1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo - Manifold V band leak

S3 Hilife Aug 7, 2017

1. S3 Hilife

S3 Hilife It's an addiction Team Dolphin Grey VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3 quattro

I always thought the V banded manifold to turbo joints were supposed to be the best thing to use on turbo applications over a gasket and bolted flange. When I started to hear it blowing I suspected the worst after the Pro4 nightmare lol but after smoke testing it I was surprised to see the V banded flange leaking. I was under the impression that these things shouldn't leak like this once tightened.

How could this happen if everything seems tight and the nuts don't appear to have backed off? (Btw I haven't attempted to tighten them yet as I ran out of time tonight) is this a common occurrence and should it just need tightening up to seal again or will it need separating and cleaning?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Does it leak when hot?

<tuffty/>

4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

its common for metal to metal faces (gasketless installs) like this to leak a little and a smoke test will show even the smallest of gaps... once hot they seal...

<tuffty/>

5. S3 Hilife

S3 Hilife It's an addiction Team Dolphin Grey VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3 quattro

No it still blows when hot, obviously not as bad but it's got worse over the last week or so

6. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

so undo it, clean faces and do it up again. not rocket science
    for additional "sticky" smear a little welseal on it, it will burn off but leave a residue

7. S3 Hilife

Lol, clearly but what I'm saying is it was only fitted about 8-9 months ago. Is it a common thing to have to strip it down, clean and re assemble every few months?

8. badger5

nope

9. Sam_M

Sam_M New Member

The flanges can warp some during welding, not uncommon to use a crush gasket - usually copper - to help it seal.

S3 Hilife likes this.
  10. S3 Hilife

Thanks Sam, I don't think it is warped at all, the mating faces look perfect to me. I took Bills advice and it's been spot on so far and it's been well tested

11. Sam_M

Sam_M New Member

Good stuff, nothing worse than a leaky flange ;)

SHUk likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

This might sound odd, but have you considered lapping it?

I am mating a brand new turbine housing to a used manifold, and the two just didn't feel nice when placed together at first.

15 minutes with some coarse, then fine lapping paste, turning the housing on the manifold, and both faces look a nice dull fully matching pair.

After the first pass with course it was clear to see high and low points in the faces. A bit more work got these out, and now it's perfect.

I'd be confident that's a good move to ensure a good seal, with a little Welseal as an insurance policy.

SHUk and S3 Hilife like this.
  14. S3 Hilife

Haha, great idea that's surprised me, I would have never thought grinding paste would be that effective on stainless steel.

It would be a little bit more tricky to do in my case due to everything already being mounted in place but tbh I test fitted them together before they were installed and it all fitted perfectly tight as it should do. I think what had happened was the nut and back nut had backed off together just enough due to heat cycles to allow very slight separation of the mating faces (?????) well that's my reasoning anyway lol. Although it seemed tight at first I managed to get a few turns on the nut quite easily before removing the clamp and cleaning it up so I put some high temp thread lock on the thread before tightening it back up (not sure how affective that will be though )

15. badger5

not required on vband

16. davidws

davidws New Member

17. S3 Hilife

Hi David, just to clarify mine was only smoking due do carrying out a smoke test with my trusty Hamlet smoke machine to pinpoint where it was blowing otherwise there was no smoke. In your case it looks more like there could be a slight oil leak looking at that smoke in your video but I could be mistaken. I can’t really advise too much as I’m not familiar with your setup.

If it is the V band joint then yes mine has been perfectly fine since separating, cleaning and reassembling

Hope you get it sorted

Steve

18. davidws

davidws New Member

Thanks Steve. Yes oil is my biggest worry right now, as I've had some bad experiences in the past, so I'm hoping it's just something silly.
    I'm a little puzzled because I see no smoke from the exhaust, not even under hard acceleration, and that leak in my video looks and smells like exhaust fumes. Guess the only way to find out is a trip to the garage

S3 Hilife likes this.
  19. davidws

davidws New Member

Figured that the smoke was caused by the v-band/clip being loose. Tightened it up and no more smoke :)

20. S3 Hilife

Nice one :thumbs up: