Turbo eating car

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As the title suggests, my car loves munching turbos. I've had it for 7 years in January, and am currently on the 4th turbo (1 being new when i bought it). They seem to be lasting around 18 months / 6-10k miles. Basically, every time it seems that something has 'blocked' the oil way in the turbo. I have had turbos from Universal Turbos, CR Turbos and currently, BBT. Dan very kindly rebuilt my turbo back in April, but it seems to be going the same way, after just 6k miles.

I am getting really frustrated now! This turbo, and the last (not sure about previous), both have had damage to the compressor wheel (intake) - air filter looks to be in good shape (S2000), nothing obvious in the TIP, so can only imagine carbon from the engine breather. Is this a possibility!? I have now got a catch can to try eliminate this.

Between the 4 turbos, I have changed oil pump, pick up pipe (when fitted rods), turbo oil feed pipe and plenty of oil changes (6k miles max). It really is ruining the car for me, even though it still pulls well, I noticed an extremely faint 'drill' noise earlier, and last couple of days, a siren noise when cold (once oil is up to 40ish degrees, it goes) It's run on 5w30 fully synthetic oil. Only thing I haven't managed to do, is check oil pressure, but engine seems fine, and have never had an oil light on, except once, when the level hit the minimum (that was a one off!!!). I am always aware of letting it warm up, cool down, bla bla bla...

I've probably left something out, but if anyone can shed any light on this matter, I'd be eternally grateful!

Hi.

First of all: Sorry for my bad english... i hope you can understand me.

If you got damaged compressor wheel then check your air filter because maybe looks good, but maybe not working well.
Check little holes, if it breathing in something, that's not good. S2000 filters can breathing in little dusts or other staff.
You got there a heat shield beside the turbo. If it's old and not working well then the heat can kill your turbo.
Bad or not tuned remap also can kill your turbo earlier. Try to find a good mechanic and check everything out.
Im just try to find what is the problem, but if you not see something, then hard to find the problem.
Mine turbo is rebuild almost 2 years ago and still going well after 22k miles.
I hope you gonna find the problem soon.

Hi.

First of all: Sorry for my bad english... i hope you can understand me.

If you got damaged compressor wheel then check your air filter because maybe looks good, but maybe not working well.
Check little holes, if it breathing in something, that's not good. S2000 filters can breathing in little dusts or other staff.
You got there a heat shield beside the turbo. If it's old and not working well then the heat can kill your turbo.
Bad or not tuned remap also can kill your turbo earlier. Try to find a good mechanic and check everything out.
Im just try to find what is the problem, but if you not see something, then hard to find the problem.
Mine turbo is rebuild almost 2 years ago and still going well after 22k miles.
I hope you gonna find the problem soon.

Yeah, like I said, nothing obvious from the air filter and it is mapped by Bill @ Badger5, so don't have any worries there. I have a heat shield, but only really protecting the top hose. It's the same as many people are running, so very much doubt that a problem. Thanks

What air filter are you running? Cone, K&N style panel or paper?

Stock Honda S2000 paper filter.

To be honest, I have suspicions of carbon in the oil ways. Is this a possibility, even though I have done numerous oil changes. It's just that every turbo seems to have a blocked oil way and maybe carbon deposits going through the turbo.

Yeah, like I said, nothing obvious from the air filter and it is mapped by Bill @ Badger5, so don't have any worries there. I have a heat shield, but only really protecting the top hose. It's the same as many people are running, so very much doubt that a problem. Thanks

Stock Honda S2000 paper filter.

To be honest, I have suspicions of carbon in the oil ways. Is this a possibility, even though I have done numerous oil changes. It's just that every turbo seems to have a blocked oil way and maybe carbon deposits going through the turbo.

Yeah, maybe try a engine flush then. Oil changes not gonna fix carbon problems.
If your heat shield is fine then ok, but i just sayin heat can block your oil way.

