Turbo cut out

Simon Goldsworthy-Hill

Reaction score
Hello all,

My first time posting in the forum. It has been a great source of help!

I am currently repairing an A4 1.9TDI 52 Plate avent. Its a lovely car, but sometimes, mainly under load the turbo will cut out and it will be turbo less until i turn the engine off and on again.

I have checked all the vaccum lines and replaced n75. Still does it. I have cleaned out the EGR too. The fact it is reset by turning it off and on again, it must be electrical. I know there are two other vaccumm actuators, and wonder if i should replace them too.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to get a diagnostic, but I would suspect that you have sticking turbo vanes, which is a very common problem.

I had the same thing one mine a little while ago.
I'm no expert, but it seemed like the actuator on the turbo was very stiff/wouldn't move by hand, guessing this is related to sticky vanes?
I put some of the turbo cleaner in the fuel, revved it highish down the motorway for a bit, then i was able to move the actuator by hand, it got a lot free'er afterwards & touchwood it's been ok since.
Whether it was the ragging, the moving by hand or the turbo cleaner or a combination I'm not sure. I've just got another bottle to throw in the tank today actually just to 'hopefully' keep on top of it.

Yes stiff vanes = stiff actuator .

There's a direct corolation to how smoky the car is and vnt troubles as the soot builds up .

To keep good combustion and lower soot , 2 Stroke oil / 2 - EHN added to fuel , a low ash C3 PD oil such as 507.00 and the egr being disabled . Also a healthy thermostat all keep a low score for the MOT smoke opacity test .

And a good ranting now and then .

Reactions: norris_309
Damn, my thermostat has just decided to fail!.. i do use longlife 3 every year/10k
Better get the thermostat done then (it'll be the second i've had in my ownership 50k miles)

Does removing the rubber pipe on top of the egr valve disable it? or does it need completely removing to take advantage? mine seems to be leaking a bit of oil from under the dome type bit on the top (forgive my descriptions!)

Yes pull vac line and plug vac line , but if the car was actually made after 2003 it will throw an EML after a bit of driving. It's just an EML , no limp mode etc .

Build sticker OGE = good to go , OGZ = EML .

To avoid EML , options are remap , egr adaption in VCDS , or a restrictor plate.

Reactions: norris_309