Turbo Oil Leak

Tempz

Reaction score
Seen a potential A3 1.8T for sale with ~90k on the clock.

The lastest MOT has come up with an advisory for oil leak.

Asked the owner who seemed unaware but got the car checked at a garage today.

His reply was along the lines of ‘turbo boost oil leak, garage said nothing to worry about and I’ve got the receipt’. I think he means turbo oil leak.

Is it worth going to have a look or don’t bother?

Cheers

Walk away.
Seller would have known about the oil leak advisory on the MOT and an oil leak is never 'nothing to worry about' as your engine needs oil to operate correctly.
If it's an easy fix, the seller will do it so potential buyers aren't put off. If it isn't, then he'll try and disguise it so it's someone else's problem.

Walk away.
Seller would have known about the oil leak advisory on the MOT and an oil leak is never 'nothing to worry about' as your engine needs oil to operate correctly.
If it's an easy fix, the seller will do it so potential buyers aren't put off. If it isn't, then he'll try and disguise it so it's someone else's problem.
Thanks mate. Was only considering it because it’s not far from me but any kind of oil leak isn’t a good thing I guess.

So the seller has sent me an quote from a garage inspection to fix the issue.

£225 all in to replace the turbo hose and turbo boost hose.

Would turbo hose problems result in oil leaks?

If the hose is the fault then it could fix the problem.
If it isn't the fault you still have to solve it, and I would bet that it would be a bigger bill than that quote.

Go with your instinct, it's your money and you have to justify the purchase. Nobody here will be affected by your decision, so don't rush it.