turbo choice?

sandwich1987

Reaction score
I've been try to choose a turbo for my stroker set up, I've been speaking briefly to owensdevelopments and they've suggested a few options.

I'm looking for 400-500+bhp and was thinking of a gtx3076 or a hta m-spec gt3076 from Owens, but after speaking to them that suggested going for the smaller gt3071 in either form, just looking for peoples opinion/experience with the above turbos?
Cheers
Liam

Take a look at tufftys build to see what a 3071 gets you.

I wouldnt say its a "500+" turbo. "400ish" is more like it.

Your range is really too wide though, theres a chasm between 400 and 500+. You need to firm that up before looking IMO.

Take a look at tufftys build to see what a 3071 gets you.

I wouldnt say its a "500+" turbo. "400ish" is more like it.

Your range is really too wide though, theres a chasm between 400 and 500+. You need to firm that up before looking IMO.

I've looked at tufftys build but Im looking at the turbo being able to provide 400 as a sort of base level, to be more accurate I'm looking for capable of 500+ bhp even tho I might not take it to that level.

Problem is you need to choose the right turbo.

If you fit a 600hp turbo and run it at 400hp, then you have all the negatives of a 600hp turbo (lag and boost threshold) but you've only got 400hp. Compared with car with a 400hp turbo thats making 400hp would be a far nicer car to drive.

If you think about it, its like saying you want to fit a GT3071, then tune it to the same 280hp as you'd get from the stock turbo on stage2.

Reactions: s3dave
Problem is you need to choose the right turbo.

If you fit a 600hp turbo and run it at 400hp, then you have all the negatives of a 600hp turbo (lag and boost threshold) but you've only got 400hp. Compared with car with a 400hp turbo thats making 400hp would be a far nicer car to drive.

If you think about it, its like saying you want to fit a GT3071, then tune it to the same 280hp as you'd get from the stock turbo on
stage2.

Yeah makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.

I've been try to choose a turbo for my stroker set up, I've been speaking briefly to owensdevelopments and they've suggested a few options.

I'm looking for 400-500+bhp and was thinking of a gtx3076 or a hta m-spec gt3076 from Owens, but after speaking to them that suggested going for the smaller gt3071 in either form, just looking for peoples opinion/experience with the above turbos?
Cheers
Liam

what spec is your engine?

Its a 2.1l 9.5 cr je 83mm pistons, ie rods, head ported and polished by Andrew with supertech inconel exhaust and nitrided intake valves 3-groove, supertech spring and retainers

Reactions: s3dave