turbo lag after remap help please!

kellogz

Reaction score
Hi there
Just had my 170 remakes yesterday after having my turbo reconditioned, the tuner in question said the engine was is very good health and took the remap on no problem. Also he informed me there is lag in the turbo and is down about 59ft.1bs on the tourqe!! Was suggested that the setting GAp turbos put the turbo at weren't correct and I need to adjust the actuator bar travel and stop button. Also the turbo is whistling loudly and before the remap was of normal volume. Is this normal? And how can I remedy this problem as feel a bit uneasy driving even though the tuners assured me the enginge and turbo are fine!! Any advice would be much appreciated

The whistling is probably due to the extra boost and pressure created by the remap. Was your remap just a case of having a generic file flashed onto the ECU? Or was it created specifically for the car?

Not generic map I think disK0 specific for my engine as all maps are supposedly dun in house!! was dun by Rick at unicorn developments Stockport

I am very glad you have wrote this post as i have the identicle problem , mine has just had brand new turbo and wastgate actuator put on and is also remapped , unfortunatly i never drove the car before the turbo had blown as i bought the car broke so i dont know if the lag was there before,

here are my symptoms

under 2k rpm there seems to be no power and soon as you hit 2k the car goes into mental fast mode, its giving the exact symptoms as an air mass meter failure , i have ordered vag so i can actually see the readouts from the afm to see if it has actually failed or not . the only thing that makes me think its not the afm is i can hear the sound difference in the turbo from the vnt moving at 2k as if its acting like a switch instead of progressive open/close

I too suffer this to an extent, maybe you guys have a clogged manifold or cat, definitely seems like some form of breathing issue.

Oh and the whistle will be a boost leak.

You're talking about boost threshold rather than lag: the point at which the turbo comes on is the boost threshold, lag is what the throttle response is like once your in boost.

No the extra tourque that should of been gained with the remap didn't reach its full potential of around 340ft.1bs and the tuners explanation for this causing the turbo not kicking in in low gears properly being the rod length and stop button needs adjusting so the turbo will spool up properly in lower gears and revs. Also I had dpf done and he said the whistling is due to that as when in place it acts as a muffler compared the turbo volume I'm now getting now post dpf !! I've attached the dyno print out from after the remap. At this moment in time I'm not a very happy chap IMAG1629IMAG1629IMAG1630

Last edited:
mine has no dpf and custom exhaust also pipercross filter to reduce restriction, sounds like i have a different problem as mine is kicking in but it goes from low to no boost to a violent amount of boost and power within a second soon as you reach 2k in any gear