Turbo problem 2006 2.0 S-line avant

Clint Randall

Reaction score
Hi

The turbo on my car has stopped working. I checked all the hoses and the one to the inter cooler wasn’t sealing well so I replaced it. Still no turbo, I disconnected the MAF sensor and it worked. So today I replaced the sensor with a brand new one from Eurocarparts. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the ECU.

Still not right, but the turbo intermittently works.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Clint

If your DV has failed you will have no boost pressure, very common problem .

Also it wont trow up any EML's on the dash, you will just get no boost pressure or if you do it will be very intermittent.

It is the Diverter valve, early valves are prone to failing, well documented problem so I wont go to far into it, diaphragm splits on early valves and you loose boost pressure.
newer revisions work well ,previous valves do work very well but don't last as long as newer valves, all down to preference.
£40 ish pounds depending on where you go.

th

worth checking the actuator rod whilst changing the dv, mine had broke at the adjustment end causing intermittent boost

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Its a DIY replacement but to make it easier you need to access it from below , so jacking up job, can be done from above but a bit of a knuckle scraper and shouting naughty words experience..lol

maybe we should be asking at this point , whats the milage and have you run VCDS to see what errors have been logged, allways a good plan to get as much diag info as possible.

Thank you so much for your help guys, I will order a new DV valve right away. Do you recommend any UK stockists?

I’ve got a basic auto tool diagnostic plug-in thingy, it hasn’t produced any clues though. The milage is very high about 180,000 miles.

readily available from many sources , TPS are a good starting point or just audi dealer, prices are all pretty well similar.

Hi All,

I went to TPS today and bought a new DV, although they called it a Pressure Convertor, I’ve attached a pic of the old one. Sadly no improvement, should I be expecting an immediate improvement or does it take a while to get used to the new components?

Cheers

Clint

Attachments

• E1065E12-0877-4F2B-A2EF-541D03497413.jpeg
    E1065E12-0877-4F2B-A2EF-541D03497413.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
nope most certainly not a diverter valve, TPS are not normally that slack with parts.
The part numbers you should be ordering are.

here are the part numbers and diagram, choose which DV you need early or late, all are shown as part no3 .

Upload 2018 9 10 17 57 15

Reactions: John Clutton
heres your main choices,
Upload 2018 9 10 18 2 33

ignore the middle pic, 1st pic is the earlier type G rev ,which does acctaully work very well , but D rev is newest but not quite as good but last longer...take your pic.

Cheers Rob, I really am very grateful for all your help. Can’t believe I fitted the wrong part. I like the car so I suppose it’s not to bad to be replacing parts.

Sorry to but in Rob but i believe the earliest one was rev C, sealed well but split frequently. Then came rev D, didnt seal so well but lasted a lot longer. The preffered choice is a rev G the most recent and supposidly reliable dv.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Sorry to but in Rob but i believe the earliest one was rev C, sealed well but split frequently. Then came rev D, didnt seal so well but lasted a lot longer. The preffered choice is a rev G the most recent and supposidly reliable dv.

There was a B , then C , and also an F if i rember correctly but then came G as it was still the diaphragm type , the newest version is D , its because the part numbers are different the first three start 06F , the latest is 06H , that's why the revision letter don't run in order.
I have a C as a spare , a D which new fitted by audi when the turbo was replaced but fitted a G earlier this year, to be really honest chap I have found the G to be the best so far, it maynot last that long but certainly holds boost way longer and better.

Im also running a dv+ 2.5 years and over 20k miles problem free so far.
The only bad stories ive ever heard of them are non genuine ones from ebay etc.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Sygh2k
yep, a very good product aswell, did consider one myself but seemed a lot for what it was, if one came along at a givewaway price i'd give it a go but the G rev I have fitted at present work spot on …..just a case of if its not broke don't fix it with this .

Im also running a dv+ 2.5 years and over 20k miles problem free so far.
The only bad stories ive ever heard of them are non genuine ones from ebay etc.

not seen any copies of it myself chap, is there any obvious way of idenfiying iffy ones.

having just had a quick look at them again it maybe worth a go, I don't recal the last DV+ info sheet I saw mentioning both oem valves as being problematic , only the diaphragm ones , I will have to look at them again then.

I don't know much about them, its purely what ive read posted on favebook by nikki from r-tec.
If you buy them from a reputable dealer i cant see you having a problem, i got mine from amd essex, via ebay funnily enough but its their genuone ebay shop. Unfortunatly their is an awful lot of chinese knock offs for everything, ive even heard storys of people buying dodgy plugs, when in fact they are cheaper chinese copys!

Nikki i mentioned above actually recomends rev G's more often then not. But ive never had an issue with my dv+ and bought it as its advertised as a permanent fix, where i believe even rev G's can fail over time.

Nikki i mentioned above actually recomends rev G's more often then not. But ive never had an issue with my dv+ and bought it as its advertised as a permanent fix, where i believe even rev G's can fail over time.

I found the g rev to work much better than the newer d, boost hold is very noticible with it compared to D which seems to drop of quickly, longevity will be an issue with the G though of that I have no doubt, when it does start to fail I may give the DV+ a go.

Thank you so much for your help guys, I will order a new DV valve right away. Do you recommend any UK stockists?

I’ve got a basic auto tool diagnostic plug-in thingy, it hasn’t produced any clues though. The milage is very high about 180,000 miles.

Just getting back to your problem chap, that milage is pretty high , do you have any service history for the car or receipts etc for parts and work done on it .
without knowing anything about the car , on that milage you could possibly have multiple issues that are effecting performance not just the turbo or boost.
The DV is a common point of failure but on that milage I would expect it to have been changed a few times really, along with other parts , my old bus had to have a complete new turbo and valve after only 32k ish miles , i'm not sure what condition your turbo will be in wear wise after 180k miles if it is still the original item.
more reason that ever to get a vcds run on the car, unless it has a very good service history but even then a full scan will be beneficial .

I’ve got a £25 “GFB style” piston valve from ebay, seems to function fine but its only been on for a week :help:
It’s easy to change so thought I’d try it

I've just spoken to TPS about the valve they sold me yesterday and apparently it is the diesel equivalent to a DV. Here's what they said:

Hi Clint,

I can tell you why you can’t find it now! That’s off a 2.0 Turbo petrol! They don’t have those on the diesel variants sorry. The part Dave supplied yesterday is essentially the equivalent of it on the diesel model

Kind Regards,

Aaron Carpenter

TPS Gloucester

Sales Manager

No problem, I should have been clearer. Any thoughts on my next step? At the moment it’s driving a bit better but still not what I was or as good as having the MAF being disconnected.

Well at least you know all about tfsi DV's now, handy for future ref maybe..

check for vacuum leaks and the N75 Solenoid valve, could also be sticking turbo vanes

I spoke to a mechanic today who advised me to try a genuine MAF rather than the one I bought form Euro car Parts.