Turbo Kits

VAGTECH

Reaction score
http://www.vagtech.co.uk/index.php?o...d=48&Itemid=56

VAGtech has been working with HPA since 2004 and has gained unique exposure and experience working with V6 Turbo systems. Jon Watts Managing Director of VAGtech explains how it all started.

It started back in 2003 when I bought my MK4 R32, I instantly knew more power was needed to make the most of the superb chasie VW had designed. Several options were on the table at that time, the one I favoured most was the HPA Turbo setup, but at that time HPA were only offering twin turbo configurations. After sending example manifolds and downpipes from a right hand drive R32 to HPA it become apparent that twin turbo was not going to be an option. HPA indicated that they were working on a single turbo setup with German counterpart HGP. After lots of waiting and lots of conversations the turbo kit arrived at VAGtech. In a World First my 400 BHP RHD R32 turbo rolled out of VAGtech in 2005 and was soon picked up and featured by VW Driver magazine.

I must admit when we were building the car I was sceptical as to how it would turn out with such a big turbo it had to be laggy, but it was just breath taking, I will never forget the first drive, the thing that impressed me the most was how quick the turbo spooled up, boost was instant and not a hint of lag.

After visiting HPA in Canada in Jan 2006 I turned my attention to new projects. In another world first VAGtech co built the only HPA equipped twin turbocharged car to be built outside of the HPA facility in Canada, the car was the second real Beetle RSI in existence to have the twin turbo setup installed and made its daubed at GTI International 2006. This was a crazy project we built for a customer who has since become a personal friend, the car is amazing the finish and attention to detail in the RSI has to been seen to be appreciated, to be given the opportunity to work so closely with HPA and install the most powerful turbo setup they do in such a special car was fantastic. The end result is just amazing the torque this car produces is stunning and the acceleration is mind blowing there are no other words to describe this car.

In another fist VAGtech also built the first Audi TT 3.2 V6 DSG Turbo witch also made its daubed at GTI International 2006 and went on to win the Audi 4WD class on both Saturday and Sunday recording a 0 to 60 time 3.9 sec and quarter mile in 12.2 sec. VAGtech has sine built a dozen or so V6 turbocharged cars for customers and has assisted other tuning companys in building cars with HGP/HPA turbo kits. In 2008 VAGtech achieved another UK first with the completion of the MK4 R32 normally aspirated project (NA) utilising HPAs CVP manifold.
As a car enthusiast myself I like to share my knowledge and experiences with others this is why I started VAGtech. By far the best part about running VAGtech is the people and friends I have made along the way

The 3.2 V6 engine is a further development of the popular VR6 engine developed by VW is the early nineties. Utilizing the same basic design the 3.2 V6 is a narrow angle 15 degree v arrangement, this allows for the engine to be transversely mounted and is suited to the more compact vehicles in the VAG range. The head and inlet side of the 3.2 V6 has been completely re designed, the 24 valve head and variable intake now enables the 3.2 V6 to develop 250 bhp. Traditionally being an normally aspirated engine the 3.2 V6 has limited tuning potential. VAGtech's long standing relationship with HPA and HGP has enabled us to offer some of the most exciting tuning programs available for car's based on this platform.

HGP in Germany started off designing the first V6 turbo kits, each turbo kit consists of many components. The main components are the turbo charger, based on a Garret R30 turbo with custom housings cast and machined to an exact spec by HGP. Cast Inlet manifold designed by HGP, cast exhaust manifold designed by HGP. Custom made silicone hosing designed by HGP . HPA in Canada source the main components from HGP in Germany. HPA have refined the kits by applying there extensive experience and knowledge to the kits by making custom piping heat shielding, fuel injectors and adding many other parts to make this kits more drivable more reliable and more factory fit. HGP and HPA now work together on development of the turbo kits and many of the main components are tweaked and developed by both partied to ensure the turbo kits offer the best possible driveability and reliability across all platforms. Each turbo kit represents the latest developments from both companys with the highest degree of attention to detail and vast experience you are assured of a quality product.

The turbo kits consist of so many proprietary components along with a vast investment in tooling and development by HGP and HPA, which is the reason it carries such a high price tag.

Each kit is assembled to order, the cast components are made in very small quantities to a very high precision, this is the reason why it takes some time to get a turbo kit delivered.

VAGtech are able to source kits from HGP in Germany, due to the high production cost there is no margin in the supply of turbo kits and for this reason there are no discounts. We charge a handling fee of 10% on top of the basic price quoted for the kit on the net, to cover variable costs associated with the exchange rate, bank transfer fees, shipping, etc. http://www.hgp-turbo.de/ for upto date pricing

However, VAGtech would be happy to quote and use their considerable experience and expertise to install a turbo kit supplied by the customer.

V6 Turbo Systems

Introduced in 2004, HPAs FT series single turbo are recognized today as one of the most reliable systems on the market for the 3.2L VR6. Engineered in partnership with HGP using Garrett turbo technology and proprietary cast housings and manifolds, the entire FT single turbo line offers the ultimate in single turbo performance straight out of the box!

The efficient ball bearing turbo cartridges offer superior throttle response and reduced turbo lag while the optimized turbine and compressor housings maximize the air flow. The special nickel-iron alloy used in our cast exhaust manifolds is specially formulated to offer the best balance between tensile strength and thermal efficiency. Our side mount intercoolers effectively cool the air charge while maintaining full air flow to the radiator and reducing the length of air travel from turbo to intake. The cast aluminum short runner intake manifold sustains higher boost levels than the factory plastic intake and maximizes the air intake to all six cylinders. Silicone boost plumbing directs the air charge through the intercoolers and into the intake manifold in as short a route possible while keeping it insulated from ambient heat.

The FT turbo systems offer unmatched component packaging, being quoted as the closest thing to a factory turbo money can buy. With all dyno results achieved on CA 91 octane, you are guaranteed an accelerating experience!