Turbo Problem HELP Required asap

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was out on Sunday and attempted to overtake a slow driver and all of a sudden lost power, car went into limp mode, EPC light came on and the car sounded a bit Subaru-esque.

I switched off, waited a few mins and then back on again... No EPC light... (phew). I started driving and it was fine around town until I encountered a hill. I accelerated and it was jerky and holding back. This happened every time I went beyond a half-open-throttle.

I ran VCDS and this is what it showed:

15134 - Cylinder 4
P0304 00 [100] - Misfire Detected
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 61888 km
Date: 2018.08.04
Time: 15:13:28
Engine speed: 5425.50 /min
Normed load value: 67.5 %
Vehicle speed: 72 km/h
Coolant temperature: 93 °C
Intake air temperature: 48 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.183 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Engine: operating status: PL
N_TOOTH: 5476 /min
T_AST_SAE: 2842 s
Engine oil temperature: 109.0 °C
STATE_LS_SAE[1]: CL
FUP_H_SAE: 21700.0 kPa
FUP_EFP_MES: 5771.06 hPa
16506 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P33BA 00 [101] - During Direct Injection
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 61889 km
Date: 2018.08.04
Time: 15:14:46
Engine speed: 2181.50 /min
Normed load value: 26.7 %
Vehicle speed: 55 km/h
Coolant temperature: 92 °C
Intake air temperature: 47 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.457 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Engine: operating status: PL
N_TOOTH: 2205 /min
T_AST_SAE: 2920 s
Engine oil temperature: 109.0 °C
STATE_LS_SAE[1]: CL
FUP_H_SAE: 13810.0 kPa
FUP_EFP_MES: 4738.9 hPa
15226 - Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1
P00AF 00 [096] - Stuck
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Readiness: 0010 0001

I'm running Stage 2 tune and haven't had any problems since it was done 6 months ago.

What are your thoughts? Anyone had this happen before?

I spoke to Audi and a new turbo is £1320 so I want to avoid this.

Throw a bottle of Forte Fuel System Cleaner in your tank. Fill it up with Ron98 and take it for a long drive. Then check if it still happens.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

What spark plugs are you using for stage 2? Since you have misfire on cylinder 3 & 4, I'd check the spark plugs and coil pack first. Besides, it has nothing to indicate a blown turbo, the wastegate actuator can be replaced separately, but fix the misfire first...

I think I am running standard plugs as I was told they were not essential. Should I change and if so what for?

The misfire hasn't re-occured since but the power issue, especially going up hill on a dual carriage-way has although no EPC light or limp mode as I let off the throttle as soon as I felt the hesitation.

I've got RS7 plugs on mine (they are one stop colder which you need at Stage 2)....had zero issues with those for almost 2 years.

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68
What spark plugs are you using for stage 2? Since you have misfire on cylinder 3 & 4, I'd check the spark plugs and coil pack first. Besides, it has nothing to indicate a blown turbo, the wastegate actuator can be replaced separately, but fix the misfire first...

Hi is the wastegate replaceable do you have any further info on this?

Got a epc light and "actuator stuck" implausible signal code a while back dealer said if it persists its a new turbo as you can't order the actuator/wastegate on its own...

Hi is the wastegate replaceable do you have any further info on this?

Got a epc light and "actuator stuck" implausible signal code a while back dealer said if it persists its a new turbo as you can't order the actuator/wastegate on its own...

I have no idea what car are you driving lol But anyway, you can check ETKA for PFL turbos, the wastegate actuator is available separately. For FL, it's not listed on ETKA anymore, but you should be able to look at the part number on your turbo and find the part online. It's really BS that you have to buy the entire turbo just coz of the wastegate actuator, besides, most of the time it's just loose vacuum hose or connector, you might want to check that first.

I have no idea what car are you driving lol But anyway, you can check ETKA for PFL turbos, the wastegate actuator is available separately. For FL, it's not listed on ETKA anymore, but you should be able to look at the part number on your turbo and find the part online. It's really BS that you have to buy the entire turbo just coz of the wastegate actuator, besides, most of the time it's just loose vacuum hose or connector, you might want to check that first.

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry its a FL Audi S3.
Is that the connector to the turbo?
Under heavy boost it usually comes on strange as its intermittent.
"Boost pressure control implausible signal"
"Actuator stuck"

once you turn car off and put it back on it goes away.

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry its a FL Audi S3.
Is that the connector to the turbo?
Under heavy boost it usually comes on strange as its intermittent.
"Boost pressure control implausible signal"
"Actuator stuck"

once you turn car off and put it back on it goes away.

There're at least 3 revisions for FL S3 turbo so far, and also different ones for 7-spd DSG, 6-spd US DSG and manual, so you really have to check your turbo part number to make sure. But this is the latest revision 06K145874G for 7-spd DSG, and the wastegate actuator for this guy is 06K145614D (in circle). You can't order it separately for FL S3, but it's available for other VAG models so you can still get it, but the whole turbo has to come out to replace it. You should really check all the vacuum hoses and clean the connector and hope for the best first... Good luck!

Inkedd35ba62a47b883cd518009516ea1 LI

ECS no longer sells them https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/wastegate-control-motor/06k145614d/ but you can still get them on eBay etc, here's one example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AUDI-SE...0120?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

****** Check your turbo part number to make sure!!

Reactions: V6_Man
I had a similar issue but it was my V band on the down pipe was spinning round and stopping the actuator moving freely.

I had a similar issue but it was my V band on the down pipe was spinning round and stopping the actuator moving freely.
How did this happen and how long to diagnose? On the face of it this would seem like an easy fix.

Reactions: MikeParkin
@larbel - Do you know the part number for the PFL actuator for a 2015 S3 8v?

@larbel - Do you know the part number for the PFL actuator for a 2015 S3 8v?

There're really too many variations, it's best to look at your turbo physically or call you dealer to check your VIN for parts.. But in general, PFL is 06K145725S Again, check your turbo first!!!

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Thanks for the input, Interesting i have re clocked it although it seemed very tight beforehand. I still did it for peace of mind. Did you car have a downpipe changed at any point before the clamp playing up? Also Was it visibly loose?

Reactions: MikeParkin
There're at least 3 revisions for FL S3 turbo so far, and also different ones for 7-spd DSG, 6-spd US DSG and manual, so you really have to check your turbo part number to make sure. But this is the latest revision 06K145874G for 7-spd DSG, and the wastegate actuator for this guy is 06K145614D (in circle). You can't order it separately for FL S3, but it's available for other VAG models so you can still get it, but the whole turbo has to come out to replace it. You should really check all the vacuum hoses and clean the connector and hope for the best first... Good luck!

View attachment 162279

ECS no longer sells them https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/wastegate-control-motor/06k145614d/ but you can still get them on eBay etc, here's one example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AUDI-SE...0120?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

****** Check your turbo part number to make sure!!
Great info my turbo part number is 06K145722S

Do you know if it is the same actuator as above? 06K145614D

Thanks

The downpipe was changed, the v band had span round under the down pipe that's what the issue was.

Reactions: MoKha