K04 can be tuned to 360+ BHP quite easily and will rev with eagerness round to the red line. The TTE 420 which is a hybrid K04 will see 400+BHP providing the rest of the installation is up to the mark.

The K03 will give you a decent shove in the back from low revs but tends to run out of steam. It spools up with very little lag. The K04 can be tuned to 360+ BHP quite easily and will rev with eagerness round to the red line. The TTE 420 which is a hybrid K04 will see 400+BHP providing the rest of the installation is up to the mark.

Would you have to upgrade internals to handle the ko4?

Would you have to upgrade internals to handle the ko4?
What gains would you be looking st with the ko3s? Also I'm sure you'll have to do injectors, clutch, fuel pump and down pipe for the ko4, also intercooler might be wrong

I have read somewhere that by the time you fork out for all the parts your better off just selling your a3 and buying an s3

Reactions: Rideen
I have read somewhere that by the time you fork out for all the parts your better off just selling your a3 and buying an s3
That is true, so that's why I might just go for the ko3s, but I'm not sure if it's a straight swap

I was just about to say that's what you on the 2.0tfsi until I saw you put an s on it, just quickly read up about them! May think about doing that on mine! If you do it let me know how you get on with it mate

The S3 engine has uprated pistons and rods,and will safely cope with 440-450lbs on stock internals.

If you try for anywhere near that on the TFSi,you would definitely need to uprate the internals accordingly,and that's where the comments about buying an S3 come in.
Arguably,if you built the engine with a big turbo in mind,you'd not lose anything over starting with an S3 in the first place.....the difference comes at any point up to 450lbs.

I was just about to say that's what you on the 2.0tfsi until I saw you put an s on it, just quickly read up about them! May think about doing that on mine! If you do it let me know how you get on with it mate
The S3 engine has uprated pistons and rods,and will safely cope with 440-450lbs on stock internals.

If you try for anywhere near that on the TFSi,you would definitely need to uprate the internals accordingly,and that's where the comments about buying an S3 come in.
Arguably,if you built the engine with a big turbo in mind,you'd not lose anything over starting with an S3 in the first place.....the difference comes at any point up to 450lbs.
cheers for your input Alex, do you know anything about the ko3s by any chance?

Would I be correct in saying that the K03S turbos were used on the 1.8T VAG engines up to about 2004 and not used on the TFSI engines?

The K03s is used on the 2.0tfsi, there are hybrid K03s turbos available but they work out the same sort of money as fitting a K04, but they do spool quicker than a K04.
You will be better off starting to get your car to Stage 2+ first with supporting mods, turbo back exhaust, CAI, HPFP better brakes, and uprated clutch, and once your there you can then think about stage 3 K04 or hybrid K03s. After that its upgraded internals and hybrid K04.

My a3 is only worth about 3500, think I'd rather put that money towards a newer lower mileage s3 and start with that I think.

A k04-064 should bolt straight on and the factory map will support that fine just depends on how far you want to go. I know a 1.8tfsi with ko4 and supporting mods, CAI, 2.0l injectors, s3 IC, exhaust, stage 2(no internals) hits 330bhp and 450nm. Using that as a reference 2.0 tfsi would easily be safe at that.

This is very interesting to me cos I was thinking exactly the same so thanks - Not start an A3 - S3 fight off but if you are changing a lot of things from standard e.g. Suspension - Brakes - Fuel Pump etc. then there's not going to be loads of difference between starting with a stock S3 or A3 2.0 tfsi surely?? As Alex said rods + pistons so there is that to factor in.

If you want high end power with kick at low end get a ko4 and send it to beach buggy turbos to get a anti sure core its around £400 but it reduces the low end lag. Also if you want power and little lag the bbt430 is a good reasonable priced alternative ko4 bolt on. I belive bbt do a 360 for the ko3 version. Best place to ask is aks tuning or rtech. They will give you the answers you meed

I've just gone from a K03 (Standard) to K04 in a 2007.
To get the best out of the K04 you do need all the rest of the parts suggested by Revo (HPFP, Injectors, Intercooler, CAI and T/B Exhaust). However, having spent out on all of this kit, and a set of Bilstein B16's, I fitted it myself before Revo (TC Garage, Copthorne, Excellent guys) installed the Stage 3 map.

I have to say, with the K04, turbo and injectors (before the Intercooler), there was a definite increase in performance AND (surprisingly) fuel ecconomy. The existing map (stage 1) handled the new parts easily save for a few engine management lights to do with the Lambda sensor and the New Exhaust.

I'm not sure if New internals are essential (even for Stage 3), but a wise investment.

The K04 is an easy fit if you have nible fingers - getting the old turbo out and the new one in is a bit tight, but can be done. Just make sure ALL the oil and coolant connections are tight - you don't want to be trying to stop a leak once the new turbo is fitted - next to impossible (I learnt from my own mistakes...).

You will have to relocate the DV valve. If you go for the Revo CAI you have a T-piece on the instate silicone hose (to turbo inlet) that allows you to relocate the DV to the front of the engine. Again, a new pressure pite is required from Turbo to throttle Body (to mount the DV). I went with the wider bore Nuspeed pipe.

The electrical cable to the DV can be taken out of the plastic covered loom and diverted from the end of the injector wiring loom to the front of the Engine bay without any need for cutting cables or custom looms. Just get some more plastic cover for a tidy job.

Now running Stage 3 with DSG Stage 2 and not looked back since (I can't look back, car is so ****** swift that I have to keep my eyes front all the time....!!!

G

Reactions: baby.sportback