Turbo oil drain sealant

Andy123

Reaction score
I've had a tiny oil leak from the oil drain on my gt30 a few times now, seems as though the oil is eating its way through the copper sealant I am using which ends up in tiny amounts of oil making its way down the bolt holes and dripping on the manifold/exhaust which ends up in a nice puff of burnt oil fumes into the inside of the car. I don't want to have to keep resealing it as it is a pain in the *** to keep taking apart therefore I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything better to use as a sealant. I'm already modifying the original drain pipe as the AN fitting isn't to my liking so I am in the middle of making up another flange but am undecided whether to just use the copper sealant again or try something else. I can't find a suitable metal gasket for the drain and I tried an audi gasket used on the old k04 turbo but that wasn't any good either. You can see where it was leaking from the pic below and the red arrow. The other pic is of the turbine on the turbo with its funky red blades which I can only assume is from some additive in the esso fuel I use. Any suggestions appreciated!

1-2.jpg

2.jpg

I use an OEM metal gasket and carefully filed the holes for M8... not had a prob with it...

<tuffty/>

Not a fan of paper based gaskets on a turbo considering the temps they reach...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the comments guys. Stacey- I have a similar flange to that which came with the card/paper gasket but I didn't want to use that for the same reasons Tuffty mentioned. Tuffty- I did try the oem one but quite possibly damaged it when opening the holes up to take the larger bolts. If your one is ok then I'll give that one a go one more time. The sealant is meant to be resistant to oil so not sure why it keeps letting it past.

Cheers for the replies.

It's rated to withstand over 400 degrees C so I can't see how it is just the heat that is causing it.

Turbos glow red hot which is 500 plus degrees IIRC... the sealant will be fairly viscous at that temp I would imagine so its plausible for it to seep through...

Metal seals for the win and yeah, first gasket I filed was a bit rough but didn't leak... in fact I reused it when I changed the hotside the first time but made a new one for the external gate hotside swap..

<tuffty/>

Turbos glow red hot which is 500 plus degrees IIRC... the sealant will be fairly viscous at that temp I would imagine so its plausible for it to seep through...

Metal seals for the win and yeah, first gasket I filed was a bit rough but didn't leak... in fact I reused it when I changed the hotside the first time but made a new one for the external gate hotside swap..

<tuffty/>

The core is going to stay much cooler than the turbine housing so I'd still expect it to hold up ok but it appears not to be so I'm not going to waste any more time on using it. I thought I had a spare oem gasket but don't so looks like the car will be sat around until Monday hoping that audi/tps has one in stock. Damn it.

The build finished mid last year Stacey so nothing much to report on it. I find myself wanting to rip it apart again and improve certain aspects etc but ive resisted so far! I sold my other run around car a month ago so I can't really have this off the road too.