Turbo or even more has broken

beerglass

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a A4 TDI 140 S-Line 2006 which I've had from new and today think the turbo has gone on 94K miles

I had a oil pressure sensor warning and carried on driving for 1/4 until safe to pull over.
Turned the car off and on again and it cleared. Then came back on.

I pulled away and had no power, so pulled over again and opened bonnet with engine going and could hear noises around the turbo area. I was 1/4 from Audi main dealer so drove the car into dealer and 100 yards before that white smoke flying out the back.

Been told its more than likely the turbo and its £1400 for turbo and £300 to fit = total £1700

Now I have phoned around and can get another replacement turbo, exchange unit for £400 or a brand new turbo for £600.

These turbos come with 12 months warrantly and Audi will fit, total would be more around £1k

Anyone any views on all this please

Many thanks

Gutted audi owner 8(

My turbo went last week, cost me €1400 for a new one fitted with my indy. He also checked my oil pump in case that was the reason why my turbo failed. The pump and hex shaft were fine, but I didn't get a low oil pressure light, I'd want that checked out because a lack of oil may have caused other damage to the engine.

Thanks for the reply.
Audi have the car at present and hopefully will have some good news early next week.

Can a turbo just give way or does something else happen to cause the turbo failure.

Its worrying that the oil pressure warning came on about 30 seconds before the turbo failed? Could that be something else?

Where does the oil pump live? Off the cambelt drive ? That was replaced by audi last year

you have prob done loads more damage
1 thing you should never do is drive if that light pops on
turbo will be shot maybe the head aswell

you have prob done loads more damage
1 thing you should never do is drive if that light pops on
turbo will be shot maybe the head aswell

ouch, That doesnt sound good 8(

I only drove it for 2 minutes with the light on...

Would that be enough time?

well last time i got that light
i was doin 50mph on a motorway light on slowed an stopped
didnt drive again
turbo and head were fkked
plus had to have oil pump etc etc

Depends how bad the turbo is damaged. I blew my no 1 turbo on the supra and it hit no 2 and shattered it. It blew bits through the engine. Replacement engine needed :(

If its just broken and stayed in place you might be ok...

maybe u wanna get warrenty direct ..my car is coverd from wear and tear on everything to the turbo and engine the only thing that isnt covered for the 32.00 i pay a month is the clutch but thats only just been changed a few months ago by my self... but il rather pay out 32 a month than a massive bill for 1700... iv never had a problem with warrenty direct and been with erm for a year now .. but i have said to them if my turbo and other bits went would i be coverd they said YES .... so have a think about it guys .

Had the bad news. Its £4.5K to repair.
New turbo and balance shaft
The good news...Audi is paying 75% of the bill

No Warranty and its a 2006
I just presented a good case to them and moaned