turbo choice?

sandwich1987

I've been try to choose a turbo for my stroker set up, I've been speaking briefly to owensdevelopments and they've suggested a few options.

I'm looking for 400-500+bhp and was thinking of a gtx3076 or a hta m-spec gt3076 from Owens, but after speaking to them that suggested going for the smaller gt3071 in either form, just looking for peoples opinion/experience with the above turbos?
Cheers
Liam

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Take a look at tufftys build to see what a 3071 gets you.

I wouldnt say its a "500+" turbo. "400ish" is more like it.

Your range is really too wide though, theres a chasm between 400 and 500+. You need to firm that up before looking IMO.

sandwich1987

Take a look at tufftys build to see what a 3071 gets you.

I wouldnt say its a "500+" turbo. "400ish" is more like it.

Your range is really too wide though, theres a chasm between 400 and 500+. You need to firm that up before looking IMO.

I've looked at tufftys build but Im looking at the turbo being able to provide 400 as a sort of base level, to be more accurate I'm looking for capable of 500+ bhp even tho I might not take it to that level.

sandwich1987

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Problem is you need to choose the right turbo.

If you fit a 600hp turbo and run it at 400hp, then you have all the negatives of a 600hp turbo (lag and boost threshold) but you've only got 400hp. Compared with car with a 400hp turbo thats making 400hp would be a far nicer car to drive.

If you think about it, its like saying you want to fit a GT3071, then tune it to the same 280hp as you'd get from the stock turbo on stage2.

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
HTA3576

or one of the EFR series

sandwich1987

Problem is you need to choose the right turbo.

If you fit a 600hp turbo and run it at 400hp, then you have all the negatives of a 600hp turbo (lag and boost threshold) but you've only got 400hp. Compared with car with a 400hp turbo thats making 400hp would be a far nicer car to drive.

If you think about it, its like saying you want to fit a GT3071, then tune it to the same 280hp as you'd get from the stock turbo on
stage2.

Yeah makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.

StaceyS3

Know where there's a gtx3071 that with extremely little use ;)

badger5

www.badger5.co.uk
Site Sponsor
I've been try to choose a turbo for my stroker set up, I've been speaking briefly to owensdevelopments and they've suggested a few options.

I'm looking for 400-500+bhp and was thinking of a gtx3076 or a hta m-spec gt3076 from Owens, but after speaking to them that suggested going for the smaller gt3071 in either form, just looking for peoples opinion/experience with the above turbos?
Cheers
Liam

what spec is your engine?

sandwich1987

Its a 2.1l 9.5 cr je 83mm pistons, ie rods, head ported and polished by Andrew with supertech inconel exhaust and nitrided intake valves 3-groove, supertech spring and retainers