I had read a lot of things saying not to engine flush an engine, especially a turbo engine, but I guess, I don't have much to loose on this one... that's the way it feels currently anyway.

I have engine flushed my S3 and the Mazda 3 I have - I am hoping it will dissolve the lucky penny in the sump ;-)

Reactions: sam4191
I had read a lot of things saying not to engine flush an engine, especially a turbo engine, but I guess, I don't have much to loose on this one... that's the way it feels currently anyway.

If u read a lot, then maybe u alredy know, what i wanna said, but maybe not, so...
Don't use engine flush product at home, that 50-50 chance you making more damage, because the engine running and
there is a danger of recirculating wear metal particulates. Thats why lot of people saying that.
Find a workshop, where they got a engine flusher machine, which is working when your engine is not running.

Reactions: sam4191 and IPG
...and never waste your money on Terraclean, Carbon Clean or any other Unicorn Fart technology.

Reactions: badger5
I don't really rate Terraclean, seen this on another forum after having it done

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 98
I got mine done and comparing last years mot emissions and this years there is a very noticeable drop in them. That is why i said about it cause i saw the benifits of it.

Emissions will be lower for a while because the ECU is dealing with a different type of chemical combustion which will correct itself in time. It won't make any difference to your tax, so I wouldn't worry. The same would happen if you used an injector cleaner.
There is no proof it works. Even though it's been out for years, not one company has ever done a strip down to show the engine full of carbon, rebuild, run, and then strip down again, which would be the very first thing any respectable company would do. The reason they haven't done it is because it doesn't work.
Try to find ONE respectable tuning company that would endorse any of these products? You won't, because it doesn't work. Take for instance the likes of R-Tech, Shark, MRC Tuning, they could make an absolute fortune by running this on every car that came through the door as we would all get it done if it worked. But they don't offer the service. Just ask yourself why...
Next time one of their ill-informed sales people tries to get you to waste your hard earned money on it, ask them for physical proof. Photos of actual carbon and then it gone after their product and done at a known tuning company, not some endorsed back street garage. They wont, because it doesn't work. I've called a their bluff so many times on many car pages on Facebook and they all just say "ask people who have had it done". ********, give me some actual proof.
I get so ****** off with these twats because they are ripping people off. Ask them about the "chemical reaction" that their machine produces. The best one I've heard so far is that it "positively charges the atoms and then the negatively charged carbon sticks to it". Do me a favour, I"m not six. They all talk ********.
When someone with any kind of respect in the tuning industry actually starts using a product, then I'll listen.

Hydro, if you run water meth, that will clean your engine better than hydro-clean, terra clean, carbon clean or whatever they are rebranding themselves as this year.

Find Matt Wallace who runs Carbon Clean UK and ask him for some physical proof. Ask him to take one of his Audi's to MRC Tuning and run his magic machine. He wont because it doesn't work.
I'll even provide a car and if it works, I'll pay for everything, if it doesn't he pays ;)

The top picture is of my emissions after my recent mot and the bottom one is of a mates who just passed his mot but hasnt had it terracleaned. As u can see the emissions are well down so thats what makes me think it works.
20170102 130940
IMG 20161203 WA0002

The problem with that comparison is they are different cars, your mate needs to now "mega ultra terra clean" his car for a month or whatever then retest to see if his figures go as low as yours.

there is a massive difference between the too though, your mate is borderline pass - did they have to run at high revs for 5 minutes to get a pass rate?

also isn't some carbon deposits etc actually good for the health of the engine? a bit like using titanium for broken bones, it rusts immediately it comes in contact with body fluids which protects it from erosion.

He is going to get it done shortly then ill compare the two. No didnt have to run it at high revs just get it up to temp before u go to test centre and that was the result.

What i was saying that if i had not got mine done then mine would have been more than what it says. I know all cars are different but i defiantly thing the teraclean has made my emissions lower to 1 that is not.