turbo gasket blew after a few miles

daithi23

Reaction score
So I got my car back together after the turbo had blown Monday. By Tuesday after about 10-20 hard ish miles it was blowing and sounded like a tractor. spent hours trying to check every bolt nut and stud from the manifold back. Turns out one section of the manifold to turbo gasket blew. Looks like a major failure on one side. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? I'll obviously be ringing audi tomorrow.

I'll upload a photo when in at my desk in the morning.

bolts loose? reused bolts dont usually stay in place.. once ****** they're never the same again.
also, if std k04 it can unwind one of the inserts out of the hotside so the sealing face would never sit flat like that and gaskets will not sit flat or seal

had the same problem with mine when garage changed my engine last year told them to use new bolts and two gaskets and been right ever since up until a couple of weeks ago when got her remapped so she in tomorrow for a new three inch down pipe and decat also think my engine mounts might be warn but they will have to wait a couple of weeks

Thanks lads. Turns out one of the bolts had come loose so I'm guessing that's the cause. I'll use some heat resistant locktight when putting it back. It's driving nicely now with the old gasket back in place until the new one arrives tomorrow.

Thanks lads. Turns out one of the bolts had come loose so I'm guessing that's the cause. I'll use some heat resistant locktight when putting it back. It's driving nicely now with the old gasket back in place until the new one arrives tomorrow.

As Bill said then.... buy new bolts as this will happen again...

<tuffty/>

new bolts fella.. dont skimp on them
i would be surprised if loctite coped with 900+'c temps

Yeah, I ordered new ones this morning. When I was putting it all back together two weeks ago I had them ordered, but Audi gave me the studs with nuts, which won't work as a socket won't fit down the gap in the manifold to get a squeeze on them. I have arranged for Audi to collect the studs and replace them with the proper bolts. So close to getting finished now and it's all the small stupid things holding me up.

I had thought so too Bill, but no... I asked for all the studs and bolts, I got 4 studs and nuts for the DP even though there was only a need for three, and I got the same three studs and nuts for the turbo to mani. I had a bit of an argument with my local parts manager in Audi last Tuesday over it. Really didn't fill me with much confidence.

I highly doubt it, but I'll let you know tomorrow. They bolts are 9 euro ish as are the washers, so they're pretty f'ing expensive washers!